The Student Room Group

Can’t decide between Exeter and Edinburgh

I have been to both but I just can’t decide.

Exeter has a nice sense of ‘community’ that I didn’t feel with Edinburgh (though I went in the holidays). Everything is much more ‘centralised’ in Exeter. I felt Exeter was more vibrant (better weather, cafes, beaches, surrounding cities etc). Maybe I didn’t take a good enough look around Edinburgh so don’t know if I’m wrong in saying that it was a little boring. However, I didn’t particularly like the Law faculty in Exeter and everything felt a bit shabby in general.

I am wondering whether Edinburgh more highly regarded than Exeter for Law as I’m interested in Magic Circle / reputable firms. I’d be interested to know whether a Law degree from Edinburgh or Exeter would be more highly regarded across all sectors.

I have also heard that Edinburgh is a six-year course (four years + English conversion + solicitor conversion course) and Exeter would be a five-year course.
Are you Scottish? Edinburgh don’t do a common law degree I believe so you must have applied for a Scot’s law degree? This will require a ‘6’ year course as you say - 4 year undergraduate, the conversion and then SQE.

Exeter is just 3 year undergrad and SQE.

I don’t really see there being a decision to make here. You firm Exeter. This is regardless of whether you are Scottish and get free tuition fee. University ‘debt’ isn’t a problem anyway. If you don’t want to take a strangers word for that, take Martin Lewis’ https://youtu.be/M3On2PG1CZA

They are both also great unis, so it’s not like Edinburgh is so much better than Exeter that you would be missing out on not going to Edinburgh.

Is Exeter the only English uni you’ve an offer from? Again, assuming you are Scottish, Exeter is very far from Scotland. I still wouldn’t let that put me off going there at all though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending