The Student Room Group

I changed my mind about university and took an apprenticeship instead

The Student Room member nawal1540 was a long way down the university application route when she abandoned her plan of studying medicine and instead opted for a law degree apprenticeship.

Having studied biology, chemistry and history A-levels, nawal1540 had applied to four medical schools, with a pharmacy school as a back-up.

She'd even sat her medical admissions tests. But as her application progressed, she realised medicine was not for her. Neither was pharmacy. In fact, the whole idea of going to university no longer seemed like the best plan.

However, nawal1540 still wanted to earn a degree. As she explored her options, she discovered that it's possible to earn a law degree by taking an apprenticeship.

About this discussion
nawal1540 has been a member of The Student Room since 2020 and was part of our Student Advisory Board in 2022. As apprenticeships continue to grow in popularity and accessibility, we thought it would be interesting to find out more about her experience.

She'll be joining us at 4pm today (Weds 16 August) to chat with us about her apprenticeship experience so far. Please feel free to add your own questions below if there’s anything you’d like to ask. :smile:
(edited 8 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi @nawal1540 - thanks for joining in with our Q&A today. The route you took towards your law degree apprenticeship is really interesting.

How far had you got with your university application when you realised it wasn’t actually what you wanted to do?
Reply 2
Well, by the time I realised that medicine and university wasn’t something that I wanted to do, I had already sat two medical admissions exams and submitted my UCAS application. I began questioning my decision a few months after submitting my application, but I initially thought that it was just normal nerves.
Reply 3
Original post by nawal1540
Well, by the time I realised that medicine and university wasn’t something that I wanted to do, I had already sat two medical admissions exams and submitted my UCAS application. I began questioning my decision a few months after submitting my application, but I initially thought that it was just normal nerves.

Hi im just curios as to whether you got any offers or interviews for medicine?

What was the catalyst for changing your mind? Was there something specific that made you realise you didn’t want to go to university?
Reply 5
Original post by zkan
Hi im just curios as to whether you got any offers or interviews for medicine?

Hi, I did have some interviews for medicine and eventually found out that I got an offer for one medical school. At this point, I had already started applying for apprenticeships, and I wasn't invested in medicine anymore- I was focused on apprenticeships.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by shooks
What was the catalyst for changing your mind? Was there something specific that made you realise you didn’t want to go to university?

It wasn’t until February after my application, that I really began to re-evaluate my options. At this point, universities had started to open up and I was able to visit some of the universities I had applied for whereas prior to my application, my interactions with universities were all limited to online due to covid. I think actually being able to go on to campus really gave me a sense of the university life and having the opportunity to participate in taster sessions, gave me a strong idea of what my life could look like. I think these sessions were a big factor in me realising that medicine and pharmacy were probably not the right courses for me. I also think as the year got on, I realised that I didn’t want to be learning in a classroom as I had been for so many years, but I did want to continue on to higher education in some way as getting a degree was very important to me.
It wasn’t until February after my application, that I really began to re-evaluate my options. At this point, universities had started to open up and I was able to visit some of the universities I had applied for whereas prior to my application, my interactions with universities were all limited to online due to covid. I think actually being able to go on to campus really gave me a sense of the university life and having the opportunity to participate in taster sessions, gave me a strong idea of what my life could look like. I think these sessions were a big factor in me realising that medicine and pharmacy were probably not the right courses for me. I also think as the year got on, I realised that I didn’t want to be learning in a classroom as I had been for so many years, but I did want to continue on to higher education in some way as getting a degree was very important to me.

It's great that you were able to get to the universities to really get that on-campus feel for them.

When you made your decision, how much did you know about other options in higher education? Did you consider any routes other than apprenticeships?
Reply 8
I think once I accepted that University wasn’t right for me, I began to research. I am a planner, so I started looking into other ways of continuing my education. I didn’t know much about other options in higher education, but I remember reading years ago about apprenticeships when I was in secondary schools. Education is really important to me because I am a strong believer in education transforming lives, so I knew that I wanted to continue to progress academically, I just didn’t want to do it the traditional way.
Reply 9
If you came to the realisation that medicine wasn't the suitable career path for you, could you please share what led you to initially apply? Were there certain societal or parental factors that influenced your decision? Your insights would be valuable in understanding your journey.
I think once I accepted that University wasn’t right for me, I began to research. I am a planner, so I started looking into other ways of continuing my education. I didn’t know much about other options in higher education, but I remember reading years ago about apprenticeships when I was in secondary schools. Education is really important to me because I am a strong believer in education transforming lives, so I knew that I wanted to continue to progress academically, I just didn’t want to do it the traditional way.

When you were doing your research, what was it that stood out and appealed to you about taking a degree apprenticeship? And how did you find out about the law degree apprenticeship option in particular?
Reply 11
Original post by zkan
If you came to the realisation that medicine wasn't the suitable career path for you, could you please share what led you to initially apply? Were there certain societal or parental factors that influenced your decision? Your insights would be valuable in understanding your journey.

A range of things led me to apply for medicine- I absolutely love biology and learning and at the time, I had lots of personal circumstances that inspired me to apply for medicine and become a doctor. There were certain things I wanted to learn about in greater detail, and I thought I would enjoy medicine because I had done a lot of different virtual work experience. Being able to visit universities in person really opened my eyes to the reality and that is when it really hit me.
Reply 12
Original post by shooks
When you were doing your research, what was it that stood out and appealed to you about taking a degree apprenticeship? And how did you find out about the law degree apprenticeship option in particular?

I think that degree apprenticeships were the best compromise for me as they offered the best of both worlds- I am able to continue my academic learning and work towards a degree, whilst spending the majority of my time learning through first-hand experience and from the people around me. Being able to learn through experience and applying the theory I learn in a professional environment as well as earning a degree really appealed to me.
I think that degree apprenticeships were the best compromise for me as they offered the best of both worlds- I am able to continue my academic learning and work towards a degree, whilst spending the majority of my time learning through first-hand experience and from the people around me. Being able to learn through experience and applying the theory I learn in a professional environment as well as earning a degree really appealed to me.

The apprentice route can make a difference financially as well!

Were there any financial considerations that affected your decision to go for an apprenticeship rather than uni?
Reply 14
Original post by shooks
The apprentice route can make a difference financially as well!

Were there any financial considerations that affected your decision to go for an apprenticeship rather than uni?

Definitely, university debt was something I worried about. One of the best things about a degree apprenticeship was that I would be able to qualify debt free, and be paid a salary through my apprenticeship, eliminating debt from the equation which of course made degree apprenticeships even more appealing to me. My salary increases through my apprenticeship to reflect my increasing responsibility, and this means that I am able to become more financially secure which of course is another benefit.
(edited 8 months ago)
Definitely, university debt was something I worried about. One of the best things about a degree apprenticeship was that I would be able to qualify debt free, and be paid a salary through my apprenticeship, eliminating debt from the equation which of course made degree apprenticeships even more appealing to me. My salary increases through my apprenticeship to reflect my increasing responsibility, and this means that I am able to become more financially secure which of course is another benefit.

How about that switch in subjects? What made you switch your focus from medicine to law, in particular?
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 16
Original post by shooks
How about that switch in subjects? What made you switch your focus from medicine to law, in particular?

When I started to question everything, I began to look at my options again, I went back to the drawing board completely. I looked at my skills and my hobbies, and also my past work experience to really understand my strengths and weaknesses. For example, the vast majority of my work experience and internships were focused around politics or communication and social change and these were all things that I am passionate about and enjoy. I spoke to my support network and the people around me and whilst I enjoyed learning about law as a hobby, I hadn’t seriously considered it as a career. I reached out to lots of different people, lawyers, law apprentices and law students to speak to them about their experiences before I decided to take a chance.
Reply 17
When I started to question everything, I began to look at my options again, I went back to the drawing board completely. I looked at my skills and my hobbies, and also my past work experience to really understand my strengths and weaknesses. For example, the vast majority of my work experience and internships were focused around politics or communication and social change and these were all things that I am passionate about and enjoy. I spoke to my support network and the people around me and whilst I enjoyed learning about law as a hobby, I hadn’t seriously considered it as a career. I reached out to lots of different people, lawyers, law apprentices and law students to speak to them about their experiences before I decided to take a chance.

Do you feel that doing a level history widened your options? were there any specific a level requirements for the law apprenticeship?

How about once you actually started your apprenticeship application - how did you get on with the process of applying for a degree apprenticeship?
Reply 19
Original post by zkan
Do you feel that doing a level history widened your options? were there any specific a level requirements for the law apprenticeship?

Absolutely! I chose History and Biology for A-Level as I had a genuine passion for them, and then Chemistry as my third in order to be eligible for medical applications. However, that being said, a common misconception is that you need to study certain A-levels for Law or legal apprenticeships and this absolutely not true! You could study Chemistry, Biology and Maths and still, decide to do law or a legal apprenticeship. Every A-level helps you develop different skills, so whilst essay and writing skills are very useful, there are ways to develop these skills outside of A-levels.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending