The Student Room Group

Struggling to get a job :(

I've applied to nearly every part-time job eligible for a 16 year old (okay maybe that's an exaggeration ><) but I've either been rejected or not even given a response so I am not sure what to do. I was really hoping to get a part time job in the summer because sitting at home all day is not my cup of tea.
Original post by M4teri4IGworI
I've applied to nearly every part-time job eligible for a 16 year old (okay maybe that's an exaggeration ><) but I've either been rejected or not even given a response so I am not sure what to do. I was really hoping to get a part time job in the summer because sitting at home all day is not my cup of tea.

Considered leaflet or paper-round distribution, contacted your daily area newspaper company for vacancies maybe…

tried this last year and was very hard too with minimal experience at 16.. try fast food places and retail. i got accepted at mcdonalds a month after gcses(last year) , bit hard job but pays well compared to otjher jobs u get at 16 and very flexible with scheduling for me. good luck mate

I was in the same position last year after gcses 😭
if you still don’t manage to get one then maybe consider volunteering in your local charity shop, you wouldn’t get paid but at least it’s something
Reply 4
Thanks so much everyone! I will consider to do paper round distribution because that doesn't sound too bad but if I do end up getting rejected, I will consider volunteering as a last resort ^^
Keep trying

There are zillions of job applicants looking for part time work at the moment. If you're rejected, don't take it personally. There are just too many people applying for each position.

The key here is perseverance. Alternatively you could set up your own business. That's what my daughter did, she's now a face painter in her spare time.

Hi @M4teri4IGworII would consider ways to improve your CV and applications to hopefully make your application stand out and ensure you come across well.

Here is some tips on CV and cover letter writing which will hopefully help you!

As other comments have mentioned, I wouldn't take it personally and continue to apply for jobs using Indeed, you are doing fab and I am sure you will find something soon. Have you considered applying for summer opportunities such as NCS? I really enjoyed NCS during the summer I left high school and I actually made one of my best friends through the programme.

Good luck!

Katie - Second year Educational Psychology student.
Reply 7
Original post by EdgeHillStudents
Hi @M4teri4IGworII would consider ways to improve your CV and applications to hopefully make your application stand out and ensure you come across well.

Here is some tips on CV and cover letter writing which will hopefully help you!

As other comments have mentioned, I wouldn't take it personally and continue to apply for jobs using Indeed, you are doing fab and I am sure you will find something soon. Have you considered applying for summer opportunities such as NCS? I really enjoyed NCS during the summer I left high school and I actually made one of my best friends through the programme.

Good luck!

Katie - Second year Educational Psychology student.

Hi Katie,
Thank you for the tips! Still haven't got a job haha but I'm not taking it personally.

I actually just came back from the NCS live it programme and it was really life-changing! I met lots of new people and it really did enhance my life skills so I am very grateful.

Quick Reply

Latest