The Student Room Group

How to start preparing for gcse in year 10

Tips and suggestions. I dislike making notes. I struggle with revision strategy. How to keep up the pace from year 10. My end of year 9 grades were bad.
Reply 1
I'm in year 11. One of my biggest regrets is not doing active recall throughout the year.

I would come up with a system. For example, for each topic, read the revision guide or savemyexams/ physicsandmathstutor notes. Then, make flashcards either physically or online on something like quizlet. Go over your flashcards everyday. The ones that you know the least should be done more frequently. Then, when it's time for exams, you'll know the content already so you'll be able to skip straight to exam questions. Make sure you do a bunch of past papers and questions to prepare for exams. Also, make sure you mark them and write down the questions you got wrong. When its GCSE time you'll be able to test yourself on the hardest questions and see if you still get them wrong. Obviously, keep doing past papers throughout.

Please please do this as if you don't, you'll be trying to cram all the information in the weeks and even the night before your GCSEs which is when you should be doing past papers. I wish that I'd had a consistent system for revision as it would've made my life so much easier now and would probably have increased my grades.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Tips and suggestions. I dislike making notes. I struggle with revision strategy. How to keep up the pace from year 10. My end of year 9 grades were bad.

I can relate to this, my computig teacher did not teach me one thing so I was left all alone in year 11, what I did was I bought a computing revision note passport with all the info and learnt that- i learned everything from it and it was so helpful- I got an A* (grade 9) in that subject- does anyone want the link to it?
Reply 3
Original post by CatalinaIK
I'm in year 11. One of my biggest regrets is not doing active recall throughout the year.

I would come up with a system. For example, for each topic, read the revision guide or savemyexams/ physicsandmathstutor notes. Then, make flashcards either physically or online on something like quizlet. Go over your flashcards everyday. The ones that you know the least should be done more frequently. Then, when it's time for exams, you'll know the content already so you'll be able to skip straight to exam questions. Make sure you do a bunch of past papers and questions to prepare for exams. Also, make sure you mark them and write down the questions you got wrong. When its GCSE time you'll be able to test yourself on the hardest questions and see if you still get them wrong. Obviously, keep doing past papers throughout.

Please please do this as if you don't, you'll be trying to cram all the information in the weeks and even the night before your GCSEs which is when you should be doing past papers. I wish that I'd had a consistent system for revision as it would've made my life so much easier now and would probably have increased my grades.

Thank you so much. I will start doing this from now. I might msg you again if I have any query.
Reply 4
Original post by Atonomy
I can relate to this, my computig teacher did not teach me one thing so I was left all alone in year 11, what I did was I bought a computing revision note passport with all the info and learnt that- i learned everything from it and it was so helpful- I got an A* (grade 9) in that subject- does anyone want the link to it?

Thank you so much. I feel same for other subjects. I haven’t opted for computer science but you have links for any other subjects which has helped you then I would be interested in that. I have taken Dt, art and French.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you so much. I will start doing this from now. I might msg you again if I have any query.

Can you send me an example of any topic in science subject. How my revision notes should be? Any example you have made it for yourself in past. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending