The Student Room Group

internships please is really important!!!!!!

i have been looking for an internship in computer science or anything tech related.
note
- i'm a first year student
- less experience in coding (due i have never done computer science in my a level or gcses)
so i'm not guite confident in coding yet but i really think if i got an internship will help me be confident.
Original post by shybutterfly
i have been looking for an internship in computer science or anything tech related.
note
- less experience in coding (due i have never done computer science in my a level or gcses)
so i'm not guite confident in coding yet but i really think if i got an internship will help me be confident.

Is the sum total of your IT experience the two or three months you've been studying at uni? If so, you need to be realistic about how valuable you are as an intern.

You say "if i got an internship will help me be confident." That's how the internship will (hopefully) benefit you. How will it benefit the employer? What do you bring to the table?

Other than this post, how else have you been looking for internships? Have you had any feedback yet?
note

Usually placements are in your third year of 4.
note

Hello, I am a Final year Computer Science student at Lancaster University and I also didn't study GCSE or A-Level Computer Science. At this stage, I would suggest you first try to do some side projects outside of university coursework, as it might help you with getting a summer internship if you can present to the employers some coding experiences outside of the course to show them your interest and passion for coding. It could be anything that is related to coding, and it may help you to develop more coding skills and learn more about other aspects of computing. There are employers that look for first-year students with a three-year degree for summer or spring internships, so you can try to build up your confidence in coding while searching for an internship. Good luck!!

- Miyuki (Student Ambassador)
Original post by DataVenia
Is the sum total of your IT experience the two or three months you've been studying at uni? If so, you need to be realistic about how valuable you are as an intern.

You say "if i got an internship will help me be confident." That's how the internship will (hopefully) benefit you. How will it benefit the employer? What do you bring to the table?

Other than this post, how else have you been looking for internships? Have you had any feedback yet?

I'm looking to do more like for finances because my dream is to work in investment bank after graduation so I must at least have more in details how does this field really work
Original post by Muttley79
Usually placements are in your third year of 4.

I know but I want an internship not a placement
I know but I want an internship not a placement

Where have you looked? Loads of websites like rate my placement ... your uni will also have ideas.
note

STEP internship at Google is open for 1st / 2nd year students. Facebook and Microsoft or Amazon should have these types of internships too. Just look it up on the company's careers website.
Your original post said:

Now you say:
I'm looking to do more like for finances because my dream is to work in investment bank after graduation...

So, just to confirm, you're looking for an internship within the finance industry, and not something relating to computing. Is that right?

What financial experience do you have, if any? Also, you've said that you're "a first year student", but haven't explicit said what you'd studying. Are you studying Computer Science, Finance, or something else?
Original post by DataVenia
Your original post said:

Now you say:

So, just to confirm, you're looking for an internship within the finance industry, and not something relating to computing. Is that right?

What financial experience do you have, if any? Also, you've said that you're "a first year student", but haven't explicit said what you'd studying. Are you studying Computer Science, Finance, or something else?

i'm studying computer science year 1 and i only did financial studies in my last year as an AS that's it.
I'm looking to do more like for finances because my dream is to work in investment bank after graduation so I must at least have more in details how does this field really work

Honestly the easiest way is through nepotism. Do you have any friends or family who work in the companies that you want to work for?
note

Ask your supervisors, even if its voluntary and unpaid, thats how my eldest started in first year (different course though)
or gradcracker for first years https://www.gradcracker.com/search/computing-technology/computer-science-work-placements-internships?duration=Summer%20-%20open%20to%201st%20years

Hi @shybutterfly

I would really recommend contacting your university's careers team; they may be able to point you to some companies that regularly offer internships that match what you're looking for and websites to look on aswell.

From my experience applying for (bioscience) placements and internships, the careers team should be able to help you with a CV and cover letter, and see if you have any skills already that could be rephrased to be more relevant. They may also be able to recommend things for you to do over the next few months to strengthen your application.

I hope I could help,
Rebecca (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending