The Student Room Group

Aerospace engineering

Hi,
Recently I finished my A levels , I did maths , physics and graphics communication. I will start aerospace engineering in September 2023 at Brunel university London. Can someone give me advice on how to survive and stay on top of the work? I am willing to work hard to get good grades. Any tips for revision for exams and first year of uni? Is doing placement year really worth it ? Lastly what a levels maths and physics topics do I need to go over before starting?
Sorry for too many questions, but I really want to know from someone who is studying aerospace engineering.
Please response ASAP
Original post by taroobk
Hi,
Recently I finished my A levels , I did maths , physics and graphics communication. I will start aerospace engineering in September 2023 at Brunel university London. Can someone give me advice on how to survive and stay on top of the work? I am willing to work hard to get good grades. Any tips for revision for exams and first year of uni? Is doing placement year really worth it ? Lastly what a levels maths and physics topics do I need to go over before starting?
Sorry for too many questions, but I really want to know from someone who is studying aerospace engineering.
Please response ASAP

Staying “on top” of work is always a bit unique but id recommend a calendar (outlook/google/apple or similar), know when your deadlines are and try to understand their value (for example a coursework worth 50% of a 20 credit module will need a LOT more time & planning then one worth 25% of a 10 credit module), this is obvious but making sure you plan in time to complete your work is important.

Revision for exams - practice, practice, practice (past papers & problem sheets/tutorial questions (practice questions your university will have as part of the curriculum)). Also pay attention to the mark schemes/worked solutions, you’ll also find more examples online when you run out / get sick of repeating your university set questions.

Pure A-level maths will be the best prep, but I would also make sure to enjoy yourself over the summer- if you’ve only finished this year you shouldn’t need too much of a refresher before getting going. First year at the start typically has a bit of overlap with the end of school to get everyone progressing from the same standard.

Yes a placement is very valuable - there is a wide range of graduate jobs, spending a year in placement will:
- teach you about what you want from a future job (i.e. manufacturing, design, r&d, supply chain...)
- experience will make you attractive to employers (this helps as you are better off spending one or two extra years to get in a good company with excellent development, good salary, bonuses...), getting a grad job is hard without experience.

Yes you cab survive- if you enjoy the subject & work hard you’ll be fine.
Reply 2
Original post by mnot
Staying “on top” of work is always a bit unique but id recommend a calendar (outlook/google/apple or similar), know when your deadlines are and try to understand their value (for example a coursework worth 50% of a 20 credit module will need a LOT more time & planning then one worth 25% of a 10 credit module), this is obvious but making sure you plan in time to complete your work is important.

Revision for exams - practice, practice, practice (past papers & problem sheets/tutorial questions (practice questions your university will have as part of the curriculum)). Also pay attention to the mark schemes/worked solutions, you’ll also find more examples online when you run out / get sick of repeating your university set questions.

Pure A-level maths will be the best prep, but I would also make sure to enjoy yourself over the summer- if you’ve only finished this year you shouldn’t need too much of a refresher before getting going. First year at the start typically has a bit of overlap with the end of school to get everyone progressing from the same standard.

Yes a placement is very valuable - there is a wide range of graduate jobs, spending a year in placement will:
- teach you about what you want from a future job (i.e. manufacturing, design, r&d, supply chain...)
- experience will make you attractive to employers (this helps as you are better off spending one or two extra years to get in a good company with excellent development, good salary, bonuses...), getting a grad job is hard without experience.

Yes you cab survive- if you enjoy the subject & work hard you’ll be fine.

ok thank you so much. I really appreciate it.
which year are you in for aerospace engineering?
Can you find work experience every summer or not?
Reply 3
Sorry I be asking too much.
Can you get 2.1 if I start hard work from day one and also if I stay on top of my work? I barely have social life and sometimes I am ready to scarify my social life for my education.
What physics topics do I need to go over before going?
Original post by taroobk
ok thank you so much. I really appreciate it.
which year are you in for aerospace engineering?
Can you find work experience every summer or not?

I am a mechanical graduate with several years experience now, although the nature of my work means my team is basically a mix of aero & mechanical graduates.

You can find summer experience but it is hard to find until after second year (not impossible but hard).
Original post by taroobk
Sorry I be asking too much.
Can you get 2.1 if I start hard work from day one and also if I stay on top of my work? I barely have social life and sometimes I am ready to scarify my social life for my education.
What physics topics do I need to go over before going?

Yes moss people get a 2.1, if you work hard there is no reason not to target a first. And I would encourage you to enjoy your social life at university, it is possible to balance both.

Focus on pure maths, you’ll cover basics of fluids (aerodynamics), thermodynamics, kinematics & stress & a few other bits. But if you are solid on the maths this will make your life a lot easier.
Reply 6
Original post by mnot
I am a mechanical graduate with several years experience now, although the nature of my work means my team is basically a mix of aero & mechanical graduates.

You can find summer experience but it is hard to find until after second year (not impossible but hard).

Oh ok!
I heard aero and mech are similar but there are some different topics.
Reply 7
Original post by mnot
Yes moss people get a 2.1, if you work hard there is no reason not to target a first. And I would encourage you to enjoy your social life at university, it is possible to balance both.

Focus on pure maths, you’ll cover basics of fluids (aerodynamics), thermodynamics, kinematics & stress & a few other bits. But if you are solid on the maths this will make your life a lot easier.

Ok thank you so much for the advice and information. I really appreciate it.
Original post by taroobk
Oh ok!
I heard aero and mech are similar but there are some different topics.

Its more a question of scope, ultimately the physics is the same.

Quick Reply

Latest