The Student Room Group

GCSE grades

Hello,
How possible is it to go from a level 7+ to 9 for GCSE's in two years. Has anyone jumped from 6s to 9s or similar? If so how did you do it? From a current Year 9.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Reply 1
hiya,

year 12 here

i’d say it’s definitely possible if u put the work in, try stay consistant for the rest of year 9, and 10, and really go for it in year 11

me personally i went from a range of about 6-8 in year 9 to 8s and 9s in actual gcses so improvement was defo there

in terms of specific tips i’d just ensure u revise all ur subjects not just your favourite few, which is always really tempting

good luck !
Reply 2
Im probably not best person to answer as i kinda floated through gcses ngl, did bare minimum revision. But i went from 5 in english to 3 marks off 9 in real thing, so it is easily possible, especially at gcses. If you put even a bit of thought into revising and having good notes, you will do brilliantly! Lots of flash cards and practicing past paper qs, physics and maths tutor is an amazing website
Original post by cowmelios
Hello,
How possible is it to go from a level 7+ to 9 for GCSE's in two years. Has anyone jumped from 6s to 9s or similar? If so how did you do it? From a current Year 9.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Hi! I'm in Year 11 doing GCSEs this year and I've jumped from 6s to 9s over these years.
From my experience:

Sciences - Making personal notes/rewriting a whole textbook summarised with key points required to learn (not just random info). That way, essential information sticks to your brain as you mind-map each unique idea through font and style on paper. If you want to make things stand out in your notes to remember some key points, try drawing diagrams to add to your notes. That way, you are able to recognise the section of info you've summarised - make it stand out!

Watching videos online helps me fill the gaps in knowledge for different sciences. I recommend Primrose Kitten and FreeScienceLessons on YouTube!

English - Practice papers - Moreover, warm up with writing until you're comfortable with writing at a fast pace. (A fun thing I find which helps expand my vocabulary is by watching Netflix shows!)

Maths - Honestly, I don't think you can really 'revise' maths - so instead, make sure you understand all the concepts and correlations in the curriculum.

Remember, this is my way of studying to get 9s for each subject; Additionally, each person has their own style of revision - so I advise you try different revision strategies and find one which works best for you!
Good luck with the revision!
Reply 4
Original post by xxyyx
hiya,

year 12 here

i’d say it’s definitely possible if u put the work in, try stay consistant for the rest of year 9, and 10, and really go for it in year 11

me personally i went from a range of about 6-8 in year 9 to 8s and 9s in actual gcses so improvement was defo there

in terms of specific tips i’d just ensure u revise all ur subjects not just your favourite few, which is always really tempting

good luck !
Thank you for the advice !
Reply 5
Original post by jelllyfiiish
Hi! I'm in Year 11 doing GCSEs this year and I've jumped from 6s to 9s over these years.
From my experience:

Sciences - Making personal notes/rewriting a whole textbook summarised with key points required to learn (not just random info). That way, essential information sticks to your brain as you mind-map each unique idea through font and style on paper. If you want to make things stand out in your notes to remember some key points, try drawing diagrams to add to your notes. That way, you are able to recognise the section of info you've summarised - make it stand out!

Watching videos online helps me fill the gaps in knowledge for different sciences. I recommend Primrose Kitten and FreeScienceLessons on YouTube!

English - Practice papers - Moreover, warm up with writing until you're comfortable with writing at a fast pace. (A fun thing I find which helps expand my vocabulary is by watching Netflix shows!)

Maths - Honestly, I don't think you can really 'revise' maths - so instead, make sure you understand all the concepts and correlations in the curriculum.

Remember, this is my way of studying to get 9s for each subject; Additionally, each person has their own style of revision - so I advise you try different revision strategies and find one which works best for you!
Good luck with the revision!
Wow, thank you for the detailed information and advice- I have used FreeScienceLessons before but I will have a look at Primrose Kitten. Good luck on your GCSE's!
Reply 6
Original post by HBeetle
Im probably not best person to answer as i kinda floated through gcses ngl, did bare minimum revision. But i went from 5 in english to 3 marks off 9 in real thing, so it is easily possible, especially at gcses. If you put even a bit of thought into revising and having good notes, you will do brilliantly! Lots of flash cards and practicing past paper qs, physics and maths tutor is an amazing website
Thank you for the advice- you had a massive jump in GCSE English and did really well !
Original post by cowmelios
Wow, thank you for the detailed information and advice- I have used FreeScienceLessons before but I will have a look at Primrose Kitten. Good luck on your GCSE's!
Thank you and wish you the best!

Quick Reply

Latest