The Student Room Group

Edexcel A Level Further Mathematics Paper 4D (9FM0 4D) - 26th June 2023 [Exam Chat]

Poll

How did your Edexcel A Level Further Mathematics Paper 4D exam go?

Edexcel A Level Further Mathematics Paper 4D (9FM0 4D) - 26th June 2023 [Exam Chat]

Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam. Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.

Wishing you all the best of luck.

General Information
Date/Time: 26th June 2023/ PM
Length: 1hr 30 mins

Resources:
Edexcel A Level Further Mathematics
good luck!
Reply 2
Anyone ready for this tomorrow, if anyone’s even in this thread, I don’t think many people do double decision?
Hoping for an easy paper
Reply 4
Original post by Mushroomvelvet
Hoping for an easy paper

Aren’t we all😂
Reply 5
Nice paper I think
Paper was quite nice except for the RR questions imo.

Finally done then, have a good summer everyone!
1) 54 feasible flow
71 c1
90 c2

2) £9200 decision emv should have insurance

3) theta 31 13
cr dq ds

4)turn to minimise
2 lines 3 lines 4 lines
145 expected scores

5) Un = 17 -2(-1/2)^n +2n
n tends to infinity, Un tends to 2n

6) £16100 dynamic programming

7) Un+1= 0.75Un +k
k=£13084.24 (think this is wrong)

8)2/11 value of game to a
4/11 q1 7/11 q2 0 q3

B never chooses Z

my answers
Original post by ssilvertongue
1) 54 feasible flow
71 c1
90 c2

2) £9200 decision emv should have insurance

3) theta 31 13
cr dq ds

4)turn to minimise
2 lines 3 lines 4 lines
145 expected scores

5) Un = 17 -2(-1/2)^n +2n
n tends to infinity, Un tends to 2n

6) £16100 dynamic programming

7) Un+1= 0.75Un +k
k=£13084.24 (think this is wrong)

8)2/11 value of game to a
4/11 q1 7/11 q2 0 q3

B never chooses Z

my answers

7 I believe I got k = 483 roughly and I was quite confident with it
And question 5 the last part I think I just put down Un tends to infinity as n tends to infinity I didn’t specify it tending to 2n

Don’t remember the specific values of Q1 but that sounds familiar, everything else I got the exact same
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by Sawalha31234
7 I believe I got k = 483 roughly and I was quite confident with it
And question 5 the last part I think I just put down Un tends to infinity as n tends to infinity I didn’t specify it tending to 2n

Don’t remember the specific values of Q1 but that sounds familiar, everything else I got the exact same

yeah your k makes more sense practically than mine
Reply 10
1. Relatively nice flows question. Seeing that the flow-augmentation route “by inspection” goes backwards was a little mean, but oh well.

2. Nice EMV question. People might’ve got caught out by how wordy it was I nearly messed it up but caught myself.

3. Transportation question was alright. Nothing out of the ordinary really.

4. The allocation question messed with me. First time, I minimised whoops! Second time, I did the method wrong but got a feasible allocation of 145. Third time, I thought I did the method right but got a feasible allocation of 144?!? Oh well, lost marks.

5. Never seen a transformation of recurrence before, but I liked it. Curious to see if the markscheme will give marks to people who just went straight ahead with solving u_n instead of using v_n.

6. Standard dynamic programming in table form. Just be careful entering things into your calculator and keep organised.

7. Second recurrence question? Real world application? Don’t mind if I do! I still don’t get why RR is in Decision; as a PureBoi(tm), I’m not complaining though!

8. This game theory question had a lot of moving parts. There’ll be dropped marks for a lot of people I imagine. The first bit was nice, but the real hurdle for me was “using” the information they gave for A’s probabilities. Wasn’t useful to me. Also never seen a question like that except in the challenge section of the textbook.

TL;DR Not as nice as D1, but better than CP1 or CP2 by a decent margin.
Original post by KrozJrUK
1. Relatively nice flows question. Seeing that the flow-augmentation route “by inspection” goes backwards was a little mean, but oh well.

2. Nice EMV question. People might’ve got caught out by how wordy it was I nearly messed it up but caught myself.

3. Transportation question was alright. Nothing out of the ordinary really.

4. The allocation question messed with me. First time, I minimised whoops! Second time, I did the method wrong but got a feasible allocation of 145. Third time, I thought I did the method right but got a feasible allocation of 144?!? Oh well, lost marks.

5. Never seen a transformation of recurrence before, but I liked it. Curious to see if the markscheme will give marks to people who just went straight ahead with solving u_n instead of using v_n.

6. Standard dynamic programming in table form. Just be careful entering things into your calculator and keep organised.

7. Second recurrence question? Real world application? Don’t mind if I do! I still don’t get why RR is in Decision; as a PureBoi(tm), I’m not complaining though!

8. This game theory question had a lot of moving parts. There’ll be dropped marks for a lot of people I imagine. The first bit was nice, but the real hurdle for me was “using” the information they gave for A’s probabilities. Wasn’t useful to me. Also never seen a question like that except in the challenge section of the textbook.

TL;DR Not as nice as D1, but better than CP1 or CP2 by a decent margin.

I got lucky with Q8, Q4 2019 part e is very similar to the last part of Q8, just remembered to check how to do it right before the exam

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending