The Student Room Group

How do I deal with mocks!

I have my mocks in 1 week and I've barely revised until now because of submitting my PS and coursework in Jan so I'm cramming all my revision into this half-term. I'm doing about 8-10 hours of revision a day and basically just past papers and flashcards for case studies. I'm worried about a few things though.

1. Burnout- I don't want to do too much now and then be completely demotivated for my actual exams. My mocks end on 1 march so then there's really not that much time left until the actual exams and I can't really afford to be unmotivated. So how much are you supposed to be revising for mocks and how stressed should I be?

2. Past papers- I know past papers are the best way to revise hence wise I've been doing them now to make the most out of my one week. But I've seen a lot of people saying I should save them for the actual exams? Is this really necessary?

3. To what extent are these mocks a reflection of what I'll get in my final exams?

I was predicted A*A*A* after y12 mocks and I've gotten a uni offer that requires A*A*A. So ideally for mocks, I'm hoping to get an AAA but I don't know how possible that is with only a week of revision (my current report at school for unit tests and such is A*AC, the C being maths).

Just looking for some advice and insight here :smile:

I would be careful about working, I would say do no more than 8 hours a day, so you may want to cut back on the amount of work you are doing.

I have been saving past papers for my actual A-levels because I want to use them to test to see where I need to spend my energy revising, but I don't think there is one correct way to use past papers.

I don't know, there are so many factors that could affect the results you get in the summer. I would think you would probably do better in the real thing because mocks are a good practise.

Reply 2
Original post by flowersinmyhair

I would be careful about working, I would say do no more than 8 hours a day, so you may want to cut back on the amount of work you are doing.

I have been saving past papers for my actual A-levels because I want to use them to test to see where I need to spend my energy revising, but I don't think there is one correct way to use past papers.

I don't know, there are so many factors that could affect the results you get in the summer. I would think you would probably do better in the real thing because mocks are a good practise.

Thanks for the reply :smile: I think you're right about the last point now that I'm thinking about it. There's still quite a bit of time to do some more revision before exams in May so my grades should hopefully improve. Just the whole last minute stress getting to my head I think!

Quick Reply

Latest