The Student Room Group

HELP! 9s in all GCSEs

I want to get all 9s in my GCSEs this year but im struggling and there's only 6 weeks left.
Im in yr 10 and I'm doing

-English literature (currently at grade 7)
-Further Maths (currently at 9)
-RS (currently at 8/9)
-Spanish (currently at 8)
-History (currently at 8)
-ICT (which i dont care about)

Do you think i can get all 9s by exam time??? I have started a revision schedule recently so i hope to improve, especially in English. Any advice/tips would be really appreciated.
(edited 1 month ago)
hey, year 11 here. last year i was similar to you, i wanted all 9s, and i was willing to put myself under any amount of pressure to get them. now, i still want them, but i've realised that i matter more. i almost burnt myself out trying to get all 9s, so my main advice would be to be kind to yourself.

that being said, my grades at the moment are mostly 8&9s, so i do have some tips that helped me with mine:

past papers. do them as often as you can, and i don't know about your school but you can always ask to see if your teachers will mark them for you - they do at my school

revise consistantly, but not constantly. looking back, i wish i'd made flashcards as i went along, rather than rushing at the end of year 11

rs and literature are going to need quotes, but try to find the most generic, so that you have to memorise less. i can give you a list of ones that i have if you want, but what works best is ones that can apply to everything. i think "love thy neighbour" is a very popular rs quote for christianity, but if it works, it works!

if your teachers give you end of topic tests or year 10/11 mocks, go over what you got wrong, and revise that. ask your teacher where you could improve if you need

prioritise your subjects - basically do more of what you're not as good at

for history, i like to make timelines of key dates, and make big mindmaps or posters

mindmaps are lifesavers for rs too

make sure you take care of yourself, health wise. it can be hard, especially when you're stressed, but even just one or two glasses of water and a couple pieces of fruit a day is better than nothing, and trust me, it'll make you feel better than you think it will

i take 11 GCSEs, and since you've only listed 6, i'm going to assume you're taking only those? sorry if i've read that wrong haha! but less GCSEs makes prioritisation easier, and hopefully it means you'll have more time to revise

overall, you've also got to remember that the majority of the country will get fours and fives, and that an A is a 7. make sure to give yourself a break and make time for yourself too. good luck, be kind to yourself, and if you need anything else, let me know!
Reply 2
Original post by planets-&-stars
hey, year 11 here. last year i was similar to you, i wanted all 9s, and i was willing to put myself under any amount of pressure to get them. now, i still want them, but i've realised that i matter more. i almost burnt myself out trying to get all 9s, so my main advice would be to be kind to yourself.
that being said, my grades at the moment are mostly 8&9s, so i do have some tips that helped me with mine:

past papers. do them as often as you can, and i don't know about your school but you can always ask to see if your teachers will mark them for you - they do at my school

revise consistantly, but not constantly. looking back, i wish i'd made flashcards as i went along, rather than rushing at the end of year 11

rs and literature are going to need quotes, but try to find the most generic, so that you have to memorise less. i can give you a list of ones that i have if you want, but what works best is ones that can apply to everything. i think "love thy neighbour" is a very popular rs quote for christianity, but if it works, it works!

if your teachers give you end of topic tests or year 10/11 mocks, go over what you got wrong, and revise that. ask your teacher where you could improve if you need

for history, i like to make timelines of key dates, and make big mindmaps or posters

make sure you take care of yourself, health wise. it can be hard, especially when you're stressed, but even just one or two glasses of water and a couple pieces of fruit a day is better than nothing, and trust me, it'll make you feel better than you think it will

i take 11 GCSEs, and since you've only listed 6, i'm going to assume you're taking only those? sorry if i've read that wrong haha! but less GCSEs makes prioritisation easier, and hopefully it means you'll have more time to revise
overall, you've also got to remember that the majority of the country will get fours and fives, and that an A is a 7. make sure to give yourself a break and make time for yourself too. good luck, be kind to yourself, and if you need anything else, let me know!

Can u show the eng quotes u user
Reply 3

Thanks soooooo much! This was so helpful! I think timelines for history is a rly good idea - i never thought of that. In terms of the amount of GCSEs, im taking 6 this year (yr 10) and then another like 8 next year (yr 11), i also did maths last year too, cos my skl lets us take them early. But thanks im gonna make a revision timetable and use your advice.
tyyyssssmmmm!!!
Original post by User_09
Thanks soooooo much! This was so helpful! I think timelines for history is a rly good idea - i never thought of that. In terms of the amount of GCSEs, im taking 6 this year (yr 10) and then another like 8 next year (yr 11), i also did maths last year too, cos my skl lets us take them early. But thanks im gonna make a revision timetable and use your advice.
tyyyssssmmmm!!!

no problem, good luck!
Original post by hellode
Can u show the eng quotes u user

it depends on your books - which ones are you studying?

I completely agree with this post. Great advice.

I would add though, as someone who got nine 9s and one 8 at GCSE, it half killed me. GCSEs really don't matter as much in the long term as it is insinuated (I am in my penultimate year of University and I wish I knew this earlier, A-Levels are much more important with regard to getting into uni).

Ultimately, GCSEs are simply a gateway into A-Level, and provided you obtain 'decent' GCSEs ergo 7+ across the board, scoring any higher really doesn't add much value. That's not to say that you shouldn't aim for straight 9s, but it's certainly not worth it at the expense of your mental health.

That said, in terms of advice, I'd say that the key is consistent practice and excellent exam technique. GCSEs are not a test of ability, but rather a test of memorisation and exam technique (cynical, I know - but true). Exam papers usually follow a very similar theme, with similar questions, so having done lots of past papers really helps make your exam more predictable.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 7
Original post by math4892
I completely agree with this post. Great advice.
I would add though, as someone who got nine 9s and one 8 at GCSE, it half killed me. GCSEs really don't matter as much in the long term as it is insinuated (I am in my penultimate year of University and I wish I knew this earlier, A-Levels are much more important with regard to getting into uni).
Ultimately, GCSEs are simply a gateway into A-Level, and provided you obtain 'decent' GCSEs ergo 7+ across the board, scoring any higher really doesn't add much value. That's not to say that you shouldn't aim for straight 9s, but it's certainly not worth it at the expense of your mental health.
That said, in terms of advice, I'd say that the key is consistent practice and excellent exam technique. GCSEs are not a test of ability, but rather a test of memorisation and exam technique (cynical, I know - but true). Exam papers usually follow a very similar theme, with similar questions, so having done lots of past papers really helps make your exam more predictable.

Thxxx so much for the advice!!

Quick Reply

Latest