The Student Room Group

Increase Predicted Grades ASAP Help

Hi,
I just completed my mocks at the end of year 12 and I haven't received the results yet but I know I did quite bad in Chemistry and Maths and am expecting to get B or C or D. I really want to apply to medicine, especially at a Russel Group Uni and I need at least an A*A*A for the unis I want to apply to. I'm really not in a position to take a gap year due to family circumstances. Is there any way I can increase my predicted grades before applications in October?
My Grades in Chemistry are like this so far:
Alkanes and Haloalkanes = B
Rates and Chemical Equilibria = B
Basic Concepts and Alkanes = A
Enthalpy = A
Periodicity = A
Shapes of molecules Test = A
GCSE to Alevel Test = C
Retake GCSE to Alevel = B
Amount of substance = 79% A/B
Formulae and Equations Retake = 100% A*
Formulae and Equations = D
And My maths grades are like this:
64% Straight Line Graphs = B
36/49 Pure =A
36/48 Pure = A
33/37 Statistics = A*
41% Mechanics = C
64% Quadratics = B
I'm just confused as to how predicted grades are calculated as in do they look at what the highest score you've achieved is or do they look at homework as well? Considering those are my grades throughout the year and I might get a B/C/D in the mocks, what predicted might I get?

Thanks 🙂
Original post by harshi._.jk
Hi,
I just completed my mocks at the end of year 12 and I haven't received the results yet but I know I did quite bad in Chemistry and Maths and am expecting to get B or C or D. I really want to apply to medicine, especially at a Russel Group Uni and I need at least an A*A*A for the unis I want to apply to. I'm really not in a position to take a gap year due to family circumstances. Is there any way I can increase my predicted grades before applications in October?
Enthalpy = A
Periodicity = A
GCSE to Alevel Test = C
36/49 Pure =A
36/48 Pure = A
33/37 Statistics = A*
41% Mechanics = C
64% Quadratics = B
I'm just confused as to how predicted grades are calculated as in do they look at what the highest score you've achieved is or do they look at homework as well? Considering those are my grades throughout the year and I might get a B/C/D in the mocks, what predicted might I get?

Thanks 🙂

Hey,
I am not sure how predicted grades are calculated, I think it might be different at each school. At mine they took into account my exam grades and my classwork. Learning and achievement is not linear, so it is not worth dwelling on your mocks, I think the most important thing now is to focus on your work and demonstrate to your teachers that you can improve your grades.
It is definitely possible to get your grades up rapidly, you may have to rethink your revision strategies and get help from your teachers or classmates who achieved higher than you. In my year 12 mocks I got C's in maths and a B in chemistry and then I was a few marks off an A* in my A levels. There were people in my class who improved much more.
Getting into medical school is an amazing achievement and it is not important to go to a Russel Group University - at the end of the day you all come out with the same medical degree. Also lots of the Russel Group universities only require AAA, so make sure you do not only apply for those with the highest entry requirements.
I hope this helps, feel free to ask any questions!
Evie (4th year medic at UoS)
Reply 2
Hi,
Enthalpy = A
Periodicity = A
GCSE to Alevel Test = C
36/49 Pure =A
36/48 Pure = A
33/37 Statistics = A*
41% Mechanics = C
64% Quadratics = B

Thanks 🙂

Hi there!
I'm also in year 12. Our mocks are still going on. I hear a lot of different answers to this and I'm sure you do to. Personally (though there is a possibility your college won't do this, but I think it would be harsh not to, and unlikely - like this person said, achievement and learning are not linear) my college has said that even if we flunk our mocks this time round, our predicted grades CAN be changed up until your university application deadline, which for me is January, and I intend to apply to Russell Groups like Durham and Newcastle. Thinking of doing Oxford or Cambridge as a post-grad. Also bear in mind that you have late September/early October mocks as well as January mocks to demonstrate your improvement. I'm predicted AAD currently (english language, literature and biology) but my grades have gone up to Cs and Bs in the last couple of months (for biology) so I expect the first predicteds will come back slightly higher. Also consider that you will have more topic tests to prove yourself in, and if you get new teachers, you will have the chance to make a new first impression. Make use of this. Ask for extra work/to retake year 12 topic tests in exam conditions. Revise year 12 content and pre-read year 13 content over the summer as well! They'll expect you to know year 12 content fluently come year 13. Good luck!
Reply 3
You do not have to submit your UCAS application for Medicine until October - and for other courses, January 2004.

That gives you time to work your socks off to raise your grades. Go and see your subject teachers now, and ask for their help - what can you do over the summer that will help, how can you show them that you are determined to work harder/better to raise your grades etc, and if you do this, and show that you are working at a higher level, they may reconsider your predicted grades. Go and see them on Monday.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by McGinger
You do not have to submit your UCAS application until the end of January 2024.

That gives you plenty of time to work your socks off to raise your grades. Go and see your subject teachers now, and ask for their help - what can you do over the summer that will help, how can you show them that you are determined to work harder/better to raise your grades etc, and if you do this, and show that you are working at a higher level, they may reconsider your predicted grades. Go and see them on Monday.

OP wants to study medicine, so they'll have to submit their application by the 16th October deadline for early applicants
Reply 5
Hi,
Enthalpy = A
Periodicity = A
GCSE to Alevel Test = C
36/49 Pure =A
36/48 Pure = A
33/37 Statistics = A*
41% Mechanics = C
64% Quadratics = B

Thanks 🙂

Presumably you are aware that RG is totally irrelevant for Medicine?

You need to look at the whole picture of what each uni requires - GCSE grades, A level prediction plus other factors.

We use a mix of factors for predictions - what are your 'working at' grades? Remember teachers are judged on the accuracy of their predictions and it does you no good to have offers you won't meet.

Quick Reply

Latest