The Student Room Group

GCSE Maths Assessment

Hi guys!

So I will be doing a maths GCSE Assessment in June and I need to prepare for it as I haven’t been in education for over 2 decades.
Where is the best place to do them online where I can get a result at the end? I have CGP books but I want to do it online so I can see where I messed up.

Thanks 💕
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by chocaholikk
Hi guys!

So I will be doing a maths GCSE Assessment in June and I need to prepare for it as I haven’t been in education for over 2 decades.
Where is the best place to do them online where I can get a result at the end? I have CGP books but I want to do it online so I can see where I messed up.

Thanks 💕

if you mean you're doing n actual maths gcse then find out which board and do their past papers from their website. you will have to mark them yourself but that's very valuable as you need to understand the mark scheme and how it's applied to do well in the exam :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by yesjess73
if you mean you're doing n actual maths gcse then find out which board and do their past papers from their website. you will have to mark them yourself but that's very valuable as you need to understand the mark scheme and how it's applied to do well in the exam :smile:

I’m enrolling to resit my gcse maths in September. But I can’t remember how to do formulas and equations as it’s been over 20 years thst I last even opened a maths book. I’d like to do some online papers that gives you a mark at the end just so I can jog my memory and know what my weaker points are. So something like hegarty maths but it’s only for schools
Hi guys!

Thanks 💕

I did really badly at maths for a looong time until Year 11 where I discovered MathsGenie, and it was so helpful!

MathsGenie
(FYI: everything on MathsGenie is free, and is sufficient enough you can teach yourself without an extra teacher.)

Go to their Maths Course

Click each stage, then scroll and pick an assessment.

They officially recommend you don't move on if you got less than 75%. I didn't have time to mark them all, so I just stopped at the stage where I knew I definitely didn't do well - for me I think this was around stage 9, but if you haven't been in education for a while it might be different!

Once you find the stage you're stuck on, do the videos for things you're unsure of, and try the Question Booklets (second button, not the first one). Do mark these, and don't move on until you comfortably get it. If you're trying to plan out time, they take about half an hour each on average (but sometimes take a bit longer or less depending on how hard/your memory)

Once you feel confident with the staged work, if you still have time, you can go to the topics organised by grade. You could skip to this earlier if the stages system doesn't feel helpful, just work at the grade you like and don't miss anything from earlier grades!

Whenever you're ready, try some exam papers. They don't have to be timed, and you could use a walkthrough video if it helps! Just check they are the right exam board.

Other Resources
GCSE Maths Tutor on YouTube is good for quick explanations of how to do things. Go for the MathsGenie ones attatched to a page first, but if they don't help he's a great alternative

Good luck!
I hope you do really well and that these resources are helpful. You can do it!!
Reply 4
I’m enrolling to resit my gcse maths in September. But I can’t remember how to do formulas and equations as it’s been over 20 years thst I last even opened a maths book. I’d like to do some online papers that gives you a mark at the end just so I can jog my memory and know what my weaker points are. So something like hegarty maths but it’s only for schools

i don't know of any websites that will mark them for you but as I said it is very valuable to mark them yourself as then you can see what the answer/method should have been. All the past papers are freely available to view as pdfs on the boards' websites so find out which board you're sitting (OCR, AQA, Edexcel etc) and find them on google
Reply 5
Hi guys!

Thanks 💕

There are these: https://mmerevise.co.uk/gcse-maths-revision/gcse-maths-online-tests/

Dr Frost: https://www.drfrostmaths.com/courses.php?coid=13

Any good?

Bitesize also has mini tests.
on maths and dr frost maths

dr frost maths is better imo because you can see the working out, and they sometimes have linked videos to the topic. you can practise any topic, or a whole past paper. it's also free!

on maths is ok - I don't use it too often as you pay to see worked solutions, but I like their 'grade' feature. It's where they have a bar at the top with grades ranging from U-9, and as you complete the paper, it shows what grade you're at.
Reply 7
Original post by yesjess73
i don't know of any websites that will mark them for you but as I said it is very valuable to mark them yourself as then you can see what the answer/method should have been. All the past papers are freely available to view as pdfs on the boards' websites so find out which board you're sitting (OCR, AQA, Edexcel etc) and find them on google

Thank You! I found a website to help. It’s called Numerise which is basically Hegarty Maths but Numerise is for Home Eds or people who are not in school.

I will also look into past papers etc but for now I know I wouldn’t even know any answers at all so past papers will be no good to me until I do at least a bit of warming up again.

I also found some YouTube videos that you can work along with and then you get the check your answers at the end which I think is another good starting point for me.

thanks for your help 💕
Reply 8
Original post by squidrangle
I did really badly at maths for a looong time until Year 11 where I discovered MathsGenie, and it was so helpful!

MathsGenie
(FYI: everything on MathsGenie is free, and is sufficient enough you can teach yourself without an extra teacher.)

Go to their Maths Course

Click each stage, then scroll and pick an assessment.

They officially recommend you don't move on if you got less than 75%. I didn't have time to mark them all, so I just stopped at the stage where I knew I definitely didn't do well - for me I think this was around stage 9, but if you haven't been in education for a while it might be different!

Once you find the stage you're stuck on, do the videos for things you're unsure of, and try the Question Booklets (second button, not the first one). Do mark these, and don't move on until you comfortably get it. If you're trying to plan out time, they take about half an hour each on average (but sometimes take a bit longer or less depending on how hard/your memory)

Once you feel confident with the staged work, if you still have time, you can go to the topics organised by grade. You could skip to this earlier if the stages system doesn't feel helpful, just work at the grade you like and don't miss anything from earlier grades!

Whenever you're ready, try some exam papers. They don't have to be timed, and you could use a walkthrough video if it helps! Just check they are the right exam board.

Other Resources
GCSE Maths Tutor on YouTube is good for quick explanations of how to do things. Go for the MathsGenie ones attatched to a page first, but if they don't help he's a great alternative

Good luck!
I hope you do really well and that these resources are helpful. You can do it!!

Oh wow Thank You so much!! This is amazing!
Reply 9

Brilliant!! Thank you so much!
Reply 10
Original post by pen_to_paper
on maths and dr frost maths

dr frost maths is better imo because you can see the working out, and they sometimes have linked videos to the topic. you can practise any topic, or a whole past paper. it's also free!

on maths is ok - I don't use it too often as you pay to see worked solutions, but I like their 'grade' feature. It's where they have a bar at the top with grades ranging from U-9, and as you complete the paper, it shows what grade you're at.

Thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest