The Student Room Group

PGCE Advice

Hi, I’m on a PGCE programme in my second placement and not enjoying it very much. My mentor is aware that I struggle with confidence during my lessons (I have only performed one so far and have been told all of this comes with time), in the back of my head I keep wanting to drop out and go back to my classroom assistant job with SEND however it was quite difficult however I found myself happy and had more balance and enjoyment in life. My course ends June / July time if I get to that stage although teaching increases majorly after Christmas which I’m not looking forward to. Advice? I have also moved country to begin the course and I’ve spent a lot of time and energy on the course so far. Help?
Original post by Twinkle123Fairy
Hi, I’m on a PGCE programme in my second placement and not enjoying it very much. My mentor is aware that I struggle with confidence during my lessons (I have only performed one so far and have been told all of this comes with time), in the back of my head I keep wanting to drop out and go back to my classroom assistant job with SEND however it was quite difficult however I found myself happy and had more balance and enjoyment in life. My course ends June / July time if I get to that stage although teaching increases majorly after Christmas which I’m not looking forward to. Advice? I have also moved country to begin the course and I’ve spent a lot of time and energy on the course so far. Help?

Hi @Twinkle123Fairy,
I am so sorry to hear that you are struggling. I now work for Get into Teaching but prior to this I was a primary teacher for 18 years. I was very good at it and loved my job. However, during my PGCE I almost dropped out because I too struggled at times. I know it doesn't feel like it right now, but your mentor is right. Confidence will come and you'll experience such a buzz when you do that first lesson that 'worked'. I now look back at how close I was to dropping out of the course and it fills me with sadness as I would have never had the career that I feel I was destined for, had I dropped out.
Basically, my advice is to stick at it for a bit longer. I did and I never regretted it. Keep talking to your mentor too and they are here to support you and develop you as a teacher.
Good luck!
Tracy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending