The Student Room Group

Maths

I got a 6 at GCSE maths and I still decided to take A level maths. I understand this may not be a smart decision but if anyone has any tips on how to catch up with everyone else at A level and hopefully I’ll provide updates on my journey to catch up with everyone else at A level maths or be a lesson to others who got a 6 and haven’t decided yet
Original post by grgergergwrg
I got a 6 at GCSE maths and I still decided to take A level maths. I understand this may not be a smart decision but if anyone has any tips on how to catch up with everyone else at A level and hopefully I’ll provide updates on my journey to catch up with everyone else at A level maths or be a lesson to others who got a 6 and haven’t decided yet

In terms of catching up since you have just started Y12, I would say don’t put so much pressure on yourself. In A level maths they will start of with GCSE topics and build up from there. Even for topics such as integration, differentiation, and coordinate geometry, they will first touch on the basics of it and then go beyond GCSE in the content. I did good in GCSE maths but initially struggled with A level maths (went from a C to 5 marks away from A* in the final exam). What I eventually found useful was doing topic focused questions on PMT for targeted practice, make the bare minimum of notes (consisted of the following: tips to answering certain question types, solved problems and a step by step explanation on how the answer is achieved (use the mark schemes for this) etc), and really all you can do to strengthen your basics is to practice and correct yourself. For initial practice I suggest PMT . Nearing the exam I started doing full on papers (even the IAL ones) and when I get stuck I turned to YT paper walkthroughs. Hope this helps!
Reply 2
Original post by Tulipbloom
In terms of catching up since you have just started Y12, I would say don’t put so much pressure on yourself. In A level maths they will start of with GCSE topics and build up from there. Even for topics such as integration, differentiation, and coordinate geometry, they will first touch on the basics of it and then go beyond GCSE in the content. I did good in GCSE maths but initially struggled with A level maths (went from a C to 5 marks away from A* in the final exam). What I eventually found useful was doing topic focused questions on PMT for targeted practice, make the bare minimum of notes (consisted of the following: tips to answering certain question types, solved problems and a step by step explanation on how the answer is achieved (use the mark schemes for this) etc), and really all you can do to strengthen your basics is to practice and correct yourself. For initial practice I suggest PMT . Nearing the exam I started doing full on papers (even the IAL ones) and when I get stuck I turned to YT paper walkthroughs. Hope this helps!

Thank you I will take your advice on board and continue updating this post

Quick Reply

Latest