The Student Room Group

Can I go into medicine with a similar degree, but bad GCSEs?

Because of the private candidate costs I could only do 5 GCSEs, and due to mental health and autism that has caused me to be thrown around in a system in which does not help those who need help, I could only achieve 54333. I’m doing well now and have already started 4 A levels. If I go and do a degree related to medicine/psychology, could I get into a medical degree programme and would it be better to do a postgraduate 4 years medical degree? Thanks :smile:
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2024 Applicants :
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
GAMSAT 2024 / 2025 entry discussions megathread
UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Other application years:
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Hiii, how old are you? I fully relate!! I want to do Radiology or Gynaecology but I don’t know if my aspirations are too high lol! I have suspected Autism and other mh issues so I understand what you mean. What do you want to do as a career? :smile:
Also, you can go into Grad med but it will cost more most likely and it’s more competitive but they don’t care for GCSEs really. As long as you meet the requirements. But you could always try and re take your GCSEs as you have autism and mental health problems and could always email the admissions team to ask if that’s allowed to the unis you think you want to apply to.
I’m going to re take my GCSEs this year if I actually decide to lol
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Vyshto Andeddu
Because of the private candidate costs I could only do 5 GCSEs, and due to mental health and autism that has caused me to be thrown around in a system in which does not help those who need help, I could only achieve 54333. I’m doing well now and have already started 4 A levels. If I go and do a degree related to medicine/psychology, could I get into a medical degree programme and would it be better to do a postgraduate 4 years medical degree? Thanks :smile:

It is possible as there are grad entry medicine universities which do not consider your GCSEs at all (e.g. Warwick) - grad entry is much harder to get into than undergraduate but in short the answer is yes it is possible but your choices may be limited

Just apply directly to medicine and avoid GCSE heavy medical schools. No need to do another degree first. Imperial and UCL for example just require minimum requirements (grade 5 or above in English language and maths I believe), and after that don't score GCSEs. There are quite a few other medical schools with the same process.

If you don't have at least a 5 in English language and maths I would recommend aiming to retake those two (or one if you have a 5 in one of them already) alongside your A-levels, as that is a very common requirement for UK unis and is usually considered a "hard" requirement where you will be automatically rejected without it. This is due to those subjects being commonly used as an indicator of literacy/numeracy. Retaking English and/or maths alongside 3 A-levels should be feasible - might be more challenging alongside 4 A-levels so may be worth dropping one of your A-levels if needed.

Also generally graduate entry medicine is more competitive than standard entry medicine, so better to just aim for standard entry medicine.
Original post by futuremedgirl
Hiii, how old are you? I fully relate!! I want to do Radiology or Gynaecology but I don’t know if my aspirations are too high lol! I have suspected Autism and other mh issues so I understand what you mean. What do you want to do as a career? :smile:
Also, you can go into Grad med but it will cost more most likely and it’s more competitive but they don’t care for GCSEs really. As long as you meet the requirements. But you could always try and re take your GCSEs as you have autism and mental health problems and could always email the admissions team to ask if that’s allowed to the unis you think you want to apply to.
I’m going to re take my GCSEs this year if I actually decide to lol

I'm 17 and hoping to go into either neurology or neurosurgery. I really want to go and study a MBBS by starting with a BSc (Hons) in Neuroscience. Wby, are hoping to do a degree before med school?
I'm 17 and hoping to go into either neurology or neurosurgery. I really want to go and study a MBBS by starting with a BSc (Hons) in Neuroscience. Wby, are hoping to do a degree before med school?

What are the entry requirements for neuroscience? Good luck btw!!
So, you’re going to do a degree in neuroscience and then apply for Grad med?
I’m actually debating whether to actually do nursing/ radiography and work and then come back to do Grad Med or just go straight to med. I may just go straight onto Med. I’m not sure though:smile:.
What are the entry requirements for neuroscience? Good luck btw!!
So, you’re going to do a degree in neuroscience and then apply for Grad med?
I’m actually debating whether to actually do nursing/ radiography and work and then come back to do Grad Med or just go straight to med. I may just go straight onto Med. I’m not sure though:smile:.

Entry for Neuroscience is usually AAA with an A in bio and some unis ask for chem. Some unis offer placement years in a life science just as a foundation year and then they transfer you to the neuro degree. I'm looking at Sussex at the moment to study their degree in Medical Neuroscience. Where are you looking at going? Grad med is harder to get into, but it's my only route so yh.
Entry for Neuroscience is usually AAA with an A in bio and some unis ask for chem. Some unis offer placement years in a life science just as a foundation year and then they transfer you to the neuro degree. I'm looking at Sussex at the moment to study their degree in Medical Neuroscience. Where are you looking at going? Grad med is harder to get into, but it's my only route so yh.

