The Student Room Group

Help with organic chemistry

I'm coming up to my A-level mocks and I'm really struggling with some parts of the organic chemistry spec - namely the different mechanisms and their reagents. It's not so much that I don't understand how it all works, it's just I seem to really struggle to remember which acids/bases are used for which mechanisms. If anyone has any tips I'd really appreciate it - an in-depth explanation of why exactly certain chemicals are used when they are might help. Thanks!
Original post by AnnaMxcc
I'm coming up to my A-level mocks and I'm really struggling with some parts of the organic chemistry spec - namely the different mechanisms and their reagents. It's not so much that I don't understand how it all works, it's just I seem to really struggle to remember which acids/bases are used for which mechanisms. If anyone has any tips I'd really appreciate it - an in-depth explanation of why exactly certain chemicals are used when they are might help. Thanks!

I’d say your best strategy is to look at things like quizzes on sporcle.com, since active recall is the best way of memorising the conditions, reagents and mechanisms.

Understanding the theory behind why some reagents are used may actually complicate some matters, so I probably wouldn’t worry about doing so for A level.
https://www.sporcle.com/search/quizzes/?s=A+level+chemistry

Quick Reply

Latest