The Student Room Group

Porisation A level chemistry

Can someone please explain how question A doesn't have dipole because theres 2 delta negative chlorines at top and one at bottom so theres a greater neagtive charge at the top and for question B dont the dipoles cancel as they are at the top and bottom (the chlorine atom) so there isnt a permanent dipole?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
Its not top and bottom, they are all 120 degrees apart so they cancel.

B has 2 Cls on the one side of the molecule and then 2 Hs on the other so the dipole isnt cancelled. Again its not top and bottom, its a tetrahedral arrangement not square planar
Original post by callphd
Its not top and bottom, they are all 120 degrees apart so they cancel.

B has 2 Cls on the one side of the molecule and then 2 Hs on the other so the dipole isnt cancelled. Again its not top and bottom, its a tetrahedral arrangement not square planar

hi, to me they look like they are on the same side I didn't realise that was a completely different side. Can I draw the molecule like this because if I did then aren't they opposite so don't the dipoles cancel
Original post by Rohan007best
hi, to me they look like they are on the same side I didn't realise that was a completely different side. Can I draw the molecule like this because if I did then aren't they opposite so don't the dipoles cancel

You need to think in 3 dimensions as the tetrahedral shape is 3D. The way that you have "drawn" it shows the chlorines at the top and pointing out of the page towards you. The dipole resolves to a line through the C-H bond opposite the two chlorine atoms and runs equidistant between the two chlorine atoms.

Think of a tetrahedron as an equilateral pyramid with the carbon in the centre and the attachments at the four points of the pyramid.
If you attach a chlorine atom to each of two points of the pyramid you should be able to see that the dipoles do not cancel out.

tetrahedral.png

If you are still not convinced then you can do the proof mathematically using three dimensional coordinate geometry!

Quick Reply

Latest