The Student Room Group

Pure Maths A Level Question HELP ASAP

1B6911C9-69D9-48CE-B5C2-3116AAB47046.jpeg
I have done part a) but I don’t understand part b)
Well... Assuming you know what Newton-Raphson is. (If you don't know, do go back to your textbook)

The problem basically wants you to "solve the equation in (a)". So pick an initial value (what could it be? Just pick something, there is almost no wrong choice here), follow the algorithm, and you're done.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by tonyiptony
Well... Assuming you know what Newton-Raphson is. (If you don't know, do go back to your textbook)

The problem basically wants you to "solve the equation in (a)". So pick an initial value (what could it be? Just pick something, there is almost no wrong choice here), follow the algorithm, and you're done.

I don’t know how to write tan2x in my calculator though
Original post by Matheen1

Um... Is there a function on the calculator that auto does Newton-Raphson for you?
I'm wildly unfamiliar with calculator tricks, so do it by hand is fine enough.

Again, do make sure you know what Newton-Raphson is.
Reply 4

Not sure what you mean here - you're just doubling the value of x and then taking the tan of the result! Alternatively, you're starting with the function tan(2x) + 2x, so if you choose a value of x and write u = 2x then all you're doing is manipulating tan u + u.
Reply 5
Original post by tonyiptony

The mark scheme says I should find the derivative of tan2x + 2x but I don’t know why?
The mark scheme says I should find the derivative of tan2x + 2x but I don’t know why?

The Newton-Raphson iterative method requires the derivative to work out subsequent approximations - it gives you the formula at the top of the paper.
Reply 7
Original post by ghostwalker
The Newton-Raphson iterative method requires the derivative to work out subsequent approximations - it gives you the formula at the top of the paper.

Thanks, but the problem is that I don’t know how to solve it on my calculator as I don’t know how to type in sec^2x
Thanks, but the problem is that I don’t know how to solve it on my calculator as I don’t know how to type in sec^2x

You asked why you needed the derivative!

Something like (sec x)^2, but since I doubt I have your calculator, it's a guess.

Post your working so far

Quick Reply

Latest