The Student Room Group

Catching up

I’m currently in year 10, studying the core subjects along with AQA Geography/Spanish & BTEC Drama/Music.
I have a couple of months left until it’s summer, and it’s half term after this week.
Due to health issues, I haven’t been in school for nearly 7 months now, since November of last year. These same health issues meant that I missed around 5 months of year 9, and 3/5 months of year 8, since zoom had ended and we could go back into class.
As you all can imagine, this has me stressed out to the max. I’m not unintelligent by any means, I’m actually smart, my predicted GCSE grades when I was able to go into school were 7/8/9’s.
However, those aren’t really proof of anything now due to the amount I’ve missed.
I was thinking, due to my circumstances, I could be allowed to redo year 10. I know it seems like a last resort, but this is a last resort situation. Due to the time I’ve missed, I don’t have any friends in my year, or school really. I don’t care about graduating with them, nor do they I’d imagine. This is something my education officer has said could be a potential avenue.
People seem to think I’ll be alright catching up because of the fact I’m smart, however my smartness only goes so far. In English for example, without revision at all and missing my lessons I’d still go in and manage to get a 6. With revision of course it’d be a better grade.
That was 7 months ago, I’ve never been out of school for this long, especially at such a pivotal point in my education. Before it wasn’t as high stakes whereas now I’ve missed out on 7 months of GCSE content.
Due to my health issues the school don’t want to burn me out so if I went in I’d be in my head of years office, for a few hours a day, not even if full lessons all day.
If anyone has any ideas on what things I can do in the mean time to be catching up as I’m still not back in, that’d be appreciated as it’s not like I enjoy being off 24/7, I’m stressed all the time in my head because I know how detrimental this is to my future and education.
Thanks all
Reply 1
Well it seems like its recurring pattern for u to be missing school but id recommend u sitting these exams and are u sitting half of the whole gcse contents exams correct so you should try your best and once u get your results back try and see if you really need to resit ur exams as since your averaging fairly high grades you will easily be able to get into college and unless you plan to go to Russel Group uni u should be fine. Much of yr 7 8 9 content dont really correlate w what u do in gcses anyways
Reply 2
Original post by c.george
I’m currently in year 10, studying the core subjects along with AQA Geography/Spanish & BTEC Drama/Music.
I have a couple of months left until it’s summer, and it’s half term after this week.
Due to health issues, I haven’t been in school for nearly 7 months now, since November of last year. These same health issues meant that I missed around 5 months of year 9, and 3/5 months of year 8, since zoom had ended and we could go back into class.
As you all can imagine, this has me stressed out to the max. I’m not unintelligent by any means, I’m actually smart, my predicted GCSE grades when I was able to go into school were 7/8/9’s.
However, those aren’t really proof of anything now due to the amount I’ve missed.
I was thinking, due to my circumstances, I could be allowed to redo year 10. I know it seems like a last resort, but this is a last resort situation. Due to the time I’ve missed, I don’t have any friends in my year, or school really. I don’t care about graduating with them, nor do they I’d imagine. This is something my education officer has said could be a potential avenue.
People seem to think I’ll be alright catching up because of the fact I’m smart, however my smartness only goes so far. In English for example, without revision at all and missing my lessons I’d still go in and manage to get a 6. With revision of course it’d be a better grade.
That was 7 months ago, I’ve never been out of school for this long, especially at such a pivotal point in my education. Before it wasn’t as high stakes whereas now I’ve missed out on 7 months of GCSE content.
Due to my health issues the school don’t want to burn me out so if I went in I’d be in my head of years office, for a few hours a day, not even if full lessons all day.
If anyone has any ideas on what things I can do in the mean time to be catching up as I’m still not back in, that’d be appreciated as it’s not like I enjoy being off 24/7, I’m stressed all the time in my head because I know how detrimental this is to my future and education.
Thanks all

I would focus on getting better - starting Year 10 again sounds sensible to me.

Quick Reply

Latest