The Student Room Group

3rd Year Dissertation Ideas (ODP)

Hi. I'm in my third year of uni so dissertation time! I'm having trouble finding a topic to do a literature review on. I would like to get some ideas from you guys specifically to theatres/surgery since I mostly practice in that area.
Thanks in advance x
Original post by Anonymous
Hi. I'm in my third year of uni so dissertation time! I'm having trouble finding a topic to do a literature review on. I would like to get some ideas from you guys specifically to theatres/surgery since I mostly practice in that area.
Thanks in advance x

Hi,

Hello! It's great to hear that you're diving into your dissertation. Combining theatre and surgery into your topic is a unique and interesting approach. Here are a few potential ideas for your literature review:

The Impact of Simulation Training in Surgical Education: Investigate how theatre simulation and acting techniques are employed in surgical training programs. Explore the effectiveness of simulation training in enhancing surgical skills and decision-making among medical professionals.

Medical Drama in Theatre and Its Influence on Public Perception: Examine how medical procedures and surgeries are portrayed in theatrical productions. Analyze the accuracy of these portrayals and their effects on public understanding and perception of surgical practices and healthcare professionals.

Psychological Impact of Surgery on Patients and Surgeons: Explore the psychological challenges faced by patients undergoing surgery and surgeons performing complex procedures. Investigate how theatre techniques, such as role-playing or improvisation, can be used to improve communication, empathy, and understanding between patients and medical professionals.

Theatrical Techniques in Surgical Communication Skills: Study the application of theatre and acting methods in improving communication skills among surgeons. Analyze how techniques like body language, voice modulation, and active listening, often used in theatre, can enhance the doctor-patient relationship and the overall surgical experience.

Narrative Medicine and Surgical Stories: Explore the concept of narrative medicine in the context of surgery. Investigate how surgeons and patients use storytelling to cope with surgical experiences. Analyze theatrical storytelling techniques and their potential impact on the healing process and doctor-patient relationships.

Ethics and Morality in Surgical Theatre: Examine ethical dilemmas faced by surgeons in the operating room. Explore how theatre, with its emphasis on moral and ethical narratives, can be used to understand, discuss, and resolve complex ethical issues in surgery.

Surgical Innovations: Balancing Creativity and Safety: Investigate the intersection of creativity and safety in surgical innovations. Explore how theatrical creativity and innovative thinking are applied in the development and implementation of new surgical techniques, instruments, and procedures while ensuring patient safety.

Remember to choose a topic that genuinely interests you, as your passion will drive your research and writing. Best of luck with your dissertation! If you need more specific information on any of these topics, feel free to ask.

Best of luck!
Fatima
Student Ambassador- London South Bank University
Reply 2
Original post by LSBU Student Rep
Hi,

Hello! It's great to hear that you're diving into your dissertation. Combining theatre and surgery into your topic is a unique and interesting approach. Here are a few potential ideas for your literature review:

The Impact of Simulation Training in Surgical Education: Investigate how theatre simulation and acting techniques are employed in surgical training programs. Explore the effectiveness of simulation training in enhancing surgical skills and decision-making among medical professionals.

Medical Drama in Theatre and Its Influence on Public Perception: Examine how medical procedures and surgeries are portrayed in theatrical productions. Analyze the accuracy of these portrayals and their effects on public understanding and perception of surgical practices and healthcare professionals.

Psychological Impact of Surgery on Patients and Surgeons: Explore the psychological challenges faced by patients undergoing surgery and surgeons performing complex procedures. Investigate how theatre techniques, such as role-playing or improvisation, can be used to improve communication, empathy, and understanding between patients and medical professionals.

Theatrical Techniques in Surgical Communication Skills: Study the application of theatre and acting methods in improving communication skills among surgeons. Analyze how techniques like body language, voice modulation, and active listening, often used in theatre, can enhance the doctor-patient relationship and the overall surgical experience.

Narrative Medicine and Surgical Stories: Explore the concept of narrative medicine in the context of surgery. Investigate how surgeons and patients use storytelling to cope with surgical experiences. Analyze theatrical storytelling techniques and their potential impact on the healing process and doctor-patient relationships.

Ethics and Morality in Surgical Theatre: Examine ethical dilemmas faced by surgeons in the operating room. Explore how theatre, with its emphasis on moral and ethical narratives, can be used to understand, discuss, and resolve complex ethical issues in surgery.

Surgical Innovations: Balancing Creativity and Safety: Investigate the intersection of creativity and safety in surgical innovations. Explore how theatrical creativity and innovative thinking are applied in the development and implementation of new surgical techniques, instruments, and procedures while ensuring patient safety.

Remember to choose a topic that genuinely interests you, as your passion will drive your research and writing. Best of luck with your dissertation! If you need more specific information on any of these topics, feel free to ask.

Best of luck!
Fatima
Student Ambassador- London South Bank University

Hi. Thanks for your suggestions. Would like to contact you for further tips on how to write a dissertation based on simulation training?
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi. Thanks for your suggestions. Would like to contact you for further tips on how to write a dissertation based on simulation training?

What do you want to focus your work on when looking at simulation? What’s the question you want to ask about it? It’s a broad area with a large amount of literature (of varying quality) on. Think about possible PICO questions.

Other things you could consider could be use of the WHO surgical safety checklist, human factors in the operating theatre, surgical site infection - there’s going to be lots of literature for you to look at and analyse for all of these.
Reply 4
I want to look on the benefits of simulation training on patient safety. Would there be a lot of literature based in the UK or should I change it?
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous #1
I want to look on the benefits of simulation training on patient safety. Would there be a lot of literature based in the UK or should I change it?

Do you want to look at its involvement on a single professional group, or the entire interprofessional team in theatre? What metrics of patient safety are you thinking of indicating an improvement? Do you want to focus on the entire theatre journey, one section of the journey (ie: anaesthetics/scrub/recovery phases) or the management of individual incidents?

I would think interprofessional sim is much more relevant to real life as we work in teams and not in silos, I know a lot of operating departments in the UK now use sim on their training/audit days so someone is bound to have written about it.

Have a search of what’s out there using google/google scholar to see what’s been written about already, it’ll help with inspiration and ideas for your formal literature search.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending