The Student Room Group

Best way to revise maths in the last 3 weeks?

There are only 3 weeks left and I need at least a grade 6 in maths does anyone have nay ideas on how to revise maths well?
Original post by ebony_7
There are only 3 weeks left and I need at least a grade 6 in maths does anyone have nay ideas on how to revise maths well?

Use hegerty maths
Original post by propergoodman
Use hegerty maths

Yeah good point I've used that before I guess practise is the best way, thanks.
Original post by ebony_7

Also make a flashcards up until last minute. Only do practice papers night before etc
Also make a flashcards up until last minute. Only do practice papers night before etc

Why the night before?
Reply 5
(Original post by ebony_7)There are only 3 weeks left and I need at least a grade 6 in maths does anyone have nay ideas on how to revise maths well

If you haven't already started sitting past papers I'd say plan to sit them with a couple days in between so you can mark it, review it, maybe watch a walkthrough of the paper on YouTube, identify topics you need to work on and then revise for the next paper. I did this for GCSE and I'm currently doing this for A-Levels and it works really well for me at least (don't forget revision methods work differently for everyone).

This means you get exam practise, Mark it yourself and understand how mark schemes work, you mimic exam conditions to prepare you for the real thing, identify topics you struggle on and most importantly CONSOLIDATE your learning after sitting these. There's no in point sitting papers if you don't review and practise questions after by actively targeting what your bad at. Its uncomfortable at first but IMPERATIVE for improvement.

Here's what I'd advise you to do:

Space out papers so you sit one every 3/4 days
Sit the papers in order of years - considering you only have 3 weeks left I'd say ignore the SAM and Specimen papers and start from 2017
Mark them and watch a exam walkthrough of the paper alongside - refer to it when your confused about a question and the mark scheme isn't enough
Sit them in EXAM CONDITIONS!!

To revise after having sat a paper:
Use Maths upgrade . Out of all the Maths websites I used for my GCSE's Maths upgrade by far had the hardest questions. These will push you and expose you to harder questions which you WANT to be doing if you want good grades no matter how uncomfortable getting things wrong repeatedly is because its a process and doesn't work overnight but I GUARANTEE you it absolutely worked for me.

Goodluck!
Reply 6

I firmly disagree. Flashcards are relatively pointless for Maths. Exam practise is what will expose you to the sorts of questions you will see in exams and through practise you will remember equations, methods, key words, what topic questions are targeting and how to answer questions. It's virtually useless at this time in the year 3 weeks before your ACTUAL GCSES. It's not a top priority so don't even bother. Trust me Its a waste of your time and the next 3 weeks are precious so use them wisely!!

Also papers the night before is NOT enough time for anything to sink in. You are basically answering questions with no purpose and picking up nothing from it hoping you will remember it in your exam the following day. THAT is not exam practise. Exam practise is making yourself subject to exam conditions and sitting papers in a given time and supporting that with consolidation so you strengthen your knowledge and build on what you don't know.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Io0
(Original post by ebony_7)There are only 3 weeks left and I need at least a grade 6 in maths does anyone have nay ideas on how to revise maths well

If you haven't already started sitting past papers I'd say plan to sit them with a couple days in between so you can mark it, review it, maybe watch a walkthrough of the paper on YouTube, identify topics you need to work on and then revise for the next paper. I did this for GCSE and I'm currently doing this for A-Levels and it works really well for me at least (don't forget revision methods work differently for everyone).

This means you get exam practise, Mark it yourself and understand how mark schemes work, you mimic exam conditions to prepare you for the real thing, identify topics you struggle on and most importantly CONSOLIDATE your learning after sitting these. There's no in point sitting papers if you don't review and practise questions after by actively targeting what your bad at. Its uncomfortable at first but IMPERATIVE for improvement.

Here's what I'd advise you to do:

Space out papers so you sit one every 3/4 days
Sit the papers in order of years - considering you only have 3 weeks left I'd say ignore the SAM and Specimen papers and start from 2017
Mark them and watch a exam walkthrough of the paper alongside - refer to it when your confused about a question and the mark scheme isn't enough
Sit them in EXAM CONDITIONS!!

To revise after having sat a paper:
Use Maths upgrade . Out of all the Maths websites I used for my GCSE's Maths upgrade by far had the hardest questions. These will push you and expose you to harder questions which you WANT to be doing if you want good grades no matter how uncomfortable getting things wrong repeatedly is because its a process and doesn't work overnight but I GUARANTEE you it absolutely worked for me.

Goodluck!

Thank you so much!!! I usually start going thru the topic list but it takes so long and most I already know so I think this will help me know what I need to work on quicker. Thanks
True thank you
Reply 9

Flash cards for maths??? I would advise questions, questions and questions
Reply 10
Original post by ebony_7
Thank you so much!!! I usually start going thru the topic list but it takes so long and most I already know so I think this will help me know what I need to work on quicker. Thanks

No problem! Rather than going through the topic list I'd say jump straight into it. Rather than looking through the list, sitting the exam not only will give you an idea of what you do and don't know but you'll be able to filter the topics you don't know based on how you performed on questions and then immediately target those with some revision
Original post by Io0
No problem! Rather than going through the topic list I'd say jump straight into it. Rather than looking through the list, sitting the exam not only will give you an idea of what you do and don't know but you'll be able to filter the topics you don't know based on how you performed on questions and then immediately target those with some revision

Exactly! Thanks 😊
Original post by ebony_7

Heya!
The best way is to do lots of practice questions + go through the mark scheme :h: If it helps, Study Mind has lots of free past paper resources you will find helpful!

I hope this helps!
MIlena
UCL FPE
Study Mind
Original post by StudyMind
Heya!
The best way is to do lots of practice questions + go through the mark scheme :h: If it helps, Study Mind has lots of free past paper resources you will find helpful!

I hope this helps!
MIlena
UCL FPE
Study Mind

Thank you!!!
Original post by ebony_7

Original post by ebony_7

Don't make flashcards - they don't work well for Maths.

Which board? I'll recommend what I use with my students :smile:
Do as many practice papers as you can under timed conditions, and make a note of topics which you are finding more difficult/consistently answering incorrectly. Do topic questions for weak topics if necessary. The key to doing well in maths is practice so make use of all the questions available online. Good luck!
Original post by Muttley79
Don't make flashcards - they don't work well for Maths.

Which board? I'll recommend what I use with my students :smile:

Edexcel.
I would strongly suggest to watch the GCSE maths tutor on YouTube, and use Corbettmaths website.
Original post by ebony_7
Original post by ebony_7
Edexcel.

Maths passports 3 and 4: https://www.missbsresources.com/teaching-and-learning/mathspassports [highlights gaps]

MathsMadeEasy: https://mmerevise.co.uk/gcse-maths-revision/edexcel/ [practising weaker areas]

Ask you teacher for the checklist Edexcel released a few weeks back.

Also Dr Frost: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/courses.php?coid=13
Original post by Muttley79
Maths passports 3 and 4: https://www.missbsresources.com/teaching-and-learning/mathspassports [highlights gaps]

MathsMadeEasy: https://mmerevise.co.uk/gcse-maths-revision/edexcel/ [practising weaker areas]

Ask you teacher for the checklist Edexcel released a few weeks back.

Also Dr Frost: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/courses.php?coid=13

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest