The Student Room Group

Urgent GCSE help

I've been practicing for the upcoming biology paper 1 (combined science trilogy) exam on Tuesday and all the other sciences in that subject. I understand the content moderately well but when it comes to answering the questions I'll do really poorly. I've looked at why and it's usually because I'll talk about something the question is not really looking for in the mark scheme but what I've said it technically right. I feel that the science mark schemes are quite pedantic whilst the questions being really vague about what they really want you to explain.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I get better i guess at knowing what the questions want? I've been doing many papers and mark schemes and trying to get a feel for what they're wanting me to speak about but i always word it wrong or focus more on the wrong details.

Any advice?
Reply 1
Original post by pigeon21
I've been practicing for the upcoming biology paper 1 (combined science trilogy) exam on Tuesday and all the other sciences in that subject. I understand the content moderately well but when it comes to answering the questions I'll do really poorly. I've looked at why and it's usually because I'll talk about something the question is not really looking for in the mark scheme but what I've said it technically right. I feel that the science mark schemes are quite pedantic whilst the questions being really vague about what they really want you to explain.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I get better i guess at knowing what the questions want? I've been doing many papers and mark schemes and trying to get a feel for what they're wanting me to speak about but i always word it wrong or focus more on the wrong details.

Any advice?

i definitely agree with you im in the same situation myself honestly and tbf with biology it is really just about waffling and hoping you get it right because a lot of questiond they can be about stuff you havent learnt but they require you to apply your general knowledge and knowledge from things you have learn to answer it. so in a way its just abt how well you can do that.

Any advice?

I get you bro i was in the same spot, here's a technique that helped me, so once you do a biology paper, treat it like its an actual exam, mark it look at the mark scheme im sure there's a video breakdown on the paper, once you understand it write down all the answers for the questions you got wrong in your own words, then go to google doc or a paper and make a breakdown on the common mistakes you made, remember regardless of what exam board, usually questions are repeated so try memorise and understand how you made that mistake and what to write next time that question showed up. You said you understand the content moderately well right, keep on practising doing pasts papers until your hand falls off !!!!.
Reply 3
Original post by 21scope
I get you bro i was in the same spot, here's a technique that helped me, so once you do a biology paper, treat it like its an actual exam, mark it look at the mark scheme im sure there's a video breakdown on the paper, once you understand it write down all the answers for the questions you got wrong in your own words, then go to google doc or a paper and make a breakdown on the common mistakes you made, remember regardless of what exam board, usually questions are repeated so try memorise and understand how you made that mistake and what to write next time that question showed up. You said you understand the content moderately well right, keep on practising doing pasts papers until your hand falls off !!!!.

i totally agree with you great advice bro i love like those videos of papers but theirs like none for triple science unfortunately
Reply 4
My daughter is doing biology Alevel, and although we been going through it all module by module, we really really understood it more when watching biorach on you tube. She really explains thing well. Like she said you would not get the marks for transpiration for plans to lose water, you have to say water vapour, because its a gas, not a liquid. She does not do many gcse, but theres a teacher called primrose kitten who we have also found very useful https://www.youtube.com/@Primrose_Kitten/search?query=gcse%20biology
Amoeba sisters I also love. they explain things like mitosis and meiosis very well. Another thing that daughter does in tests is the highlighting /underlining of key words in the question,. it keeps things to the point and not going off on a tangent somewhere.
Oh that’s a shame but are you sure there’s no video for triple science there’s gotta be one out there but regardless if your stuck on a question I’m sure there’s a biology teacher in your school that will be more then willing to help and plus just keep practicing the papers you’ll get the hang of the answer structure cause you know your stuff just gotta work on your answer structure good luck.
Original post by qas1232
i totally agree with you great advice bro i love like those videos of papers but theirs like none for triple science unfortunately
Reply 6
Original post by 21scope

Thank you so much. I didn't know about the video break down part to be honest but that's really useful as I'd usually just guess the topic and try to learn it better until i understand what's going on (or make a guess).

Also, do you think that putting the questions you got wrong as flashcards could be just as effective as on a google docx? Like if you didn't understand food tests for example, one side of the flashcard could be asking about the foodtests and the other side could be a table describing what's used, positive result additional steps, etc... Then you could use some scrap paper and roughly sketch this table each time the flashcard comes and then flip it to see if it's correct. Maybe this could work more effectively than a google docx which you probably won't look at again after you've written it. Just a suggestion but thanks for the response this is going to help tremendously.
Reply 7
Original post by Ghostlady
My daughter is doing biology Alevel, and although we been going through it all module by module, we really really understood it more when watching biorach on you tube. She really explains thing well. Like she said you would not get the marks for transpiration for plans to lose water, you have to say water vapour, because its a gas, not a liquid. She does not do many gcse, but theres a teacher called primrose kitten who we have also found very useful https://www.youtube.com/@Primrose_Kitten/search?query=gcse%20biology
Amoeba sisters I also love. they explain things like mitosis and meiosis very well. Another thing that daughter does in tests is the highlighting /underlining of key words in the question,. it keeps things to the point and not going off on a tangent somewhere.

Thank you for the suggestions I'll try them out!

Any advice?

Exam preparation is difficult, especially understanding the questions. To boost your performance and align your responses with the mark scheme, try these:

Read the question several times and underline or highlight the terms. Understand the question and its main ideas.

Review the mark scheme: This is a good method. Focus on the examiners' criteria for answers. Note the mark scheme's frequent keywords and phrases.

Practice with past papers and mark schemes to become used to the questions and answers. Compare your answers to model answers. Find disparities and explain why your answer may not match the mark scheme.

Command words, such "describe," "explain," "compare," and "evaluate," reveal the question's intent. Understand the prerequisites for each command word.

Write clearly: Science mark schemes generally require focused answers. Practice writing concisely, stressing vital themes and minimizing needless information. Use the mark scheme's terminology and phrases as appropriate.

Ask your teacher for help if you don't understand the questions. They can help you comprehend exam requirements.

After studying practice papers and mark schemes, thoroughly examine your blunders. Determine where you tend to stray and why. You can enhance your approach by acknowledging your misunderstandings.

Exam performance improves through practice, dedication, and attention to detail. You'll get better at answering questions by learning the mark scheme and practicing. Biology exam? Good luck! Reach out if you need help
Reply 9
Original post by qas1232
i definitely agree with you im in the same situation myself honestly and tbf with biology it is really just about waffling and hoping you get it right because a lot of questiond they can be about stuff you havent learnt but they require you to apply your general knowledge and knowledge from things you have learn to answer it. so in a way its just abt how well you can do that.

Yeah. I definitely feel that I don't struggle with understanding why the answer in the mark scheme is right, but more of why my answer is wrong. It's frustrating because they'll ask about the relationship between something and I'll describe the wrong part. For example, there was a question about fermentation and it produces CO2 bubbles as gas and it asked me about the relationship between fermentation and another variable (sorry I can't remember specifically what it is). I said fermentation increases as the other variable does. This was technically true but the mark scheme wanted me to say that the bubbles of gas increases as the variable does. Things like this really do annoy me because it comes from a place of not being able to read the examiners mind not actually not knowing the content like I knew that I just didn't think it was what they wanted me to write.
Reply 10
Original post by lionellegaspi
Exam preparation is difficult, especially understanding the questions. To boost your performance and align your responses with the mark scheme, try these:

Read the question several times and underline or highlight the terms. Understand the question and its main ideas.

Review the mark scheme: This is a good method. Focus on the examiners' criteria for answers. Note the mark scheme's frequent keywords and phrases.

Practice with past papers and mark schemes to become used to the questions and answers. Compare your answers to model answers. Find disparities and explain why your answer may not match the mark scheme.

Command words, such "describe," "explain," "compare," and "evaluate," reveal the question's intent. Understand the prerequisites for each command word.

Write clearly: Science mark schemes generally require focused answers. Practice writing concisely, stressing vital themes and minimizing needless information. Use the mark scheme's terminology and phrases as appropriate.

Ask your teacher for help if you don't understand the questions. They can help you comprehend exam requirements.

After studying practice papers and mark schemes, thoroughly examine your blunders. Determine where you tend to stray and why. You can enhance your approach by acknowledging your misunderstandings.

Exam performance improves through practice, dedication, and attention to detail. You'll get better at answering questions by learning the mark scheme and practicing. Biology exam? Good luck! Reach out if you need help

Thank you. I have definitely noticed I have a tendency to explain myself too much on the larger questions as I'm used to this in other subjects, when they would often just prefer a variety of different points rather than detail about them.
Thank you so much. I didn't know about the video break down part to be honest but that's really useful as I'd usually just guess the topic and try to learn it better until i understand what's going on (or make a guess).

Also, do you think that putting the questions you got wrong as flashcards could be just as effective as on a google docx? Like if you didn't understand food tests for example, one side of the flashcard could be asking about the foodtests and the other side could be a table describing what's used, positive result additional steps, etc... Then you could use some scrap paper and roughly sketch this table each time the flashcard comes and then flip it to see if it's correct. Maybe this could work more effectively than a google docx which you probably won't look at again after you've written it. Just a suggestion but thanks for the response this is going to help tremendously.

The flashcards method is absolutely fine Google doc is just one way after you write down the question what you got wrong and the solution it dosnt have to be a big paragraph on a flashcard and the answers but the most most important thing is understanding how did you get that answer wrong and write down how you made that mistake with the solution so that you don’t make that same mistake again some people ( not referring to you btw ) just do papers but they don’t try record their mistakes and repeat the same mistake again just gsce science usually the questions gets repeated from past papers. Google doc is just one way you can make your own method.

Quick Reply

Latest