The Student Room Group

revision at vet school

Hey, I'm currently a first-year vet looking for some advice :smile:
I came to vet school in September, and although really enjoying it, I am struggling with revision techniques.

I don't have the brain that a lot of my peers seem to have where they can look at a piece of anatomy once and learn it, yet I don't have the time to go over everything multiple times due to the amount of content.

I know you cannot learn everything, however, I do need to be competent and pass my exams. I put the hours in, and I passed my exams but only just, and I know my revision technique could do with some improvements, there just isn't much advice and support with this once you get into Vet School.

I currently make flashcards and go over the lectures annotating the slides to help me understand. But I don't end up using the flashcards I make so they end up being a waste

Any tips of how others revise at vet school would be very appreciated
(I also have dyslexia so any advice with handling that would be great too) :smile:
Hey! I also had that issue in first year, I made flashcards but then never used them because who wants to look at 50 flashcards per lecture aha. This year I instead made summary tables per topic (not per lecture, I summarise all of them together in as little tables as possible which also helps to make links etc) which I find so much easier to go through and remember and it means there is not little details everywhere. It is a bit harder for anatomy, e.g. for our head fortnight I did just mostly have diagrams because wasn’t sure how to put it into tables, bur for example for muscles which you need an origin insertion action innervation for etc it works well, as does for example things like repro where you can put in a structure/attachment and then say what it does/describe it. With the tables I can either test myself by filling in blank tables and correcting them or I just make very quick notes from them rather than lectures. I sometimes do use other things, e.g. concept I’m not sure on a quick YouTube video is good (there are also channels which do dissections), I like drawing anatomy (even if it’s rough on a whiteboard/my tablet) or looking at some books like dissection of the dog, VIN the website has some good anatomy tools. I still feel I could tweak my ways of doing things but I feel I understand things so much better this year than in first year by changing from flashcards. And during term my “work” rather than revision, I make hand notes on paper on every lecture and I try to do this before the lecture happens so if I do go in I can follow it better, some lectures I’ll just listen and some I get the LOs and type as they are said etc, although personally I’ve worked out I don’t learn great from listening so I only come into lectures if I feel I will focus and it’ll benefit me.

But don’t doubt yourself! I think first year is hard as there is SO much brand new content thrown at you to just remember, and as you said I get the feeling that everyone first says “just get into vet school” and once you’re there you’re like ah, I do also now need to pass it 😂 I didn’t actually enjoy first year at all because of that but have enjoyed second much more where things have become quite more linked etc. Just do your best, you do retain more than you think, don’t compare yourself to your peers, remember 50% is all you need - our lecturers say any % over 50 is wasted going out/relaxing time!
Thank you so much! exactly, now I'm in vet school it feels harder to actually stay in it!
i think i made the flash cards because thats what everyone said to do rather than actually intending to use them. Learning all the anatomy seems to be the biggest issue as motivation to sit and learn all the small indents and ridges of the bones is lacking slightly! but its got to be done I guess!
first year has been so interesting but very difficult, but hopefully second year will be easier to adapt too
Original post by RambleAmple
Hey! I also had that issue in first year, I made flashcards but then never used them because who wants to look at 50 flashcards per lecture aha. This year I instead made summary tables per topic (not per lecture, I summarise all of them together in as little tables as possible which also helps to make links etc) which I find so much easier to go through and remember and it means there is not little details everywhere. It is a bit harder for anatomy, e.g. for our head fortnight I did just mostly have diagrams because wasn’t sure how to put it into tables, bur for example for muscles which you need an origin insertion action innervation for etc it works well, as does for example things like repro where you can put in a structure/attachment and then say what it does/describe it. With the tables I can either test myself by filling in blank tables and correcting them or I just make very quick notes from them rather than lectures. I sometimes do use other things, e.g. concept I’m not sure on a quick YouTube video is good (there are also channels which do dissections), I like drawing anatomy (even if it’s rough on a whiteboard/my tablet) or looking at some books like dissection of the dog, VIN the website has some good anatomy tools. I still feel I could tweak my ways of doing things but I feel I understand things so much better this year than in first year by changing from flashcards. And during term my “work” rather than revision, I make hand notes on paper on every lecture and I try to do this before the lecture happens so if I do go in I can follow it better, some lectures I’ll just listen and some I get the LOs and type as they are said etc, although personally I’ve worked out I don’t learn great from listening so I only come into lectures if I feel I will focus and it’ll benefit me.

But don’t doubt yourself! I think first year is hard as there is SO much brand new content thrown at you to just remember, and as you said I get the feeling that everyone first says “just get into vet school” and once you’re there you’re like ah, I do also now need to pass it 😂 I didn’t actually enjoy first year at all because of that but have enjoyed second much more where things have become quite more linked etc. Just do your best, you do retain more than you think, don’t compare yourself to your peers, remember 50% is all you need - our lecturers say any % over 50 is wasted going out/relaxing time!
For anatomy specifically I find it useful to get a whiteboard (or if you have a tablet you could use that). Draw the piece of anatomy you're trying to learn. Every few hours come back to it and try and label it. Check your answers and rub out your labels. Then repeat in a few hours until you've memorised everything.

Also, try to prioritise the information you're learning. It sounds like you're near exams, so focus on the most important parts of anatomy first before working down to the 'nice to knows'.

With your flashcard issue, honestly I do the same. Make sure you're making quality flashcards, so that even if you never view them again, at least you understand what you're writing down. I find that just the act of writing questions to myself causes me to ensure I understand the topic properly.
I also didn't use my flashcards much this year, but flicking through them the day before the exam reminded me of topics I had forgotten about, even if I didn't have enough time to memorise everything before the exam, at least they jogged my memory with some facts that I might otherwise not have remembered.

Good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending