The Student Room Group

Maths Question Square Help

Hello I am stuck on how to fully answer this question (attached pdf / screenshot below).

The questions says the length of the sides of the outermost square are 4. So I used pythagoras theorem to calculate the length of the second largest square, 2^2 + 2^2 = 8, and 8 = 2√ 2, which is the length of the second largest square.

So for the total length of all of the sides so far I have 4(4) + 4(2√2) which is 16 + 8√2

However, I'm now stuck on how to calculate the length of the third largest square and subsequently the smallest one. Any guidance would be appreciated, thanks :smile:

Screenshot 2023-04-25 at 17.49.28.png
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Ðeggs
Hello I am stuck on how to fully answer this question (attached pdf / screenshot below).

The questions says the length of the sides of the outermost square are 4. So I used pythagoras theorem to calculate the length of the second largest square, 2^2 + 2^2 = 8, and 8 = 2√ 2, which is the length of the second largest square.

However, I'm now stuck on how to calculate the length of the third largest square and subsequently the smallest one. Any guidance would be appreciated, thanks :smile:

Same argument again (and again), or get some scissors and think how the areas/lengths are related, or ...
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Ðeggs

So for the total length of all of the sides so far I have 4(4) + 4(2√2) which is 16 + 8√2

Its worth noting that while you can use pythagoras 3 times, you should notice a relationhip(s) for the area/lengths? Id guess the question would expect you to have spotted the relationship(s), so if youre unsure, just post what you did/thought.
Reply 3
Original post by mqb2766
Its worth noting that while you can use pythagoras 3 times, you should notice a relationhip(s) for the area/lengths? Id guess the question would expect you to have spotted the relationship(s), so if youre unsure, just post what you did/thought.

Thanks, I think I figured it out now!
The relationship or scale factor (?) between the length of the first two sides is 4 / 2√ 2 = √2, therefore I divided by √2 to find the length of the second smallest and smallest lengths. So, 2√2 / √2 = 2, and 2 / √2 = √2.
Therefore the total length of all sides if 4(4) + 4( 2√2) + 4 (2) + 4 (√2) = 16 + 8√2 + 8 + 4√2 which simplifies to 24 + 12√2.
Original post by Ðeggs
Thanks, I think I figured it out now!
The relationship or scale factor (?) between the length of the first two sides is 4 / 2√ 2 = √2, therefore I divided by √2 to find the length of the second smallest and smallest lengths. So, 2√2 / √2 = 2, and 2 / √2 = √2.
Therefore the total length of all sides if 4(4) + 4( 2√2) + 4 (2) + 4 (√2) = 16 + 8√2 + 8 + 4√2 which simplifies to 24 + 12√2.

Looks about right. As you say, the length (perimeter) scale factor between each of the adjacent squares is sqrt(2). So simply divide by that each time you go in. The area scale factor is 2 (obviously its the side^2), which is because if you draw the diagonals for the inner square say and fold them out (like an envelope), you get the second smallest square which is obviously double the area. Then do it again, and again so the areas are 16,8,4,2 and the side lengths are those rooted. Its a very famous "greek" construction for doubling the area of a square
https://qph.cf2.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-0e316e1a1e2a600d0b922cddb3a5c6c2
and if you start off with a square of length/area 1, then you construct a square of area 2 but the sides are irrational (sqrt(2)), something that "bothered" the greeks. and supposedly Hippasus was drowned at sea for its discovery
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippasus
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest