The Student Room Group

Can I do Biology and Chemistry A Levels without Maths?

Is learning Maths really beneficial alongside Biology and Chemistry for A Level? In university I'm interested in learning Medicine/Medical studies, or something in the Biochemistry sphere, don't know for sure, but definitely not something that is primarily based on Maths. The college I'm going to provides complimentary Maths lessons for science subjects if you're not taking Maths. Alongside Biology and Chemistry I might do Environmental Science. Do you think they are doable without Maths? And how easily will I be accepted in Uni without Maths? I'm asking this as I have been homeschooling Maths, and most of the time I did okay, but I don't feel as confident in it as I do in Biology and Chemistry. I feel like in college my interest for Maths will increase again, but I don't know for sure.
yes you can. I did bio, chem and psych and was perfectly fine. the only requirement was a 6 in GCSE maths.
and to answer the question about uni's, they do not care.
Original post by ultraseis
Is learning Maths really beneficial alongside Biology and Chemistry for A Level? In university I'm interested in learning Medicine/Medical studies, or something in the Biochemistry sphere, don't know for sure, but definitely not something that is primarily based on Maths. The college I'm going to provides complimentary Maths lessons for science subjects if you're not taking Maths. Alongside Biology and Chemistry I might do Environmental Science. Do you think they are doable without Maths? And how easily will I be accepted in Uni without Maths? I'm asking this as I have been homeschooling Maths, and most of the time I did okay, but I don't feel as confident in it as I do in Biology and Chemistry. I feel like in college my interest for Maths will increase again, but I don't know for sure.

Hi @ultraseis

I study biochemistry at university and in my experience most of the maths is covered through biology and chemistry at A level and maths GCSE. Most of the calculations are based around volume/concentration/moles etc. in biology (if you do some pure chemistry modules the maths is a bit different but basically just learning to use formulas) so as long as you are able to confidently rearrange formulas and convert units you will be fine.

Most universities also offer maths help for students who may want additional support alongside their studies; Lancaster University has the Maths and Stats Hub (MASH) which offers workshops and 1-on-1 drop in sessions.

Let me know if you have any other questions :smile:
Rebecca (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest