The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Birmingham Foundation year

I am in Y12 btw.
I would like to take Computer Science at Birmingham. I would need to do a foundation year. Do I apply on UCAS for computer science (G400) with the point of entry as Foundation year? Does this mean I need to achieve BBB to get onto the course? Not sure how this works
Reply 1
Original post by 1W019j
I am in Y12 btw.
I would like to take Computer Science at Birmingham. I would need to do a foundation year. Do I apply on UCAS for computer science (G400) with the point of entry as Foundation year? Does this mean I need to achieve BBB to get onto the course? Not sure how this works

You would need to apply for Physical Sciences Foundation Year. The link is here.https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/fd/physical-sciences-foundation.aspx#CourseDetailsTab. After you complete the foundation year you would progress onto the course of your choice or in your case cs. Just check the employability section for the link above to see what other courses you could progress into
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
Original post by nwfjn
You would need to apply for Physical Sciences Foundation Year. The link is here.https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/fd/physical-sciences-foundation.aspx#CourseDetailsTab. After you complete the foundation year you would progress onto the course of your choice or in your case cs. Just check the employability section for the link above to see what other courses you could progress into

Would not applying for comp sci with the point of entry as foundation year achieve the same thing?
Reply 3
Original post by 1W019j
Would not applying for comp sci with the point of entry as foundation year achieve the same thing?

No because you would be applying to comp sci and you would need A*AA and if you go to the UOB comp sci page and go to foundation year section the link would lead you to physical science foundation year. Comp sci at uob does not have a foundation year so putting the point of entry as 0/foundation would be meaningless as you would be rejected or they would offer the foundation year.There is no point in doing that and email the admissions team if you don't believe me.
Reply 4
Original post by nwfjn
No because you would be applying to comp sci and you would need A*AA and if you go to the UOB comp sci page and go to foundation year section the link would lead you to physical science foundation year. Comp sci at uob does not have a foundation year so putting the point of entry as 0/foundation would be meaningless as you would be rejected or they would offer the foundation year.There is no point in doing that and email the admissions team if you don't believe me.

Ok thanks,
Would I need to re-apply on UCAS for comp sci after completing the foundation year?
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by 1W019j
Ok thanks,
Would I need to re-apply on UCAS for comp sci after completing the foundation year?

No you wouldn't. Assuming you pass all the required modules for computer science they would change your course to cs.
Reply 6
Original post by nwfjn
No you wouldn't. Assuming you pass all the required modules for computer science they would change your course to cs.

How would I write my PS to incorporate this? As all unis will see the same PS, not sure how write about why I want to do the foundation year then go on to do computer science
Reply 7
Original post by 1W019j
How would I write my PS to incorporate this? As all unis will see the same PS, not sure how write about why I want to do the foundation year then go on to do computer science

It depends. Are the other uni's you are applying to only foundation years for Cs or are they a mixture of CS and foundations year. If it's a mixture, what i did was just talk about my interest in computer science and how programming was interesting etc and i got offers for the foundation year at UOB and CS at the other universities . But for foundation years only i think it would be the same but i am not sure so assuming you go six-form/college i would talk to someone that can help you with personal statements and discuss it with them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending