The Student Room Group

Career in Law with Average A Levels

Hello everyone!
My name is Georgi, and I study law at Lancaster University. I was wondering and at the same time, researching through TSR whether it is possible to have a career in big law or in a magic circle firm with an average A Levels. In my situation, we talk about BBB.
I graduated high school in Bulgaria, and I am having a hard time understanding the equivalent results of my bulgarian diploma that translate to the English A Levels. Some unis say it's BBC, others BBB.
Anyway, given that you graduate with a First Class or a strong Upper Second Class in law, is there a chance you'll be offered a Training Contract?
As for the mitigating circumstances, my grades dropped significantly during Covid, so will that be an excuse?
Reply 1
Hi Georgi, I’m sure that if TC providers can see that you’re on track for a First - for example if you were scoring high across all your modules before you had even finished your degree - and you did some vac schemes / extra curricular bits, there would be no problem in securing a TC at a good firm!
Reply 2
Original post by Pupil109
Hi Georgi, I’m sure that if TC providers can see that you’re on track for a First - for example if you were scoring high across all your modules before you had even finished your degree - and you did some vac schemes / extra curricular bits, there would be no problem in securing a TC at a good firm!

Thank you!
Appreciate it!
Original post by GeorgiGG
Hello everyone!
My name is Georgi, and I study law at Lancaster University. I was wondering and at the same time, researching through TSR whether it is possible to have a career in big law or in a magic circle firm with an average A Levels. In my situation, we talk about BBB.
I graduated high school in Bulgaria, and I am having a hard time understanding the equivalent results of my bulgarian diploma that translate to the English A Levels. Some unis say it's BBC, others BBB.
Anyway, given that you graduate with a First Class or a strong Upper Second Class in law, is there a chance you'll be offered a Training Contract?
As for the mitigating circumstances, my grades dropped significantly during Covid, so will that be an excuse?

Hi there @GeorgiGG

A levels only form part of the application for Training Contracts. Securing a First or Upper Second Class will boost your application. Another thing that you can look into is gaining legal experience either in person or online. I think these would help your application too.

Hope this helps. :smile:
Chloe
- University of Kent Student Rep
Hello everyone!

Hi @GeorgiGG!

A levels are of course important when applying for TCs and many firms will request to know your grades. However, they are more concerned with your latest stage of study so if you manage to get a good degree grade, they certainly won't discount you. Also, academia is only one skill that is looked at when choosing candidates and a lot of weight goes on legal experience as well as the individual as a person. Remember, that the firm will have to work with you so it is important to them that you are an individual who fits the team!

Continue to work hard and apply yourself and there is no reason why you wouldn't be accepted for a TC.

Good luck!

Sophie :smile:
Hello everyone!

Hi Georgi,

We hope you are enjoying studying Law at Lancaster :smile:

It is definitely possible to have a successful law career and secure a Training Contract especially with a First Class or Upper Second Class degree. Although A-levels are important, in most cases, firms will prioritise the grade for your law degree.

If you have any mitigating circumstances you feel have impacted you whilst your time studying at Lancaster, you can fill out an exceptional circumstances form so that it can be considered when grading assignments and exams. It would be best to speak to your academic advisor about this who can guide you through the process.

Hope this helps and good luck for your applications!

Smriti (Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending