The Student Room Group

[ERA III] a squeezing, wrenching, grasping, scraping, clutching, covetous old student

[12/01/2024] TITLE1: ---SOMETIMES I FORGET MY GCSEs ARE IN 4 MONTHS...

Fri 12/01/24:
I've been putting off revision ever since it dawned upon me that now was the real time to do so. Since the beginning of year 11 I've been doing it bit by bit, but not in the way most people think when the phrase "bit by bit" is usually heard. When I say bit by bit, I mean like 2 minutes of freesciencelessons and then straight to YouTube for a couple of hours, and every year I say: "No! This will be a new year!! I will revise properly this time!". Yet every year I end up disappointing myself.

Well. Perhaps you wanted to hear something a bit more uplifting, something a bit less predictable and something a bit more profound. Maybe I finally found the cure to procrastination, maybe I've finally found the ability to unlock 100000% of my brain power as the myth goes. Unfortunately, this is not the case. I have simply come here to let myself and anybody else reading that this is the year 2024, meaning: a new year. (Yes, here we go again). And this is the year where I will tell myself that "I will revise properly this time!". As I do every year. So I guess we'll only have wait and see. Maybe this time things may be different. Maybe not.

- theuttersasquatch

Sat 27/01/24:
[Just writing this because I got bored with revision and haven't written in a long time ]
So far actually getting into revision has been fairly easy. I have had no problems for the time being and hope to finish all history lessons by tomorrow because I was on holiday for a bit and am in the middle of catch-up. To be totally honest, I was meant to complete it today, but I spent too much time with science revision. Either way, it's all good.
Also: my achieved grades for subjects: [CS:9, Eng Lit: 9, Chemistry: 9, Biology: 8, Physics: 8, Maths: 8, Sociology: 8, Spanish: 8, History: 8, Eng Lang: 8]. My school doesn't give out predicted grades unfortunately. So I don't think I'll be getting into brampton with these grades but the GCSES are what matter I guess.

In terms of food: I love Indomie Noodles. Best food to keep you going. Cures depression, anxiety, cancer, and all the rest in one serving. Yum. I'm planning to eat a packet of indomie once a week for every week since it's like, 16 weeks until the GCSES or smth. Then on the last day, I will eat takeaway as my last meal before the big day!

Week 1: Indomie Eaten? [Check!]
Also I'm learning Jealous by Eyedress on guitar. It's going well but not well enough to be documented in this blog unfortunately

[01/02/2024] TITLE 2: ---IS IT POSSIBLE TO LEARN 2 YEARS OF WORTH OF WORK IN 3 MONTHS?

Thur 01/02/024:
Yes. Of course, because any other answer would not be acceptable to me lol. Anyways, just a little update: I have actually revised every day after the very first diary entry, but now I need to ramp it up. Every week, I will focus on one subject, for the first month, then I will take in extra detail by the last two months. The very last month will purely be exam practice. If you don't believe I'll be able to realistically do this, I have already started (^_^)b

Going to go revise with freesciencelessons now, I will hopefully be able to update later before bed >:biggrin:

Bye,
sasquatch

[03/03/2024] A SQUEEZING, WRENCHING, GRASPING, SCRAPING, CLUTCHING, COVETOUS OLD STUDENT

Sun 03/03/2024:
First of all: two months left. Wow. Time has gone by really quickly. Secondly: sorry for not updating so much. On the bright side, contrary to what might have been expected, this is not because I forgot all about this project but actually because I've been revising almost 24/7 so far (SUCCESS STORY!! ^^). I like this blog title, so I think I'm gonna keep it for the next eras perhaps haha. Third of all: YESSSS PHYSICS PAPER 2 IS MY LAST GCSE EXAM LET'S GOOOOOOOOO

I've had sleepless nights worrying about magnetism. Dreams of the generator effect and DC motors haunting me in my sleep. But I still have some solace at least. I have more time to prepare for physics than anything else. And I've nearly completed all my notes on it. But instead I'm here to procrastinate.

The thing that kick-started my revision to its full energy was actually the fact that we have mocks these weeks. So far I've done sociology paper 1, computer science paper 1, english lit and lang paper 1, maths paper 1, history paper 1 and some other stuff I've forgotten about/can't be arsed to write about. So far I think I have done almost exceptionally well in everything except from perhaps history and english lang, where I think I did pretty okay in rather than realllllllly good. When I say I'm sure I did exceptionally well, I mean I'm sure I put my all into it.

I've decided what sixth form I'd like to go to as well, which is another reason why I've been revising so much because I just really want to go there: Nonsuch Sixth Form. It's near me so that's good. At one point I wanted to go to Brampton but I can't imagine going to Stratford or East Ham or whatever everyday. So I decided to go to Nonsuch I think because ngl Wallington looks a little dead, but then again the last time I went there was in year 6 for y'know. (11+)

60 days left but when I look at it more and more I think I can do it. My notes are all over the place and I never properly revised for Spanish but I have been doing good so far and as long as I get confident in science nothing else will matter to me. But just so I don't delude myself into over-revising for some things, let me create a list of subjects I am not all too confident in from 0 being not too confident to 10 being very confident.

Maths: 10
Science: 5
English: 8
History: 6
CS: 9
Sociology: 10
Spanish: 4

By the next 3 weeks I'll be checking back to see if science has risen to at least a 9. Along with history.
I also realised that Weimar/Nazi Germany is my second last paper. But I actually really enjoy Weimar/Nazi Germany so all is good anyways :smile:

Happy studying :smile:
(edited 1 month ago)
Save your energy and don't start revising until April. I got all 9s and 8s and I can guarantee you that short-term memory is the most important and after your GCSEs you will regret spending so much time revising on them and thinking about them. I only did night before revision and remembered more. Dont burn yourself out :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by jad3msryann
Save your energy and don't start revising until April. I got all 9s and 8s and I can guarantee you that short-term memory is the most important and after your GCSEs you will regret spending so much time revising on them and thinking about them. I only did night before revision and remembered more. Dont burn yourself out :smile:

You are actually going around the site giving the worst advice.Please stop.
Reply 3
Original post by srslysasquatch
Fri 12/01/24:
I've been putting off revision ever since it dawned upon me that now was the real time to do so. Since the beginning of year 11 I've been doing it bit by bit, but not in the way most people think when the phrase "bit by bit" is usually heard. When I say bit by bit, I mean like 2 minutes of freesciencelessons and then straight to YouTube for a couple of hours, and every year I say: "No! This will be a new year!! I will revise properly this time!". Yet every year I end up disappointing myself.

Well. Perhaps you wanted to hear something a bit more uplifting, something a bit less predictable and something a bit more profound. Maybe I finally found the cure to procrastination, maybe I've finally found the ability to unlock 100000% of my brain power as the myth goes. Unfortunately, this is not the case. I have simply come here to let myself and anybody else reading that this is the year 2024, meaning: a new year. (Yes, here we go again). And this is the year where I will tell myself that "I will revise properly this time!". As I do every year. So I guess we'll only have wait and see. Maybe this time things may be different. Maybe not.

- theuttersasquatch

I think the key to this is short term pain long term gain.If you want to do the A levels you want rather than the left over subjects you don't then I suggest you start getting serious about school work.I would suggest you start revising at Feb half term and from Easter onwards just keep at it.Work out what works best for you,note making,flash cards or past papers and just think come the end of June I will be finished and those results will be there forever.
Original post by Scotney
You are actually going around the site giving the worst advice.Please stop.

I literally said for them to revise from Easter onwards and you said the same thing?? I'm sharing my own RECENT experience as I didn't pass my exams 10 years ago like you probably did..
Reply 5
I literally said for them to revise from Easter onwards and you said the same thing?? I'm sharing my own RECENT experience as I didn't pass my exams 10 years ago like you probably did..

It was the I only did night before revision and got 8's and 9's bit that I objected to.
Original post by Scotney
It was the I only did night before revision and got 8's and 9's bit that I objected to.

But it is 100% true. Showing up to all your lessons is a huge part of how I achieved those grades so I did not need to stress myself out with unneeded revision it just becomes muscle memory
dont worry guys just read the textbooks and you should be able tpo get all 8s and 9s like me and i also got 2 A*s at a level and got into ucl. happy revision!

I get where you're coming from because I actually used this approach in Year 9 (lazily) and it went well, but I will say it's definitely not the most efficient way. Long-term learning and short-time mixed is probs the best approach imo and you don't lose anything from extended revision tbf
Original post by Scotney
I think the key to this is short term pain long term gain.If you want to do the A levels you want rather than the left over subjects you don't then I suggest you start getting serious about school work.I would suggest you start revising at Feb half term and from Easter onwards just keep at it.Work out what works best for you,note making,flash cards or past papers and just think come the end of June I will be finished and those results will be there forever.

Yeah so true, if there's anything worse than revision, it's not getting the grades you wished you could have
plus revision isn't really that bad once you start doing it to be honest
Original post by monkeyman12345
dont worry guys just read the textbooks and you should be able tpo get all 8s and 9s like me and i also got 2 A*s at a level and got into ucl. happy revision!

thanks!
Reply 11
lol there is no way people are giving such bad advice on this thread
Reply 12
hihi!! i'm in the exact same situation, but here are my two cents, if you're willing to hear some advice! i get that studying is honestly the worst thing ever, and with mocks and past papers, the pressure gets waaay too intense. i know my points are gonna def sound cliche too, but having a plan is the biggest step besides actually getting into studying lolol. personally, i don't have an hourly schedule in my head because it feels too restrictive, but something general like "three to four topics of maths + one science section + a topic of any option subject of your choosing" [based on my own weaknesses] has been helping me out loads! it's the freedom of choosing a topic but still getting it done that helps. be sure to refer to the specs from your exam board too, not just for the sake of making sure you don't miss anything, but the satisfaction of crossing it out aswell. sometimes, the videogame approach of 'complete every side quest' is actually pretty fulfilling, even if it's a bit silly. as someone who wants to get from 6's to 8's, it's a pretty big leap! buuuut, besides all that serious stuff, breaks and the occasional hour or two of enjoyment is also fulfilling. take regular pauses, listen to a song, make a food you like!! it's stressful for everyone, us as no exception, but we got this!!! just 4-5 months and we'll be fully free. it's not a lot of time, but hopefully some positive thinking regarding it will help out here ^w^
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 13
Original post by takeda
lol there is no way people are giving such bad advice on this thread

Care to share your wisdom.
Original post by NE0NP1NK
hihi!! i'm in the exact same situation, but here are my two cents, if you're willing to hear some advice! i get that studying is honestly the worst thing ever, and with mocks and past papers, the pressure gets waaay too intense. i know my points are gonna def sound cliche too, but having a plan is the biggest step besides actually getting into studying lolol. personally, i don't have an hourly schedule in my head because it feels too restrictive, but something general like "three to four topics of maths + one science section + a topic of any option subject of your choosing" [based on my own weaknesses] has been helping me out loads! it's the freedom of choosing a topic but still getting it done that helps. be sure to refer to the specs from your exam board too, not just for the sake of making sure you don't miss anything, but the satisfaction of crossing it out aswell. sometimes, the videogame approach of 'complete every side quest' is actually pretty fulfilling, even if it's a bit silly. as someone who wants to get from 6's to 8's, it's a pretty big leap! buuuut, besides all that serious stuff, breaks and the occasional hour or two of enjoyment is also fulfilling. take regular pauses, listen to a song, make a food you like!! it's stressful for everyone, us as no exception, but we got this!!! just 4-5 months and we'll be fully free. it's not a lot of time, but hopefully some positive thinking regarding it will help out here ^w^

thanks for all the advice, it's funny because i've begun doing these exact things last december haha. on one hand i still can't believe it's only 4 months left x_x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending