The Student Room Group

memorising content

How to quickly memorise content for biology GCSE?
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
flashcards and blurting
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by TazmeenX
flashcards and blurting

What’s blurting?
Reply 3
Original post by suzy23
What’s blurting?

there may be a youtube video somewhere that explains this better but essentially you grab a sheet of paper/whiteboard and write down everything you know about a specific topic (this could something as broad as genes and inheritance and homeostasis or something more specific like animal and plant cells) this should be from memory so don't use anything like textbooks or the internet. give yourself about 20 minutes to do so depending on how big the topic is and then go back with a different colour and this time, use textbooks and whatever resources you want to add in bits you didn't know or got wrong. then, about half an hour or so later, do it all again. you gotta do it until you have more or less recall everything about the topic from memory. it's quite a lot of writing but for me it worked really well.
Original post by TazmeenX
there may be a youtube video somewhere that explains this better but essentially you grab a sheet of paper/whiteboard and write down everything you know about a specific topic (this could something as broad as genes and inheritance and homeostasis or something more specific like animal and plant cells) this should be from memory so don't use anything like textbooks or the internet. give yourself about 20 minutes to do so depending on how big the topic is and then go back with a different colour and this time, use textbooks and whatever resources you want to add in bits you didn't know or got wrong. then, about half an hour or so later, do it all again. you gotta do it until you have more or less recall everything about the topic from memory. it's quite a lot of writing but for me it worked really well.

What about if you don’t know a topic would you first memorise then content and then put the text book away and write everything you can remember? Does this also implement active recall
Reply 5
Original post by suzy23
What about if you don’t know a topic would you first memorise then content and then put the text book away and write everything you can remember? Does this also implement active recall

yes this would also work. i suppose the way i explained it could be used once you've got a lot of the content already in your head and you just need to find the smaller gaps but in your case, what you have explained would probably work better for you - just make sure you do it a couple of time

Quick Reply

Latest