The Student Room Group

What Subjects should I focus on?

I am a Y11 Student who takes: History, French, Computer Science, Food Tech, and Further Maths.

Along with the core subjects, and triple science.
My main focus is on computer science, science, maths etc. I moved to the UK in y10 and am still a bit shaky in some areas, for example, in essay subjects, such as History and English. What should I aim for in these subjects that are irrelevant to me? I am currently at a 5-6 in history and English.
I constantly feel demotivated after performing not as well in these subjects compared to 8s and 9s in computer science, science and maths
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 1
Sounds like you already know where to focus your time well! Most more prestigious unis would like at least a 6 in maths and English, as well as the subjects relevant to your uni course eg language (assuming university is your goal!!). Of course, a high average would still be needed but sounds like you’ve got that covered anyway. Aim for a 6 minimum in English (and ideally history too) even if you’re going for a science-based subject.
Reply 2
Original post by CrazyAaron
I am a Y11 Student who takes: History, French, Computer Science, Food Tech, and Further Maths.

My main focus is on computer science, science, maths etc. I moved to the UK in y10 and am still a bit shaky in some areas, for example, in essay subjects, such as History and English. What should I aim for in these subjects that are irrelevant to me? I am currently at a 5-6 in history and English.
I constantly feel demotivated after performing not as well in these subjects compared to 8s and 9s in computer science, science and maths

I moved to the uk in yr 10 too and have the same issue as u tbh.how did u get 8s and 9s in csc, math and science😭 tips pleaseee
Reply 3
Original post by a_nzz07
I moved to the uk in yr 10 too and have the same issue as u tbh.how did u get 8s and 9s in csc, math and science😭 tips pleaseee

Computer Science (AQA 8525): I do VB.Net

MrBrownCS: (Past Paper Walkthroughs)

CGP: Revision Guide (I have an activation code online I can give because I haven't used it ill dm u)

Past Papers

Maths (AQA Higher):

Maths Genie: Worksheets

Corbett Maths: Worksheets + Videos

Past Papers

Science (AQA Triple):

Savemyexams / StudyMind: Extensive Notes

Cognito: Videos + Past Paper Exam Questions

Physics Maths Tutor: Past Paper Exam Questions

Dr de Bruin's Classroom: Science Playlists (Youtube)

Reply 4
Original post by crazyaaron
computer science (aqa 8525): I do vb.net

mrbrowncs: (past paper walkthroughs)

cgp: Revision guide (i have an activation code online i can give because i haven't used it ill dm u)

past papers

maths (aqa higher):

maths genie: Worksheets

corbett maths: Worksheets + videos

past papers

science (aqa triple):

savemyexams / studymind: Extensive notes

cognito: Videos + past paper exam questions

physics maths tutor: past paper exam questions

dr de bruin's classroom: Science playlists (youtube)

thank you sooooooo much like ydk how grateful i am to u rn😭

If you're looking at things from a university applications perspective, generally they either (most unis) don't really care about GCSEs beyond minimum grades in English language and maths (in which case it doesn't matter so much) or (a small number of unis/courses) they will be looking at your overall GCSE grade profile and not individual subjects. In the latter case then they'd be looking to see you've done similarly well across the board, rather than just in subjects you (or they) consider "relevant". So if you're are doing very well in your other subjects I would recommend spending more time on the subjects you are not as strong in.

While it's always very tempting to spend more time on the subjects you are good at and enjoy, if you're already doing well in them then any gains are going to be somewhat more marginal and you do then need to just force yourself to improve in areas you aren't as keen on. So I would say spend a bit less time perhaps on the other subjects you're already doing well on and a bit more time on those ones. Also speak with your teachers about any specific things you have trouble with in those subjects and see what they advise :smile:
Reply 6

Why are you taking Further Maths? Drop that and focus on all of the others. Use your mocks to target weaker areas and go to all the revision help sessions.

Try to get english up to a grade 6 or that might limit university options.
Reply 7
Original post by Muttley79
Why are you taking Further Maths? Drop that and focus on all of the others. Use your mocks to target weaker areas and go to all the revision help sessions.

Try to get english up to a grade 6 or that might limit university options.

I don't take Further Maths seriously, my teacher proposed it just as a way for an additional GCSE qualification.
Reply 8
Original post by artful_lounger
If you're looking at things from a university applications perspective, generally they either (most unis) don't really care about GCSEs beyond minimum grades in English language and maths (in which case it doesn't matter so much) or (a small number of unis/courses) they will be looking at your overall GCSE grade profile and not individual subjects. In the latter case then they'd be looking to see you've done similarly well across the board, rather than just in subjects you (or they) consider "relevant". So if you're are doing very well in your other subjects I would recommend spending more time on the subjects you are not as strong in.

While it's always very tempting to spend more time on the subjects you are good at and enjoy, if you're already doing well in them then any gains are going to be somewhat more marginal and you do then need to just force yourself to improve in areas you aren't as keen on. So I would say spend a bit less time perhaps on the other subjects you're already doing well on and a bit more time on those ones. Also speak with your teachers about any specific things you have trouble with in those subjects and see what they advise :smile:

My school hasn't covered all triple content, and most of my grades from science are from combined higher tests rather than triple, after my first mock(last week), the whole top set of science had difficulty answering a wide majority of application questions due to the lack of practice in school. I think after my mock results, I'll get a clear view on what I need to focus on the most.
Reply 9
I don't take Further Maths seriously, my teacher proposed it just as a way for an additional GCSE qualification.

It's not a good idea - I teach Maths and it's far more important to get good grades across the board. Drop it please and use the time more wisely. If your teacher tells you FMaths helps with A level - it doesn't.

Quick Reply

Latest