The Student Room Group

grade boundaries

heyy so theres this rumor thats been going around about gcse grade boundaries being lower for june 2023
is this true???
(edited 11 months ago)
Anyone correct me if I’m wrong if they know more of the process but this is from what I remember

Grade boundaries are determined, from what I believe, a normal distribution process, meaning there’s roughly a set % of the population that can achieve certain grades. Don’t listen to rumours of people saying the boundaries are going to be lower. You’ll start to ease and up become complacent, which is what you don’t want (even if you tell yourself that, the brain is a mysterious thing and can do something that you don’t want to happen subconsciously).

Grades are determined by the performance of the cohort doing their tests. The better everyone does in the test, the higher the grade boundaries are typically. The worse everyone does on the test, the lower the boundaries. No one knows what the grade boundaries will be until the exams are over, not even the exam bodies themselves know what it will be (maybe roughly by looking at trends of data before).

Typically they are sort of similar to last years boundaries, minus/plus a 5-10 marks. I did watch an AQA video on grade boundaries back when I was doing GCSEs, and they follow a pattern where there’s a general rise in the boundaries (as teachers typically get better at teaching the content over time)

Hope this helps! Don’t listen to anyone about boundaries, focus on your own goals. There are some nasty people that try to fool others for their own benefit, don’t be a victim to this!
Reply 2
Original post by UrFellowMedic
Anyone correct me if I’m wrong if they know more of the process but this is from what I remember

Grade boundaries are determined, from what I believe, a normal distribution process, meaning there’s roughly a set % of the populat
ion that can achieve certain grades. Don’t listen to rumours of people saying the boundaries are going to be lower. You’ll start to ease and up become complacent, which is what you don’t want (even if you tell yourself that, the brain is a mysterious thing and can do something that you don’t want to happen subconsciously).

No, that's wrong.
Reply 3
Original post by anonymous2682
heyy so theres this rumor thats been going around about gcse grade boundaries being lower for june 2023
is this true???

Grade boundaries aren't set until all papers are marked so nobody knows at the moment.

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/grading-exams-and-assessments-in-summer-2023-and-autumn-2022
Original post by Muttley79
No, that's wrong.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2019/sep/02/the-new-gcses-are-harder-but-the-grades-remain-the-same#:~:text=GCSE%20grades%20are%2C%20and%20have,take%20some%20statistical%20tinkering%20at

multiple websites been telling me that GCSEs are marked on a curve, but if you know more I’d also like to know just so I can tell others the right info
Reply 5

Grade boundaries are determined, from what I believe, a normal distribution process, meaning there’s roughly a set % of the population that can achieve certain grades. Don’t listen to rumours of people saying the boundaries are going to be lower. You’ll start to ease and up become complacent, which is what you don’t want (even if you tell yourself that, the brain is a mysterious thing and can do something that you don’t want to happen subconsciously).

Grades are determined by the performance of the cohort doing their tests. The better everyone does in the test, the higher the grade boundaries are typically. The worse everyone does on the test, the lower the boundaries. No one knows what the grade boundaries will be until the exams are over, not even the exam bodies themselves know what it will be (maybe roughly by looking at trends of data before).

Typically they are sort of similar to last years boundaries, minus/plus a 5-10 marks. I did watch an AQA video on grade boundaries back when I was doing GCSEs, and they follow a pattern where there’s a general rise in the boundaries (as teachers typically get better at teaching the content over time)

Hope this helps! Don’t listen to anyone about boundaries, focus on your own goals. There are some nasty people that try to fool others for their own benefit, don’t be a victim to this!

not much of a rumour but i dont really know because my secondary head teacher informed us of this but obviously im doing my own revision im not relying on that information, but yes i know about the process of grade boundaries thats why i was confused
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 6
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2019/sep/02/the-new-gcses-are-harder-but-the-grades-remain-the-same#:~:text=GCSE%20grades%20are%2C%20and%20have,take%20some%20statistical%20tinkering%20at

multiple websites been telling me that GCSEs are marked on a curve, but if you know more I’d also like to know just so I can tell others the right info

Yes but that's only part of the process - there is comparison to other boards and to grade descriptors.

Quick Reply

Latest