The Student Room Group

Is my revision/memorisation technique good?

hi guys
i hope you are doing well

I’m currently in yr13, and I do aqa a-level business, edexcel a-level history, and aqa a-level sociology.

I’ve got most of my resources, for each of my subjects, ready.
However, when it comes to actually memorising these resources (notes etc.), I’ve struggled a lot with finding a memorisation technique that works well for me.
but for some time, I’ve been using the following technique:

1) read through some notes/a part of my model essays (i have written some model essays for revision since my subjects require a lot of essay writing).
2) after reading once, i summarise the content into bullet points.
3) then I spend some time trying to memorise the bullet points.
4) after that, i cover the content and write down everything that I remember.
5) finally if there’s anything that I’ve missed out, i add it in.

so this technique is similar to blurting, just with a few extra steps.

do you guys think that this is a good technique for essay based subjects?
please share the techniques that you guys use for memorisation, especially if you think that they may be more effective.
also, for the third step, how do you guys go about actually memorising something?

Thank you so much for your time :smile:)
I generally use flashcards to memorise things, so I don't feel that I am just copying stuff down.
Original post by flowersinmyhair
I generally use flashcards to memorise things, so I don't feel that I am just copying stuff down.

thank you for your response 🙂 , and that's true, i'm trying to move away from just copying things cuz it's no where near as effective as things like active recall
Original post by ronweasley127
hi guys
i hope you are doing well
I’m currently in yr13, and I do aqa a-level business, edexcel a-level history, and aqa a-level sociology.
I’ve got most of my resources, for each of my subjects, ready.
However, when it comes to actually memorising these resources (notes etc.), I’ve struggled a lot with finding a memorisation technique that works well for me.
but for some time, I’ve been using the following technique:
1) read through some notes/a part of my model essays (i have written some model essays for revision since my subjects require a lot of essay writing).
2) after reading once, i summarise the content into bullet points.
3) then I spend some time trying to memorise the bullet points.
4) after that, i cover the content and write down everything that I remember.
5) finally if there’s anything that I’ve missed out, i add it in.
so this technique is similar to blurting, just with a few extra steps.
do you guys think that this is a good technique for essay based subjects?
please share the techniques that you guys use for memorisation, especially if you think that they may be more effective.
also, for the third step, how do you guys go about actually memorising something?
Thank you so much for your time :smile:)

I mean for sociology, I just tend to learn the content and watch a video on the content. And use resources to fill in the gaps for me.

There’s this Hetic teacher for sociology that had a lot of resources that you may find useful. I also found a couple videos for sociology which is Study with ATD, tutor sociology.

I tend to revise over the revision tables I got for sociology and learn them tbh and then do a question based on it and get it checked.

Hope this helps! 🫶🏽

Quick Reply

Latest