The Student Room Group

Computer science?

Is it worth doing a comp science degree without A-level comp science and if so am I at a disadvantage
Reply 1
As long as you have A'level Maths (and further Maths for some of the 'top' unis, who encourage you to take it), you won't be at a disadvantage.
Original post by sym_tv
Is it worth doing a comp science degree without A-level comp science and if so am I at a disadvantage

@sym_tv

It's definitely worth doing a computer science degree without A-level computer science.

Like Mesub said, the top universities for computer science tend to require maths A-level rather than require computer science so that means there will be other students like yourself who also haven't studied computer science. At universities where computer science isn't required, first year will typically be used to give you an understanding and bring everyone up to the same level so you won't be disadvantaged.

If not having computer science is a worry and you feel you may be at a disadvantage, some universities will offer foundation years so I would recommend having a look into them and seeing if they would benefit you. Should you not want to do a foundation year, you can always look over some of the a-level content during the summer if you feel that would benefit you and give you a better understanding - there are lots of free websites and revision guides online that you will be able to look over to boost your confidence!

Here at Lancaster computer science isn't a required subject (neither is maths) and the degree is taught from the perspective that students haven't taken computer science before. Studying the computer science degree myself, many of my course mates who didn't take computer science don't feel that they are at a disadvantage or that studying it would've benefitted them due to the first year being used to teach the core topics which are then built on in years 2 and 3.

Hope all that helps!

Ella (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Reply 3
If you are good at algorithms and data structure no one is looking your a levels...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending