The Student Room Group

'Weird' A Level Combinations

I'm currently doing A Level Computer Science, History and English Literature. I was initially going to do Comp Sci, Sociology and Economics as they somewhat link, but after a change in heart following a talk with one of my teachers, I changed them.

I was partially pressured to do Computer Science by my parents cause they believe it'll give me a good job. At GCSE, I earned a 7 for Comp Sci whereas I achieved a 9 in both English Lit and Lang, as well as the highest mark for History in my school, and thus my teacher advised me to do them.

I was wondering if anyone did or is doing a similar combination to me, or even have been told that their A Levels are a weird 'combination' and perhaps what grades you ended up achieving. I'm also curious to see whether people think I should do a degree in Law or Computer Science at Uni as right now I'm planning to do Law because I don't enjoy Comp Sci at all.
(edited 4 months ago)
Ur going to struggle to find a University which offers Computer Science as a course without Maths A Level at a minimum
Reply 2
You'll need Maths to do CS.
And if you didnt take Maths because you dont like/enjoy Maths, then rethink doing a degree in CS - you'll struggle.

Look at History, Law, Politics and variations of those courses like American Studies, Liberal Arts etc instead?
Original post by shaken-wall
I'm currently doing A Level Computer Science, History and English Literature. I was initially going to do Comp Sci, Sociology and Economics as they somewhat link, but after a change in heart following a talk with one of my teachers, I changed them.

I was partially pressured to do Computer Science by my parents cause they believe it'll give me a good job. At GCSE, I earned a 7 for Comp Sci whereas I achieved a 9 in both English Lit and Lang, as well as the highest mark for History in my school, and thus my teacher advised me to do them.

I was wondering if anyone did or is doing a similar combination to me, or even have been told that their A Levels are a weird 'combination' and perhaps what grades you ended up achieving. I'm also curious to see whether people think I should do a degree in Law or Computer Science at Uni as right now I'm planning to do Law because I don't enjoy Comp Sci at all.

Your subject combination isnt too bd. History and english lit go well together.
For computer science at uni you may need maths (id just double check that fact on unis websites though).
For law though you are fine. For law you dont need any specific subject combinations, but an essay subject (like history and english lit) will help. So you will be fine for law.
Reply 4
Don’t do computer science without maths at A level. You will remove 10 years off your lifespan. Also I’m not sure many universities will accept you without at least Maths at A level, unless its for a foundation year.

Quick Reply

Latest