The Student Room Group

Advice on how to get an A/A* in OCR A Level Biology?

I got an 8-8 in combined higher aqa gcse science and I've heard that biology A level is one of the hardest so if u have any advice I would be very grateful :smile:
Original post by rose1417
I got an 8-8 in combined higher aqa gcse science and I've heard that biology A level is one of the hardest so if u have any advice I would be very grateful :smile:

Get used to exam prep and expose yourself to more mark schemes of 6 markers/essay questions (speaking for OCR here)
Mark schemes are picky because they really want you to be specific which is annoying
I think the content is alright, just the exam questions can be tricky sometimes as it can be vague
Use your specification and make notes specifically on each point to save time and not make infinite amount of notes because you wont have time for it
Be good in your maths skills like magnification skills, interpreting graphs, learning to recognise what data is shown to you and plot a graph from it, planning practicals (again exam prep because you can get like long markers for planning a practical), and statistics and punnett squares which are like 4-6 marks (i think mostly 4)
And when covering the whole spec, link the topics together to make it sense to you so you become more time efficient when it comes to mocks.
Also linking topics help with making your own long markers, which you can then make the titles like flashcards on Quizlet and just memorise and recite what you would write about it. Honestly when you get to that stage you should have been familiarised a lot with the types of questions you get.

Overall
1) Confidence in content first 2) Exam practice (on long markers, graph questions and practical questions for now since they have the most marks) 3) Know your practicals well but not like off by heart like GCSE, but like the structure /concept of it. You will see the practical questions would be more likely experiments you never ever done in class, but if you find the keywords in it, it must link to a topic at least 4) Maths skills and punnet squares

Work on that and you will be fine. If you are struggling... IMMEDIANTLY go to you teacher soon to help go over to understand the concepts, not memorise
Original post by Medicinenewbie

Get used to exam prep and expose yourself to more mark schemes of 6 markers/essay questions (speaking for OCR here)
Mark schemes are picky because they really want you to be specific which is annoying
I think the content is alright, just the exam questions can be tricky sometimes as it can be vague
Use your specification and make notes specifically on each point to save time and not make infinite amount of notes because you wont have time for it
Be good in your maths skills like magnification skills, interpreting graphs, learning to recognise what data is shown to you and plot a graph from it, planning practicals (again exam prep because you can get like long markers for planning a practical), and statistics and punnett squares which are like 4-6 marks (i think mostly 4)
And when covering the whole spec, link the topics together to make it sense to you so you become more time efficient when it comes to mocks.
Also linking topics help with making your own long markers, which you can then make the titles like flashcards on Quizlet and just memorise and recite what you would write about it. Honestly when you get to that stage you should have been familiarised a lot with the types of questions you get.

Overall
1) Confidence in content first 2) Exam practice (on long markers, graph questions and practical questions for now since they have the most marks) 3) Know your practicals well but not like off by heart like GCSE, but like the structure /concept of it. You will see the practical questions would be more likely experiments you never ever done in class, but if you find the keywords in it, it must link to a topic at least 4) Maths skills and punnet squares

Work on that and you will be fine. If you are struggling... IMMEDIANTLY go to you teacher soon to help go over to understand the concepts, not memorise

Hey, thank you for this! What textbook or website would you recommend or say is the most accurate to use for ocr a bio?

Quick Reply

Latest