The Student Room Group

Uni student struggling to get a job in the summer

Hi,

I'm back from uni for the next two months and struggling to get a job, I have previous work experience but no one seems to want to hire me as I am temporary. I had the same job for a few years at my local pub and we all had a great relationship that I could potentially message to ask if they have any shifts going but when I went back in easter I couldn't work as I had a huge essay to work on and I was moving house but my boss said that if I was to get another job over the summer that it would be ok. So now I am questioning if I should ask for shifts even though we did have a good relationship but I am really struggling to find a job. I was wondering if anyone had any tips as getting frequent rejections is getting quite demoralising and I am aware that I am running out of time to save for going back to uni.
Hi,

Don't give up, because I'm sure you'll make it soon! I think reaching out to your old boss is a very good idea. Remember, better to ask the way than to go astray. It may turn out that they have shortcomings and need a reliable employee.

Other than that, make sure you have a well-formatted and constructed resume. Hand in your CV to places that are busier during the summer, such as restaurants or bars, where there are often vacancies.

I hope I could help! If you happen to have any questions, I will be more than happy to answer them here or on The Ambassador Platform, where you can chat with me and other students.

Fingers crossed! :wink:

Take care,

Julia :h:
I'd certainly recommend talking to your local pub again, you never know! Otherwise, try contacting some work agencies like Travail - they take pretty much everyone and can have work lined up within a week, with the freedom to easily cease work at any time as they're super flexible, at least in my experience.
Original post by georgiac2
Hi,

I'm back from uni for the next two months and struggling to get a job, I have previous work experience but no one seems to want to hire me as I am temporary. I had the same job for a few years at my local pub and we all had a great relationship that I could potentially message to ask if they have any shifts going but when I went back in easter I couldn't work as I had a huge essay to work on and I was moving house but my boss said that if I was to get another job over the summer that it would be ok. So now I am questioning if I should ask for shifts even though we did have a good relationship but I am really struggling to find a job. I was wondering if anyone had any tips as getting frequent rejections is getting quite demoralising and I am aware that I am running out of time to save for going back to uni.

Hi,

It is definitely worth asking your local pub, especially given the limited time you have got before you head back to uni. Otherwise, try considering jobs that usually have quick turn-around times, such as food delivery, warehouse jobs, and catering jobs including restaurants.

Kind regards,
Juzer
Cov Uni Student Ambassador
Original post by georgiac2
Hi,

Hi @georgiac2

I would definitely ask your local pub! Since you have a relationship with them, it’s likely they’d be happy to hire you again - even if it is temporary. If not, try places that tend to have high staff turnover, like restaurants, fast food places and warehouses.

Best of luck!

Estelle
Second Year Psychology Student
University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending