The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

Computer Science Foundation Year

Hello, I was wondering from people who have previously taken a foundation year at Carmel College, particularly for computer science, what is the timetable like? How many days a week is it? What are the start and end times? Also, what is the difficulty of the content, specifically maths and additional maths? Is it similar to A-Level maths or is it a bit easier?
Hi there!

I don't have experience of the Foundation Year courses, however I do know that the timetables for the University general, and therefore I assume Carmel College are typically released a few weeks ahead of the start of the teaching term :smile:

Let me know if there is something else I can help you with.

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Original post by Seido99
Hello, I was wondering from people who have previously taken a foundation year at Carmel College, particularly for computer science, what is the timetable like? How many days a week is it? What are the start and end times? Also, what is the difficulty of the content, specifically maths and additional maths? Is it similar to A-Level maths or is it a bit easier?

I literally just passed foundation year for computer science today 😂. My timetable was 5 days of the week but ik some ppl had only 4 days at the college. The start and end times range, the earliest start is 9 and the latest is 16.05. The content is very similar to A-level maths but it's reduced so I found it easier. Add maths has some further maths content but I didn't think it was too difficult.
If you have anymore questions let me know.
Reply 3
Original post by WeepingAngel25
I literally just passed foundation year for computer science today 😂. My timetable was 5 days of the week but ik some ppl had only 4 days at the college. The start and end times range, the earliest start is 9 and the latest is 16.05. The content is very similar to A-level maths but it's reduced so I found it easier. Add maths has some further maths content but I didn't think it was too difficult.
If you have anymore questions let me know.

What was the most common start time? I'm assuming 9, right? How common were half days?
Original post by Seido99
What was the most common start time? I'm assuming 9, right? How common were half days?

I started at 9, 3 days of the week. I had 3 half days but obviously it ranges for everyone. Every foundation year student finishes early on Wednesday.
Reply 5
I started at 9, 3 days of the week. I had 3 half days but obviously it ranges for everyone. Every foundation year student finishes early on Wednesday.

What are the breaks like? Are you with other people from the uni? Do you also have breaks with people from other courses or just the same course?
Original post by Seido99
What are the breaks like? Are you with other people from the uni? Do you also have breaks with people from other courses or just the same course?

There are sections of the college which are specifically for foundation year students. Anyone waiting for their next class just hangs around there usually. They can be from any course as people doing the same course can have different timetables.
Reply 7
There are sections of the college which are specifically for foundation year students. Anyone waiting for their next class just hangs around there usually. They can be from any course as people doing the same course can have different timetables.

Thank you, that's good to know.
Reply 8
What is the classes like: do you need a laptop or just a notebook and pen, if your in at 9 what time would you finish, how many breaks are there and how long are they, is there places to eat nearby or just at the college?

Original post by jko.myuga
What is the classes like: do you need a laptop or just a notebook and pen, if your in at 9 what time would you finish, how many breaks are there and how long are they, is there places to eat nearby or just at the college?

The classes are set up pretty much like secondary/sixth form. Most people used a notebook and pen but some people brought in tablets. In computer science some people brought in their own laptops.

If you start at 9 you could finish at anytime, it just depends on your timetable.

There is a break which is 20mins and a break which is 50mins(lunch). But obviously you can get free periods in your timetable where you have to wait for another lesson. These differ depending on how long you have to wait for another lesson. You could be in at 9 and and not have another lesson until 2.45(which I did).

There is a subway and co-op like 2mins away from the college. There is also a place you can get chips/nuggets/burgers etc. literally right next to the entrance. But the college cateen is very good with loads of options.
Reply 10
Thank you! I'm considering switching to computer science foundation instead of engineering foundation. Do you share classes with each other for the same modules such as maths or is separated by degree?

The classes are set up pretty much like secondary/sixth form. Most people used a notebook and pen but some people brought in tablets. In computer science some people brought in their own laptops.

If you start at 9 you could finish at anytime, it just depends on your timetable.

There is a break which is 20mins and a break which is 50mins(lunch). But obviously you can get free periods in your timetable where you have to wait for another lesson. These differ depending on how long you have to wait for another lesson. You could be in at 9 and and not have another lesson until 2.45(which I did).

There is a subway and co-op like 2mins away from the college. There is also a place you can get chips/nuggets/burgers etc. literally right next to the entrance. But the college cateen is very good with loads of options.
Original post by jko.myuga
Thank you! I'm considering switching to computer science foundation instead of engineering foundation. Do you share classes with each other for the same modules such as maths or is separated by degree?

Yeah you share classes with each other for the same module. You'll probably end up with many engineering students in your classes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending