The Student Room Group

Few weeks until GCSEs, and I'm kinda screwed

So I'd usually get 7s and 8s across my GCSE subjects with barely any revision/studying at home, which I used as an excuse to procrastinate over the past few months by overestimating myself (obviously a dumb choice).

Now, unsurprisingly I've realised that isn't going to slide for the real deal, and I've forgotten quite a bit since the mock exams, which means I may be at risk of getting grades that are lower than expected for me.

I'm definitely not asking for techniques that will get me 3 grades higher in 2 weeks 😭 however, I was wondering if there would be any ways for me to effectively cover content I may have forgotten or found hard over the months.

I feel like past papers won't help much as they take quite a while to do and mark, and I can only allocate a set number of hours for each subject, as I have 9 GCSEs to revise for over a matter of weeks.

I do have subjects that should take priority, such as english lit, biology and chemistry (I do triple higher), and some that I just need to cover and get taken care of (eg: maths + english language).

What would be the best way to revise and ensure I can get an acceptable grade for all my subjects? I'm not looking for miracle techniques that will get me a 9 in a week, just effective and trusted methods that actually work for the exams.
Reply 1
Original post by Uh_oh221
So I'd usually get 7s and 8s across my GCSE subjects with barely any revision/studying at home, which I used as an excuse to procrastinate over the past few months by overestimating myself (obviously a dumb choice).

Now, unsurprisingly I've realised that isn't going to slide for the real deal, and I've forgotten quite a bit since the mock exams, which means I may be at risk of getting grades that are lower than expected for me.

I'm definitely not asking for techniques that will get me 3 grades higher in 2 weeks 😭 however, I was wondering if there would be any ways for me to effectively cover content I may have forgotten or found hard over the months.

I feel like past papers won't help much as they take quite a while to do and mark, and I can only allocate a set number of hours for each subject, as I have 9 GCSEs to revise for over a matter of weeks.

I do have subjects that should take priority, such as english lit, biology and chemistry (I do triple higher), and some that I just need to cover and get taken care of (eg: maths + english language).

What would be the best way to revise and ensure I can get an acceptable grade for all my subjects? I'm not looking for miracle techniques that will get me a 9 in a week, just effective and trusted methods that actually work for the exams.

Hey, I suggest going through the syllabus statements for the sciences as they contain everything u need to know and highlighting the ones ur unsure about so u can revisit them. Maths u can’t rlly revise that much so past papers r rlly the best way around to make sure u have seen all the different types of questions that could come up. I’m not rlly good at English so my advice may not be the best but currently I’m just doing past papers under times conditions to make sure I’m getting it done under time! Hope this helps and good luck 🙂
Reply 2
Original post by Ashirs
Hey, I suggest going through the syllabus statements for the sciences as they contain everything u need to know and highlighting the ones ur unsure about so u can revisit them. Maths u can’t rlly revise that much so past papers r rlly the best way around to make sure u have seen all the different types of questions that could come up. I’m not rlly good at English so my advice may not be the best but currently I’m just doing past papers under times conditions to make sure I’m getting it done under time! Hope this helps and good luck 🙂

Yeah, past papers are obviously the best thing to do for maths specifically, not too sure about the sciences tho, they would obviously help but they're not really time effective.

And by syllabus statements, do you mean the official specification with all the listed topics and what they're about, etc?
Reply 3
Yeah, past papers are obviously the best thing to do for maths specifically, not too sure about the sciences tho, they would obviously help but they're not really time effective.

And by syllabus statements, do you mean the official specification with all the listed topics and what they're about, etc?

Yep, if u go onto the board there should be a list of what you need to know and u can just go through each part and use active recall to check whether u remember it and if not, learning it and then revisiting it regularly will help.

Hey for the sciences if u need to cover content i definitely reccommend using Physics & Maths Tutor, they have lots of rlly condensed notes which match the exam specification and cover all the key points. They also have flashcards on there which follow a similar thing. When I did my mocks i left it all to the last minute and ended up cramming all my science revision in like 3 days before each exam literally just by reading through the notes and flashcards on there, and making my own very brief notes on any concepts i found harder. Got 7s in bio and physics and an 8 in chem (i was getting like 5/6s before). Any topics you struggle with more I reccommend watching a video by Freesciencelessons or Cognito etc on Youtube.

https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/freesciencelessons
https://www.youtube.com/@Cognitoedu

For maths just work on the topics you find harder, if you don't understand a topic then watch a video on how to do it and find some questions to practice for that topic. Perhaps look at the specification for the exam board u use or if u have a maths textbook and read through the contents page on that to see which topics to work on.

https://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/
https://corbettmaths.com/

English:

https://www.youtube.com/@MrSallesTeachesEnglish - does really good videos on quotes for English lit, has videos like 'The only 10/15/20 quotes you need to know for (e.g) An Inspector Calls' which you can apply to any essay. Probably be very helpful if youre trying to find quotes in a short space of time and make sure u cover all the themes etc
https://www.youtube.com/@mrbruff - does really helpful explanation videos on how to answer each question for English language (assuming u do AQA) and some revision videos on the poetry for lit
https://www.youtube.com/c/MrEverythingEnglish
Also recommend finding flashcards on Quizlet for quotes etc as well.
The main things u should revise for English lit are plot, characters, themes, quotes, context and literary devices/methods.
https://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/English-Literature/GCSE/Notes/AQA/An-Inspector-Calls/Exam-Preparation/How%20to%20plan%20and%20write%20a%20top%20mark%20essay.pdf - I also found this booklet on PMT which explains how to write an essay for English lit so u ensure u hit all the assessment objectives etc, also may help u navigate what u need to focus on more when ur revising content as well (e.g u might need to look at the context more for one of the texts u study).

In short the best thing u can do is just try and keep ur revision simple and straight to the point by following exam specifications and assessment objectives, and focus more heavily on ur weaker topics. Ik u said past papers may not be so helpful for u but definitely try and do a few once you've covered more of the content nearer the time, like 1-2 days before ur exam (especially for maths!!). If u were getting 7-8s in everything from not doing much in the past then that obviously shows that ur quite bright anyway and so hopefully should be able to pick up quite quickly. Remember there is still time!! Something is always better than nothing!! Hope this is at least somewhat helpful and best of luck : )
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest