The Student Room Group

Where to Start Applying For Apprenticeships [Plus Advice Request]?

I'm currently doing a BTEC level 3 IT Extended Diploma, it's reaching January and I haven't made any applications to any companies. Is there a masterlist of companies/resources that offer apprenticeship as my college is mostly geared towards ucas applications.

I attended an assessment centre once and was rejected due to not having a level 3 qualification.I'm afraid if I go for this as my main option I might get rejected and have nothing to do after college.Any Advice
(edited 4 months ago)
Hi @hamroebe

I am not too sure about a master list of companies but there are some websites where you can search for apprenticeships in the UK. I will link them down below, you may have come across them before or not!

Universities offer degree apprenticeships too, so it may be worth researching what sort of options you may be eligible for in that area.

I would also advise looking to get some work experience under your belt this could be through volunteering or other means but it is a great way to demonstrate to employers what kind of skills you have.

I wish you all the best and good luck!

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.
Original post by hamroebe
I'm currently doing a BTEC level 3 IT Extended Diploma, it's reaching January and I haven't made any applications to any companies. Is there a masterlist of companies/resources that offer apprenticeship as my college is mostly geared towards ucas applications.

I attended an assessment centre once and was rejected due to not having a level 3 qualification.I'm afraid if I go for this as my main option I might get rejected and have nothing to do after college.Any Advice

Hi there,

Hope you're well. I would say don't be scared of applying - if you apply and don't get through or you decide you don't want the job, there's no commitment at all - you can just turn it down. I would say apply to a lot now/beginning of January and just see what happens. Apprenticeships are considered an extremely valuable career option and I can definitely recommend them.

Let me just speed run some advice for you which will give you value for applying.

1) Online application

Find vacancies at:
https://www.ratemyapprenticeship.co.uk/
https://www.gov.uk/apply-apprenticeship

You will need a CV and cover letter, and need to make sure you complete application questions. Focus on the skills you have learnt from your BTEC and extra curricular activities - ask yourself the question, what skills/values/traits could you bring to benefit the organisation? Make sure you research the company heavily, focusing on their values, goals and current projects/services/products/activities.

Work experience is key here and looks very good on your CV (virtual work experience is ok too) so I would definitely make sure you have some.

If you're struggling on how to start writing a CV or cover letter, how to do proper research for apprenticeships or how to get work experience, I can send over a few links - just let me know if you're interested and I'll send them through.

2) Subsequent stages

Once you get through the online application, the next step may be a virtual interview and/or online testing.

After this is an assessment centre which can involve an interview, a presentation, a case study and a group exercise.

Worry about these later - just focus on the online application and applying for a good number of companies now.

Hope all these tips help and are valuable to you. Let me know if you want any of those resources I talked about earlier.

Just out of interest, which apprenticeship role are you thinking of applying to? Will it be DTS (Digital and Technology Solutions) because of your IT Diploma?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending