The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Does my degree meet Bar Standard Board?

Hi, I am an offer holder for Law with Humanities BA at the University of Warwick. I see the process for qualifiying as a solicitor has changed, so degrees are no longer classified as 'Qualifiying' however I aspire to be barrister, and from what I can see, this still applies for the bar route. I want to confirm if my degree meets the BSB's standards as a 'Law Degree' (not requiring a GDL or further qualifications) but can't seem to find an answer? I see the 7 foundations they have laid out, but my issue is I can't seem to find the Public Law module within the page for my course (can't find it on the LLB's page either, further adding to confusion haha)I was told at my open day that it qualifies, but to confirm before securing my offer. If anyone knows of this, or could confirm with me so I can proceed with securing my offer, I would be very grateful!https://warwick.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/lawwithhumanities/
Reply 1
Original post by joshryder19
Hi, I am an offer holder for Law with Humanities BA at the University of Warwick. I see the process for qualifiying as a solicitor has changed, so degrees are no longer classified as 'Qualifiying' however I aspire to be barrister, and from what I can see, this still applies for the bar route. I want to confirm if my degree meets the BSB's standards as a 'Law Degree' (not requiring a GDL or further qualifications) but can't seem to find an answer? I see the 7 foundations they have laid out, but my issue is I can't seem to find the Public Law module within the page for my course (can't find it on the LLB's page either, further adding to confusion haha)I was told at my open day that it qualifies, but to confirm before securing my offer. If anyone knows of this, or could confirm with me so I can proceed with securing my offer, I would be very grateful!https://warwick.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/lawwithhumanities/

Email admissions. Also is there a Bar website you can check?
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Original post by Dnsnnssn
Email admissions. Also is there a Bar website you can check?

The website is https://www.barstandardsboard.org.uk/training-qualification/becoming-a-barrister/academic-component.html I believe.
As for admissions, I have emailed numerous times however can't seem to find an answer :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by joshryder19
The website is https://www.barstandardsboard.org.uk/training-qualification/becoming-a-barrister/academic-component.html I believe.
As for admissions, I have emailed numerous times however can't seem to find an answer :frown:

Does your degree cover the 7 foundation subjects?
Reply 4
'If you are thinking of becoming a barrister or seeking qualification as a lawyer in other jurisdictions, which recognise the Warwick law degree, you will be advised to take the Foundations of EU Law module in your second year (subject to Bar Standards Board requirements).'

'In your final year you will be required to complete the Supervised Project either as a half or full module. You will also select from a range of optional modules available. If you are thinking of becoming a barrister or seeking qualification as a lawyer in other jurisdictions, which recognise the Warwick law degree, you will be advised to take the Law of Trusts modules in your final year (subject to Bar Standards Board requirements). Otherwise, you may choose from the optional modules available.'

It says these on the page you linked, suggesting that they are very keen to ensure those who wish to be barristers are able to meet the requirements to do so, so I reckon you'll be fine
Reply 5
Law State and the Individual = Public Law
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
Law State and the Individual = Public Law

That would make sense as Public law was the only foundation I couldn't seem to find. Thanks! :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Dnsnnssn
Does your degree cover the 7 foundation subjects?

Explicitly, it covers Criminal, Trusts, EU Law, Contract, Tort, and Land
Does Law State & the Individual count as Public law in this case? Assuming it does, it would then satisfy all 7 foundations

Quick Reply

Latest