The Student Room Group

chem, bio, english lang

hi! im in year 11 currently (in my gcse exams rn) and im just wondering if the combination i picked for alevel works well together? like if universities like it, if it opens a wide career path (im dont know what i want to do for career at all), and how difficult it is ( amount of content wise). maybe provide examples of how these contribute to careers.

i was also wondering about doing bio, psychology and english lang, or maybe bio, maths and business. please tell me which combination works better with each other! my college says we can change the courses up to i think the first term. i feel like an actual lost sheep with no goal or motivation in life haha
thank you!!
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by leyix
hi! im in year 11 currently (in my gcse exams rn) and im just wondering if the combination i picked for alevel works well together? like if universities like it, if it opens a wide career path (im dont know what i want to do for career at all), and how difficult it is ( amount of content wise). maybe provide examples of how these contribute to careers.

i was also wondering about doing bio, psychology and english lang, or maybe bio, maths and business. please tell me which combination works better with each other! my college says we can change the courses up to i think the first term. i feel like an actual lost sheep with no goal or motivation in life haha
thank you!!

heyyy, im a year 13 student and i do biology psychology and english lit - i know your thinking of language and thats a bit different but holistically these alevels for me are great in opening new doors to different paths. I wouldn't suggest bio and chem toegther if you dont want to go into healthcare because its crazy the amount of content in bio let alone both of them.

its okay to feel confused, i have changed my mind hundred of times and planning to take a gap year because i'm still uncertain - it will work out

another possible combination from the alevels you have mentioned : english, psychology & business - I know a friend who does this combination and its bearable

I hope this was useful :smile:

Good luck with the rest of your exams !
Original post by leyix

thank you!!

Hiya,

I hope your exams are going well!

I'm a second year at uni at the minute but when I did my A-levels I chose biology, chemistry and english language. For me personally, biology seemed to have the most content and took up a lot of time. However, it was helpful to have two 'sciences' in the mix as you have in both combinations above. Some uni courses accept psychology as a science in the entry requirements for their courses. Having two sciences can open up your STEM options when applying to uni so that might be helpful to you.

Psychology, business and english language are all essay based subjects so it can be useful to choose one of them to develop a broad range of skills.

You can put your combinations into this website: https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer to see what options are available based on those choices. I found that really helpful when choosing my A-levels.

Ultimately, you will be spending two years studying the subjects so my best advice would be to choose the A-levels that interest you the most and see where that takes you. It will make the process more enjoyable.

Hope this helps and good luck :smile:
-Beth (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest