The Student Room Group

Maths science and history

How many grades can you usually move in GCSEs in subjects like maths science and history?
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by suzy23
How many grades can you usually move in GCSEs in subjects like maths science and history?

I’m not sure for other people, but I moved from a 5-6 to a 9-8 in combined science (Year 10 mocks - exams), a 5 to a 7 in maths, and uhh my history grade actually went down somehow (9 to an 8)
Original post by waffelton
I’m not sure for other people, but I moved from a 5-6 to a 9-8 in combined science (Year 10 mocks - exams), a 5 to a 7 in maths, and uhh my history grade actually went down somehow (9 to an 8

How were you revising for each subjects. We’re you revising like often or just like 1 or 2 hrs a days. My exams are this year for maths my grade is a 4 and I want a 6 for science it’s a 4-5 and I want a 6-6 or 7-7 and since exams are round the corner I want to improve like FAST. Is this be possible it kinda see unrealistic?
Reply 3
Original post by suzy23
How were you revising for each subjects. We’re you revising like often or just like 1 or 2 hrs a days. My exams are this year for maths my grade is a 4 and I want a 6 for science it’s a 4-5 and I want a 6-6 or 7-7 and since exams are round the corner I want to improve like FAST. Is this be possible it kinda see unrealistic?

For maths and science, the best way to practice is to do questions. Past papers for maths are very helpful as the questions each year are generally the same with different numbers. For science, I did some Seneca work on units I didn’t understand very well, as well as doing some questions in a workbook (I used this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pearson-REVISE-Combined-Science-Higher/dp/1292131683 as well as the revision guide), but compared to some of my classmates, my revision was pretty light (no more than 20 minutes everyday).

The day before the exam (two days if I had two exams on one day), I would do heavy studying (3-5 hours). For this, I would make notes on every unit in the textbook, and watch cognito videos on units I didn’t understand. I would then watch the correlating Science Shorts video for the paper (example: https://youtu.be/3TDuG_oq5bs) and make notes.
Reply 4
Original post by suzy23

also, I’m pretty sure your goals are achievable! good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest