The Student Room Group

A Level Options

I am doing History and English Literature for A-Levels as I enjoy them.

I want to do a science in order to balance things out and leave options open for the future (do say if you disagree with this approach) and so I am going to choose between Chemistry and Physics. I cannot do Maths in school because it clashes with History, so I may study Maths out of school.

To note, I am not sure what sort of career I would like to pursue. It could be a career in one of the Arts or science or maths; I don’t have much of an idea, so this does not help.

What would you suggest?
Physics is really maths heavy so you'd need to commit a lot of time outside of school to learning the maths for physics. It's definitely doable but make sure to stay organised and be sure that you're able to keep on top of it especially with content heavy subjects like History and English Lit.

You could pick up core maths if your college/sixth form offers or get a maths tutor in your own time which a lot of students did in my year, myself included.

Whatever decision you make, choose subjects you know you'll be happy with doing now, even if you're unsure you'll continue it in future. The mental toll of doing subjects you don't enjoy can be a lot so always make sure to choose something you enjoy!

Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Phyrixia
I am doing History and English Literature for A-Levels as I enjoy them.

I want to do a science in order to balance things out and leave options open for the future (do say if you disagree with this approach) and so I am going to choose between Chemistry and Physics. I cannot do Maths in school because it clashes with History, so I may study Maths out of school.

To note, I am not sure what sort of career I would like to pursue. It could be a career in one of the Arts or science or maths; I don’t have much of an idea, so this does not help.

What would you suggest?

Hey, I don’t have much in the way of advice for science subjects but I did History, English Lit and Spanish and am starting uni to do history so I wanted to say good luck ! You definitely have the right idea not picking a third essay subject though because English lit and history are both very essay heavy and need a lot of work. That being said there are no ‘easy’ a levels so my advice would be pick something you enjoy as that makes the work a lot easier to cope with ! 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest