The Student Room Group

GCSE Chemistry question

Please could some explain this to me? Thanks!!
(edited 10 months ago)
I don't see anything attached...
Reply 2
Original post by Learning4Fun
I don't see anything attached...

Sorry I’ve just attached it to the original post
Original post by Ashirs
Please could some explain this to me? Thanks!!

If you look at the method, what the student is doing is heating a saturated solution of the salt until it is dry.

If you tried to dry hydrated copper sulphate by heating, what would happen to the water of crystallisation (i.e the water molecules in the crystal structure that make the copper sulphate hydrated)?
Reply 4
Original post by TypicalNerd
If you look at the method, what the student is doing is heating a saturated solution of the salt until it is dry.

If you tried to dry hydrated copper sulphate by heating, what would happen to the water of crystallisation (i.e the water molecules in the crystal structure that make the copper sulphate hydrated)?

Would they break? But I don’t really understand the difference between the two? In both cases isn’t water being evaporated and leaving a dry substance, like anhydrous copper (II) sulfate?
Original post by Ashirs
Would they break? But I don’t really understand the difference between the two? In both cases isn’t water being evaporated and leaving a dry substance, like anhydrous copper (II) sulfate?

The point of the experiment is to find the mass of the solute dissolved in the experiment.

The problem is that in the second case, some water actually forms part of the mass of the solute and in removing it by heating, you aren’t actually finding the mass of the solute because the water molecules that were part of the structure that get driven off account for some of the solute’s mass.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by TypicalNerd
The point of the experiment is to find the mass of the solute dissolved in the experiment.

The problem is that in the second case, some water actually forms part of the mass of the solute and in removing it by heating, you aren’t actually finding the mass of the solute because the water molecules that were part of the structure that get driven off account for some of the solute’s mass.

Ohhh that makes a lot more sense, thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest