The Student Room Group

Latin language a level unseen help pls!!!!

Hi does anyone pls have any advice for the Latin unseen Livy and Ovid translations? I am still really struggling and the exam is in two weeks! Any advice or tips would be amazing. Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Mayfield101
Hi does anyone pls have any advice for the Latin unseen Livy and Ovid translations? I am still really struggling and the exam is in two weeks! Any advice or tips would be amazing. Thanks

Hey, I am also a little stressed about this as I am also taking this exam... My main tip would be something I have discovered recently helps a lot - take more time to read through the passage!
In the past I have been very guilty of half-reading the passage and jumping into translating, but I find I do much better when I:

1. Read the explanation of the passage and highlight key words. Make sure you actually understand what the passage is about, ESPECIALLY for the Livy where all the armies and things can get really confusing!

2. Read the English translation of the last line of Latin before your text starts. Not only does this tell you more about where the story starts and what is going on, but I even recommend writing it out on paper a couple of lines before your translation so you can check the lines connect and make sense easily.

3. Get 4 highlighters. I know it sounds excessive but just trust me!

4. Read slowly through the passage and highlight every main verb (Or if you prefer, every verb except past participles because sometimes those are adjectives so it can get confusing.) Now do the same, but pick a different colour and highlight every nominative noun so you know who/what is the subject of every sentence. Now repeat at last with another different colour for the accusatives so you know who/what is the object of each sentence.

5. Read through one last time and highlight in your remaining colour all the vocab you don't know. Try not to panic about this! Sometimes things come to you or make sense in context! At this point it might also be worth circling all past participles and any sentences that seem to be verb-less to remind yourself that they may be missing the "esse".

6. Now you will probably be a decent portion through your exam time but try not to panic! You will be amazed how much more of a feel for the passage you will have at this point if you follow this technique, as you will be forced to read it through carefully 4 times and the translating itself is so much faster after this!

7. GOOD LUCK!

Sorry for the essay, but hope it helps - this has been a game-changer technique for me!
Reply 2
thank you so much for this!!
Original post by beaquin
Hey, I am also a little stressed about this as I am also taking this exam... My main tip would be something I have discovered recently helps a lot - take more time to read through the passage!
In the past I have been very guilty of half-reading the passage and jumping into translating, but I find I do much better when I:

1. Read the explanation of the passage and highlight key words. Make sure you actually understand what the passage is about, ESPECIALLY for the Livy where all the armies and things can get really confusing!

2. Read the English translation of the last line of Latin before your text starts. Not only does this tell you more about where the story starts and what is going on, but I even recommend writing it out on paper a couple of lines before your translation so you can check the lines connect and make sense easily.

4. Read slowly through the passage and highlight every main verb (Or if you prefer, every verb except past participles because sometimes those are adjectives so it can get confusing.) Now do the same, but pick a different colour and highlight every nominative noun so you know who/what is the subject of every sentence. Now repeat at last with another different colour for the accusatives so you know who/what is the object of each sentence.

5. Read through one last time and highlight in your remaining colour all the vocab you don't know. Try not to panic about this! Sometimes things come to you or make sense in context! At this point it might also be worth circling all past participles and any sentences that seem to be verb-less to remind yourself that they may be missing the "esse".

6. Now you will probably be a decent portion through your exam time but try not to panic! You will be amazed how much more of a feel for the passage you will have at this point if you follow this technique, as you will be forced to read it through carefully 4 times and the translating itself is so much faster after this!

7. GOOD LUCK!

Sorry for the essay, but hope it helps - this has been a game-changer technique for me!
Reply 3
Original post by beaquin

7. GOOD LUCK!

This is amazing, thank you sooooooooooooo much. I will definitely try to do this, it makes so much sense. Thank you, you are a lifesaver! :smile: I really really appreciate it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending