The Student Room Group

College application

Hello, I really really hope I’ll get an answer because it’s very urgent. So I am an asylum seeker right now in the uk I have finished high school back in my country, and when you finish high school you go to university based on the grades you got in ur last year in high school. My question here is I do not know anything about the uk system of studying I tried to go to college but they said you need to come back September 2024 because I applied a bit too late. I have always dreamt of studying either pharmacy or dentistry, what should you study in college what should you do gcse’s or a levels what subject or courses do you have to take to study pharmacy and dentistry? Ps: I do not have any gcse’s. So what do you think they’ll do at this case. How many years of college do you have to do if you don’t have any gcse’s and how many years do you have to stay in college for pharmacy or dentistry and after that you go to university I guess what will they ask there what grades are important to them please help me if anyone has any idea about this situation please lmk I appreciate it.
Hi there, just letting you know I moved your thread to the Secondary school forum :smile:

College isn't necessarily a thing you need to do before university, but I suspect you'll have to re-do the last two years of your education here because you came from abroad and given you're an asylum seeker, probably from a country with a much lower education standard than the UK. But this is just what I suspect, I don't know if it's true or not for your particular case. It'd help to know which country you did your education in. Do you have a social worker or somebody assigned to your case that you can ask questions to? This would be a great person to get advice from.

Since you want to study pharmacy or dentistry, you should check out some UK universities and what qualifications they will accept for those courses. They will usually want A levels but they might also accept other qualifications like BTECs (although if planning to go to university, A levels are preferable).

Besides trying to ask these questions to whomever is handling your case, I'd also try to get advice from people and organisations that are experts on this field, like Refugee Education UK: https://www.reuk.org/
Reply 2
Original post by Scotland Yard
Hi there, just letting you know I moved your thread to the Secondary school forum :smile:

College isn't necessarily a thing you need to do before university, but I suspect you'll have to re-do the last two years of your education here because you came from abroad and given you're an asylum seeker, probably from a country with a much lower education standard than the UK. But this is just what I suspect, I don't know if it's true or not for your particular case. It'd help to know which country you did your education in. Do you have a social worker or somebody assigned to your case that you can ask questions to? This would be a great person to get advice from.

Since you want to study pharmacy or dentistry, you should check out some UK universities and what qualifications they will accept for those courses. They will usually want A levels but they might also accept other qualifications like BTECs (although if planning to go to university, A levels are preferable).

Besides trying to ask these questions to whomever is handling your case, I'd also try to get advice from people and organisations that are experts on this field, like Refugee Education UK: https://www.reuk.org/

Thank you so much!!! I’m 18 so I don’t think they’ll tell me to do my last 2 years of education here again. I come from iraq so our education system is pretty different from the uk. But I’ll definitely check the link out!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending