English Lang 7
Biology 8
Chemistry 9
Business 8
Religious studies 9
French 9
Physics 7
History 6

The grades probably ain’t that bad but my core subjects are probably letting me down, I want to go to a University like UoB because I live in Birmingham and don’t really want to move out of the city

I saw their requirements on how they grade all 3 of your core subjects like Maths/Lit/Lang , both sciences and 2 other subjects

I’m confident in getting A*s in my A-levels, but the thing is Medical schools look at GCSEs for interviews as well

Thanks, let me know what you think
Original post by og-iconx
Hi, I got the following GCSE grades

Maths 7
English lit 7
English Lang 7
Biology 8
Chemistry 9
Business 8
Religious studies 9
French 9
Physics 7
History 6

The grades probably ain’t that bad but my core subjects are probably letting me down, I want to go to a University like UoB because I live in Birmingham and don’t really want to move out of the city

I saw their requirements on how they grade all 3 of your core subjects like Maths/Lit/Lang , both sciences and 2 other subjects

I’m confident in getting A*s in my A-levels, but the thing is Medical schools look at GCSEs for interviews as well

I think for medicine, your sciences are definitely top notch and your core subjects are pretty good and consistent grades - obviously, have a look at the entry requirements. But remember that entry requirements are only one step of the application process, things like personal statement, supercurriculars and how you present yourself in an interview or just in general also matter too, so don't feel too disheartened in that sense.
I hope that helps and good luck, I'm sure you'll be able to succeed!

Maths 7
English lit 7
English Lang 7
Biology 8
Chemistry 9
Business 8
Religious studies 9
French 9
Physics 7
History 6

Your assumption about how medicine courses assess GCSE grades is incorrect. Different medical schools have vastly different ways of assessing GCSEs - some are very GCSE heavy, some score specific GCSEs but not all, some only have minimum requirements for GCSEs and do not score them otherwise. Just because Birmingham does it that way doesn't mean any other medical school does.

Every single medical school will have its own way of shortlisting for interview and all publish this on their webpages. If you don't research what the specific shortlisting methodologies are for the medical schools you are considering applying to, then you are just setting yourself up for 4 rejections because you applied based on supposition rather than tactically based on the publicly available information.
(edited 10 months ago)

Maths 7
English lit 7
English Lang 7
Biology 8
Chemistry 9
Business 8
Religious studies 9
French 9
Physics 7
History 6

in my opinion mate I think your GCSE's are perfectly fine, if you wanna do medicine because its so competitive your gonna have to apply to other unis aswell and therefore there is the prospect of you moving out. most medical schools ask for AAA so if you get that your fine (A*AA for Birmingham ) but the most important thing in your application which I cannot stress enough is UCAT. because most people have excellent GCSE's and A levels the deciding factor for interview is UCAT. eg lets say birminhgm asks for A*AA it wont make a difference whether you have A*AA OR A*A*A* as the deciding factor for interview is UCAT
Reply 4
Original post by B7861
in my opinion mate I think your GCSE's are perfectly fine, if you wanna do medicine because its so competitive your gonna have to apply to other unis aswell and therefore there is the prospect of you moving out. most medical schools ask for AAA so if you get that your fine (A*AA for Birmingham ) but the most important thing in your application which I cannot stress enough is UCAT. because most people have excellent GCSE's and A levels the deciding factor for interview is UCAT. eg lets say birminhgm asks for A*AA it wont make a difference whether you have A*AA OR A*A*A* as the deciding factor for interview is UCAT

I really appreciate it mate!
Reply 5

Maths 7
English lit 7
English Lang 7
Biology 8
Chemistry 9
Business 8
Religious studies 9
French 9
Physics 7
History 6

Heya!

Those are amazing grades, well done! If it helps, check out this medical school comparison tool that goes over different entry requirements and see what the schools would want :h: Remember, there are also admissions tests and interviews to get through as well!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 6
Original post by StudyMind
Heya!

Those are amazing grades, well done! If it helps, check out this medical school comparison tool that goes over different entry requirements and see what the schools would want :h: Remember, there are also admissions tests and interviews to get through as well!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE

Thanks, what does it mean by contextual?
Reply 7
Thanks, what does it mean by contextual?

Heya!
A contextual offer is an offer where a university has taken the personal circumstances of a potential student into account and may ask for lower grades than asked earlier :h: You can read more about it here.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 8

Maths 7
English lit 7
English Lang 7
Biology 8
Chemistry 9
Business 8
Religious studies 9
French 9
Physics 7
History 6

Coming from someone who also wanted to do UoB for medicine, I think your GCSES are great but they may put you at a disadvantage for medicine specifically since Birmingham seems hell bent on taking students with all 8s and 9s mostly in gcses. I think if your UCAT ends up being significantly good, as well as your predicted grades you don't have to worry much; because your gcses are really high and would definitely be a benefit in applications at many med schools who use gcses in weighting for applications, and you should also look into contextual offers.

Maths 7
English lit 7
English Lang 7
Biology 8
Chemistry 9
Business 8
Religious studies 9
French 9
Physics 7
History 6

Hi @og-iconx

I don't think you need to worry too much about your GCSE's as they look like a great set of grades! And your A Levels sound on track too.

Although you are interested in the University of Birmingham, Birmingham City University also offers some great medicine courses if you're wanting to stay in Birmingham for your studies. Here is the link to the medical courses available at BCU: https://www.bcu.ac.uk/health-sciences

On most of the BCU courses the standard GCSE requirements are "GCSE English Language or English Literature and GCSE Maths at grade C/4 or above", so I wouldn't worry too much about your GCSE's, as they meet these requirements. Just remember to check the requirements for each course and university as they may differ.

Hope this helps,
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU

Quick Reply

Latest