So you’re doing A-Levels of Bio and Chem then I’m assuming? What other A-Level are you studying? You’re doing so well! Looks like you have a good plan for yourself so that’s brilliant ! :smile:
I have no clue at all on where I can go especially with GCSE re sits and also Idk if im smart enough to actually do it. So idk if I’m going to do Med or not really… Do you self study your A-Levels or go sixth form?
So you’re doing A-Levels of Bio and Chem then I’m assuming? What other A-Level are you studying? You’re doing so well! Looks like you have a good plan for yourself so that’s brilliant ! :smile:
I have no clue at all on where I can go especially with GCSE re sits and also Idk if im smart enough to actually do it. So idk if I’m going to do Med or not really… Do you self study your A-Levels or go sixth form?

I've been home-schooled since Dec 2020. I got taken out of school because it was just awful. I'm continuing my A levels at home. I'll be studying Biology, Marine Science, Mathematics and Physics. But, I teach myself a whole bunch of stuff like neuroscience. I'm not going to do the resists because there are better paths for me to go down if I want to go into medicine. I'm also not sure on what I really want to do, I kinda want to go into Neuroscience research, or perhaps Environmental Science research, it's really just a whole bur of interests that ADHD makes more confusing. What A levels are you going to study?
I've been home-schooled since Dec 2020. I got taken out of school because it was just awful. I'm continuing my A levels at home. I'll be studying Biology, Marine Science, Mathematics and Physics. But, I teach myself a whole bunch of stuff like neuroscience. I'm not going to do the resists because there are better paths for me to go down if I want to go into medicine. I'm also not sure on what I really want to do, I kinda want to go into Neuroscience research, or perhaps Environmental Science research, it's really just a whole bur of interests that ADHD makes more confusing. What A levels are you going to study?

Aww, I’m so sorry you had a rough experience:frown:. Honestly I would recommend doing just the three A-Levels unless the course asks for four as doing four puts you at no advantage. It may also stress you out and it’s not worth it and you’ll have more workload. I would just stick to Biology, Physics, Maths for example (obviously you can change the subjects depending on what is required and what you prefer). But you sound like you’re very interested in that field and I can see you will do well :smile:. Also, are you doing practicals at all? Yes, there are other ways for you to get into Med and you should do whatever is best for you:smile:.
Maybe seek some help for your ADHD, I am seeking help too! It should help you if you haven’t already tried:smile:.

I’m going to study Biology, Chemistry and another subject probably either Environmental Science (most likely), psychology(maybe) or physics (i really dont want to do physics lol so most likely not) or something else who knows lol. I wish I could do Physics like you lol! Idk if I can study Chemistry but it’s required for me sadly!

I am re taking GCSEs at the moment though and I’m studying new ones too this summer and then next September I’m going to start my A-Levels!

Always here if you need any help with career paths or anything like that:smile:
Aww, I’m so sorry you had a rough experience:frown:. Honestly I would recommend doing just the three A-Levels unless the course asks for four as doing four puts you at no advantage. It may also stress you out and it’s not worth it and you’ll have more workload. I would just stick to Biology, Physics, Maths for example (obviously you can change the subjects depending on what is required and what you prefer). But you sound like you’re very interested in that field and I can see you will do well :smile:. Also, are you doing practicals at all? Yes, there are other ways for you to get into Med and you should do whatever is best for you:smile:.
Maybe seek some help for your ADHD, I am seeking help too! It should help you if you haven’t already tried:smile:.

I’m going to study Biology, Chemistry and another subject probably either Environmental Science (most likely), psychology(maybe) or physics (i really dont want to do physics lol so most likely not) or something else who knows lol. I wish I could do Physics like you lol! Idk if I can study Chemistry but it’s required for me sadly!

I am re taking GCSEs at the moment though and I’m studying new ones too this summer and then next September I’m going to start my A-Levels!

Always here if you need any help with career paths or anything like that:smile:

I'm doing international A levels which means that I don't do the practicals so it is easier and cheaper for home-schooling. I'm doing the Marine Science as a fast track A level so I'll be studying only that in the first year and then for Yr 13 I'll do the rest and finish them in a Yr 14 so I'll be at uni when I'm 20.
Original post by Krisht1200
you can try for medicine in european university by medlink and my Instagram is abs130_

Unfortunately, due to Brexit, the new laws state that everything I have I will have to pay the customs the values of each of those items and I wouldn't get those back. And I would have finished A levels and uni before I would even get a secure residence in the EU. Tories ruin everything for a quick penny.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending