The Student Room Group

Latin A Level Literature

Hey all, with Prose Lit coming up, how's everyone doing their 15-markers structure wise?
If anyone has any pointers on how to write a banging 15-er (or even a 10-er: I'll take it all at this point), I'd be so grateful <3
Original post by daphnedumourir
Hey all, with Prose Lit coming up, how's everyone doing their 15-markers structure wise?
If anyone has any pointers on how to write a banging 15-er (or even a 10-er: I'll take it all at this point), I'd be so grateful <3

omg i can't even focus on 15 markers rn bc i still haven't learnt half the text! do you learn it off by heart or just translate it in the exam - my school recommends just translating it in the exam bc it takes ages to learn it (which i am now realising) but the last exams have gone not great and i need an A* lmfao so im just sitting here learning all of cicero. such a pain!
i think for 15 markers you sort of just have to make content points and then add style points to back them up - that's what i do. like here in this passage cicero (or whoever you're studying) really emphasises how awful this woman is because she kills her whole family, which is backed up by the sibilance of him condemning her or whatever. sometimes i make the mistake of doing just style points and then only putting a tiny bit of context points in which is usually when i get the lowest mark.
i'm also so stressed for the 20 marker, i've never done one before lmfao bc my school never set any for homework. ugh
Reply 2
Original post by isobelmitchlel
omg i can't even focus on 15 markers rn bc i still haven't learnt half the text! do you learn it off by heart or just translate it in the exam - my school recommends just translating it in the exam bc it takes ages to learn it (which i am now realising) but the last exams have gone not great and i need an A* lmfao so im just sitting here learning all of cicero. such a pain!
i think for 15 markers you sort of just have to make content points and then add style points to back them up - that's what i do. like here in this passage cicero (or whoever you're studying) really emphasises how awful this woman is because she kills her whole family, which is backed up by the sibilance of him condemning her or whatever. sometimes i make the mistake of doing just style points and then only putting a tiny bit of context points in which is usually when i get the lowest mark.
i'm also so stressed for the 20 marker, i've never done one before lmfao bc my school never set any for homework. ugh

Right, that makes so much sense with the 15 markers, thank you! I think my mistake is that I focus *far* too much on the style and not the content, so thank you!
As for the translation, learning all of both proses over a weekend will be a mammoth task, so to speed things up, I'd recommend just typing out a translation of all of the text (this takes about 2-3hrs), then going through the latin with a highlighter to see which sections are sticky, and which you simply can't remember; this way you'll save a fair amount of time & only need to focus on the tricky passages.

The 20-markers I'm just about getting, but I'm reminding myself how I structure them properly later this evening so I'll update properly on those then. Until then, consider 20-markers as an exercise in how boring and basic a point you can make about the text showing you these themes: there is nothing subtle about a 20-marker in my experience. For each theme, essentially list moments from the English translation & the Latin section, and then expand minimally on what they show. They want to see a breadth of knowledge of the text, so know a little bit from every section about every character where possible. hope this helps! <3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending