The Student Room Group

Are the 2023 cohort even as smart as the 2019?

Assuming papers sat in 2023 and 2019 are equal in difficulty.

How can 2023 grade boundaries be similar to 2019 where the cohort 2019 was naturally more intelligent since they had no interruption in their education as well actually having the chance to sit there GCSE?
Reply 1
Original post by Bovley

How can 2023 grade boundaries be similar to 2019 where the cohort 2019 was naturally more intelligent since they had no interruption in their education as well actually having the chance to sit there GCSE?

https://www.gov.uk/government/speech...nd-autumn-2022

"As in any year, grade boundaries for every specification will be set by the senior examiners after they have reviewed the work produced by students in the assessments. But those senior examiners will be guided in their decisions about where to set grade boundaries by information about the grades achieved in pre-pandemic years by cohorts of students, along with prior attainment data. That means the 2023 cohort will be protected in grading terms if their exam performance is a little lower than before the pandemic.

Broadly speaking, therefore, a typical student who would have achieved an A grade in their A level geography before the pandemic will be just as likely to get an A next summer, even if their performance in the assessments is a little weaker in 2023 than it would have been before the pandemic."
Reply 2
Original post by Muttley79

"As in any year, grade boundaries for every specification will be set by the senior examiners after they have reviewed the work produced by students in the assessments. But those senior examiners will be guided in their decisions about where to set grade boundaries by information about the grades achieved in pre-pandemic years by cohorts of students, along with prior attainment data. That means the 2023 cohort will be protected in grading terms if their exam performance is a little lower than before the pandemic.

Broadly speaking, therefore, a typical student who would have achieved an A grade in their A level geography before the pandemic will be just as likely to get an A next summer, even if their performance in the assessments is a little weaker in 2023 than it would have been before the pandemic."

But what do we consider 'little' lower?

3 marks? 5 marks?
Reply 3
Original post by Bovley
But what do we consider 'little' lower?

3 marks? 5 marks?

It not up to 'us' - the exam boards will decide and it's pointless to compare grade boundaries - that's not what they do. Read what I posted again and the full document. It's about grade descriptors and the distribution of marks.
Reply 4
It not up to 'us' - the exam boards will decide and it's pointless to compare grade boundaries - that's not what they do. Read what I posted again and the full document. It's about grade descriptors and the distribution of marks.

This is your link:

It doesn't work.
Reply 6

a whole lot of fluff that doesnt mean anything concrete
hell we dont even know if the grade boundary will be easier/worse than 2019
Reply 7
Original post by waeawewae

We know that the grades will be slightly more generous - but the papers aren't marked yet - only then can the boundaries be set.
Reply 8
Original post by waeawewae

That's what I'm saying lol
Reply 9
We know that the grades will be slightly more generous - but the papers aren't marked yet - only then can the boundaries be set.

The government is assuming that an A student in 2019 would likely be an A student now. From the Article my point is how does that make sense? 2023 are massively more disadvantaged?
Reply 10
Original post by Bovley

Thats what I thought as well and I thought I was on a decent level for an A but apparently ppl have found the papers so far really easy and (through unofficial markschemes) are seemingly getting marks in the high 80s and 90s so grade boundaries could be the same or a bit higher.
Reply 11
Original post by ATPleu
Thats what I thought as well and I thought I was on a decent level for an A but apparently ppl have found the papers so far really easy and (through unofficial markschemes) are seemingly getting marks in the high 80s and 90s so grade boundaries could be the same or a bit higher.

I'm just going to ignore that. 100 people saying the paper was easy doesn't account for the thousands. Speaking generally in my personal opinion the paper I've sat so far was like an average level of difficulty in comparison to other papers if anything the 2022 paper was the easiest paper I've sat.
Reply 12
Original post by Bovley
The government is assuming that an A student in 2019 would likely be an A student now. From the Article my point is how does that make sense? 2023 are massively more disadvantaged?

No they aren't - the 2019 cohort were the first to sit the new spec ...

Students have had a full two years of teaching with past papers to practise.
Reply 13
No they aren't - the 2019 cohort were the first to sit the new spec ...

Students have had a full two years of teaching with past papers to practise.

Don't you mean 2017? That's when the first exams were sat for this specification...
Reply 14
Original post by DoomSain
Don't you mean 2017? That's when the first exams were sat for this specification...

Not in Maths

Quick Reply

Latest