The Student Room Group

Clearing decision help please!

Hi, i need help and advice on 3 options :smile:
1) Computer science at Keele University . Bachelors and then hopefully for masters i switch to a uni based in london or warwick.
2) Computer science with foundation year at Swansea university. Would still switch for masters, however 4 years tuition loan fee + (masters fee). Swansea is higher ranked however.
3) Electrical and Electronic Engineering Foundation Year at Kent University but switch to Computer science after FY granted i pass with high %, im not exactly sure on chances of switch but was told its very possible.
I don't have a maths or computer background (only at gcse) therefore foundation could help get me up to speed. But Keele seems easier as 3 years, and course structure seems good.
Would love some advice please :smile:!!
@Baleroc @artful_lounger (only one i saw on TSR that gives advice on compsci, if anyone else knows anyone @ them ty)
(edited 7 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

bump
bump :O
Original post by MoneyMase2020
1) Computer science at Keele University . Bachelors and then hopefully for masters i switch to a uni based in london or warwick.
2) Computer science with foundation year at Swansea university. Would still switch for masters, however 4 years tuition loan fee + (masters fee). Swansea is higher ranked however.
3) Electrical and Electronic Engineering Foundation Year at Kent University but switch to Computer science after FY granted i pass with high %, im not exactly sure on chances of switch but was told its very possible.
I don't have a maths or computer background (only at gcse) therefore foundation could help get me up to speed. But Keele seems easier as 3 years, and course structure seems good.
@Baleroc (only one i saw on TSR that gives advice on compsci, if anyone else knows anyone @ them ty)

This is very much a personal decision as to whether you feel you can afford a foundation year. It does limit you to taking your degree at that university and uses up your bonus years funding.

Swansea's course is in the new computational foundry building on the new Bay campus. It is 2 and 1/2 miles out of the city centre. Swansea is the largest of the 3 towns but only you can decide which is right for you.

Please do not bump when you havent posted an hour before.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=swansea+university+computational+foundry&&view=detail&mid=C2743E2883C848306F62C2743E2883C848306F62&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dswansea%2Buniversity%2Bcomputational%2Bfoundry%26FORM%3DHDRSC4

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=swansea+university+computational+foundry&&view=detail&mid=37899C6FD1C6882B36FF37899C6FD1C6882B36FF&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dswansea%2Buniversity%2Bcomputational%2Bfoundry%26FORM%3DHDRSC4

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=swansea+university+computational+foundry&&view=detail&mid=CB21797E1C664EB17774CB21797E1C664EB17774&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dswansea%2Buniversity%2Bcomputational%2Bfoundry%26FORM%3DHDRSC4

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=swansea+university+computational+foundry&&view=detail&mid=A9A2D04A8BD24C444CADA9A2D04A8BD24C444CAD&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Dswansea%2Buniversity%2Bcomputational%2Bfoundry%26FORM%3DHDRSC4

But would doing compsci at a much better uni such as swansea be much more beneficial than keele, granted i'd be spending 9k more.
Nobody but you can decide on that. If you dont want to pay it go to Keele. Why have you only been offered foundation by Swansea.
Original post by swanseajack1
Nobody but you can decide on that. If you dont want to pay it go to Keele. Why have you only been offered foundation by Swansea.

I mean thats why im asking for advice, im not sure if it is more beneficial., but i'd assume so since swansea is higher ranked in terms of university ranking, student satisfaction etc. Keele much lower, but employability around the same.
I only got grades BCC so applied foundation, keele accepted those grades onto their main programme.
I mean thats why im asking for advice, im not sure if it is more beneficial., but i'd assume so since swansea is higher ranked in terms of university ranking, student satisfaction etc. Keele much lower, but employability around the same.
I only got grades BCC so applied foundation, keele accepted those grades onto their main programme.

It is a personal decision. What one person thinks another will think differently.
Original post by swanseajack1
It is a personal decision. What one person thinks another will think differently.

Try giving Swansea a ring in the morning and see if they will accept you on the main program instead. You are not far off their requirement
@Baleroc @artful_lounger (only one i saw on TSR that gives advice on compsci, if anyone else knows anyone @ them ty)

Unless you're an international student tuition fee costs are immaterial as they're going to be paid by the SLC for you and odds are your loan will be written off before you repay it in full anyway.

If you don't have any mathematical background then a foundation year is a good idea in my opinion. I had a friend who didn't do maths past GCSE and in all honesty was not that mathematically inclined go into a CS degree that didn't require A-level Maths directly, and he struggled with the maths content a lot and swapped out to another programme in the end. Remember even if it doesn't require A-level Maths for entry, you still need to cover that content, and a foundation year gives you a bit more time to develop that very important background. Equally if you don't like and/or struggle with maths, I would suggest not pursuing a CS degree and instead looking at degree apprenticeship options in the computing sector.

Up to you but it's really important to recognise a degree in computer science is not just a degree in programming and the mathematical elements are essential to the entire course, in much the same way the maths in a physics or engineering degree are essential.
I would strongly suggest you to go through some maths as well as the requirement specified on the course content for each uni you're applying. If you can, try and read some of the topics. Make sure you're happy with it!!!
I feel that CS - A Level was way more beneficial to me than the actual maths- A level. First year was def some statistics as well as discrete maths and if you have to learn as you go, then you might burn out. So think careful! Make sure you go through the course content first, don't just jump in! Good luck!
Original post by artful_lounger
Unless you're an international student tuition fee costs are immaterial as they're going to be paid by the SLC for you and odds are your loan will be written off before you repay it in full anyway.

If you don't have any mathematical background then a foundation year is a good idea in my opinion. I had a friend who didn't do maths past GCSE and in all honesty was not that mathematically inclined go into a CS degree that didn't require A-level Maths directly, and he struggled with the maths content a lot and swapped out to another programme in the end. Remember even if it doesn't require A-level Maths for entry, you still need to cover that content, and a foundation year gives you a bit more time to develop that very important background. Equally if you don't like and/or struggle with maths, I would suggest not pursuing a CS degree and instead looking at degree apprenticeship options in the computing sector.

Up to you but it's really important to recognise a degree in computer science is not just a degree in programming and the mathematical elements are essential to the entire course, in much the same way the maths in a physics or engineering degree are essential.

agreed, this is why im fine with doing foundation as it will teach me some a-level maths needed. Im decent at maths got a A in gcse, and in chemistry the math content is fine,i just did not pick maths a-level as i was pursing more towards medicine.
Swansea just seems much more appealing to me than keele, only pros with keele i see atm is 1)i know a handful of friends that go there 2) its close to cities such as manchester , so i can meet up with friends easier than if i was to go swansea.
Swansea however is much better imo for academic reasons. Tough decision ahead
Original post by ThiagoBrigido
I would strongly suggest you to go through some maths as well as the requirement specified on the course content for each uni you're applying. If you can, try and read some of the topics. Make sure you're happy with it!!!
I feel that CS - A Level was way more beneficial to me than the actual maths- A level. First year was def some statistics as well as discrete maths and if you have to learn as you go, then you might burn out. So think careful! Make sure you go through the course content first, don't just jump in! Good luck!

Thanks for this advice, will be deffo checking out the math content (i have skimmed through a few already, did seem scary but manageable lol)
agreed, this is why im fine with doing foundation as it will teach me some a-level maths needed. Im decent at maths got a A in gcse, and in chemistry the math content is fine,i just did not pick maths a-level as i was pursing more towards medicine.
Swansea just seems much more appealing to me than keele, only pros with keele i see atm is 1)i know a handful of friends that go there 2) its close to cities such as manchester , so i can meet up with friends easier than if i was to go swansea.
Swansea however is much better imo for academic reasons. Tough decision ahead

To be honest I think academically it's equivocal, and the computing sector is I gather fairly agnostic to your uni - the main thing is how well you are prepared to pass leetcode and assessment centre exercises. Which your degree is probably not going to be specifically geared towards anyway and will be something you get the foundations for from your degree work but develop more independently yourself.
Reply 14

Hi, thank you for tagging me.

First, let's clarify one thing I've seen in this thread. A degree with a foundation year does NOT always use up the bonus year of funding. There are two types of foundation year degrees. One that is integrated, and one that isn't. Foundation years that are integrated do not use up the bonus year. In this case, Swansea and Keele do not use up the bonus year, but Kent's course will.

Next, I want to address the stigma of Foundation Years. Many people have a negative attitude towards one, and I want to talk about that. For a foundation year, it takes you 1 year longer than it would normally. But, you are already taking 3 years to complete the degree. Second, the whole purpose of a degree (given you are paying for it eventually) is to build you the skills, confidence and ability to do anything you want in life. If your degree is not achieving that, what is the purpose of achieving a degree if it doesn't provide you with all the skills necessary to be successful. If you learn and can accomplish more with a foundation year, then the skills you benefit from will aid you far more than the year saved from doing a 3 year degree.

Now, I will go through each course individually:
1) Computer Science at Keele. This is a software development degree. It's labelled computer science, but it focuses on web development, mobile development, programming, databases, and more. It is a great software development degree NOT a computer science degree. So, if you want a degree without much math, that focuses on software development, this is a good option.

Next, let's discuss Swansea.
I think the foundation year with computer science degree is great. The foundation year covers more core mathematical concepts compared to Keele.

However, Swansea's foundation year and degree doesn't cover some important concepts like calculus or university-level algebra, only the basics of mathematics, which may be limiting. But, it still covers more mathematics than Keele's CS degree.

Overall,
- Swansea is more comprehensive, especially if you want to pursue mathematically-inclined areas of CS, like Machine Learning and data science.
- Swansea offers more breadth and depth than Keele based solely on its syllabus (one caveat to this: Keele has less information about its syllabus compared to Swansea, so that could be the reason why).
- Both degrees have their flaws, with both not covering the ideal amount of mathematics needed, but Swansea does cover more mathematics than Keele.

So if you had to choose between the foundation year in computer science at Swansea or computer science at Keele, I would choose Swansea's foundation year in computer science degree.

Finally, your Kent university choice involves starting with Electrical Engineering, then switching courses. In this case, the foundation year WILL count as a bonus year of funding, which means you cannot fail a year at all, or you won't be able to complete your degree. Therefore, I don't recommend this option.

In conclusion, if I had to choose between your three options, I would choose Swansea's Computer Science with a Foundation Year, it is better than Keele when considering only the syllabus, and Kent I would not recommend taking their electronic engineering foundation year as you would lose 1 year of funding, which wouldn't happen if you chose Swansea's integrated foundation year course.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by Baleroc

First, let's clarify one thing I've seen in this thread. A degree with a foundation year does NOT always use up the bonus year of funding. There are two types of foundation year degrees. One that is integrated, and one that isn't. Foundation years that are integrated do not use up the bonus year. In this case, Swansea and Keele do not use up the bonus year, but Kent's course will.

Next, I want to address the stigma of Foundation Years. Many people have a negative attitude towards one, and I want to talk about that. For a foundation year, it takes you 1 year longer than it would normally. But, you are already taking 3 years to complete the degree. Second, the whole purpose of a degree (given you are paying for it eventually) is to build you the skills, confidence and ability to do anything you want in life. If your degree is not achieving that, what is the purpose of achieving a degree if it doesn't provide you with all the skills necessary to be successful. If you learn and can accomplish more with a foundation year, then the skills you benefit from will aid you far more than the year saved from doing a 3 year degree.

1) Computer Science at Keele. This is a software development degree. It's labelled computer science, but it focuses on web development, mobile development, programming, databases, and more. It is a great software development degree NOT a computer science degree. So, if you want a degree without much math, that focuses on software development, this is a good option.

I think the foundation year with computer science degree is great. The foundation year covers more core mathematical concepts compared to Keele.

However, Swansea's foundation year and degree doesn't cover some important concepts like calculus or university-level algebra, only the basics of mathematics, which may be limiting. But, it still covers more mathematics than Keele's CS degree.

Overall,
- Swansea is more comprehensive, especially if you want to pursue mathematically-inclined areas of CS, like Machine Learning and data science.
- Swansea offers more breadth and depth than Keele based solely on its syllabus (one caveat to this: Keele has less information about its syllabus compared to Swansea, so that could be the reason why).
- Both degrees have their flaws, with both not covering the ideal amount of mathematics needed, but Swansea does cover more mathematics than Keele.

So if you had to choose between the foundation year in computer science at Swansea or computer science at Keele, I would choose Swansea's foundation year in computer science degree.

Finally, your Kent university choice involves starting with Electrical Engineering, then switching courses. In this case, the foundation year WILL count as a bonus year of funding, which means you cannot fail a year at all, or you won't be able to complete your degree. Therefore, I don't recommend this option.

In conclusion, if I had to choose between your three options, I would choose Swansea's Computer Science with a Foundation Year, it is better than Keele when considering only the syllabus, and Kent I would not recommend taking their electronic engineering foundation year as you would lose 1 year of funding, which wouldn't happen if you chose Swansea's integrated foundation year course.

Thanks this is very helpful!
I just looked and its a joint maths and compsci foundation at swansea, therefore not integrated i believe. I think swansea is better as well considering only syllabus but employability seems around the same for both, and also swansea is 5 hours away from where i live compared to keele which is 2.5hrs making it slightly easier. Granted i know maths is very important in compsci, would going Keele then trying to do masters at a better university disadvantage me to the point ill burn out catching up with the maths content or is it doable.
I have no idea about this either, but if i complete first year at Keele, could i transfer to a better different university into 2nd year or even first year or will the application process be the same where they look at soley a-level grades.
The location of swansea is mainly the off putting thing, plus the extra year (which i could instead use for placement etc). @Baleroc
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by Baleroc

Overall,

Also since the funding being lost the same between swansea and kent, kent on discover uni website seems like a much better option for compsci granted i pass foundation year. I'm not sure about chances of getting onto the degree after foundation and what the pass percent has to be - will call them up tomo to find out more detail. I rather work really hard foundation year to get into Kent main programme than Swansea 1) since area is much closer 2) kent appeals much more to me, esp for future employability. Since its an enginerring foundation its mainly maths and physics, would it be useful too (obvs not as much as a foundation IN COMPSCI and maths) @Baleroc
(edited 7 months ago)
Also, instead i could do maths and compsci joint at Keele, tho i'll have to put 10x effort learning all the maths side from scratch, which im willing to do but is it a suicide mission ? Since you say Keele single compsci lacks the important maths,maybe choosing some maths modules important and boostful and could help in terms of going to keele? Please advice, thanks!

What A level grades did you get? Did you look at Brookes?
https://www.brookes.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/computer-science
Original post by Muttley79
What A level grades did you get? Did you look at Brookes?
https://www.brookes.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/computer-science

BCC. And no i did not look into brookes, and icl i dont plan to
BCC. And no i did not look into brookes, and icl i dont plan to

Why not? It's better than some you are considering.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending